Photo

Fromelles

13 replies to this topic

#1 Desmond7

Desmond7

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,515 posts
  • Interests:12th Royal irish Rifles; Central Antrim; Irish Regts in general.

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:30 PM

This sub-forum has been created to provide forum membrs with an interest in Fromelles battles to provide information, seek information and exchange views.

There are obviously two MAIN areas of interest.

Fromelles May 1915.

Fromelles 1916.

For ease of reference any topics posted here (I suggest) should contain in their title 'Fromelles15: topic wording' or 'Fromelles16: topic wording'

#2 Fedelmar

Fedelmar

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,804 posts
  • Interests:Service Personnel of Albany W. Australia
    Service Personnel buried in Fremantle Cemetery W. Australia
    10th Light Horse
    11th Battalion
    44th Battalion (Battle of Broodseinde 4th October 1917)
    16th Battalion
    5th Australian Broad Gauge Railway Operating Company
    WWII 69th Searchlight Battery

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:31 PM

Des ... would it be worthwhile moving the other threads over to here?

Bright Blessings
Sandra

#3 59165

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,997 posts
  • Interests:Everything WW1 & before for depts 59 62 & 80 in France + Verdun & surrounding areas.Also a great cheese fan,same era.

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (Desmond7 @ May 5 2009, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are obviously two MAIN areas of interest.
Fromelles May 1915.
Fromelles 1916.

Brill!!!
I now have a place to play!
Thanks all.

#4 ianw

ianw

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:05 AM

Well done Des.

Yes, I agree that 1915/1916 will become an area of focus once the main works begin on site. Perhaps a bit of controversy there ?

I presume the other Fromelles threads will be gathered here?

To assist new and oll site vsitors, could this new sub-forum perhaps be mentioned in the "latest news" spot for a while to get it moving on? if Fromelles isn't "latest news", I don't know what is!

#5 Desmond7

Desmond7

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:21 AM

A number of people have PMd requesting threads on Fromelles be moved to this section. I am tentative about doing that without original posters' permissions.
I would be guided by Forum on this.
Ian - point taken.

Des

PS I am really an 'outsider' on Fromelles 15 & 16 ... ACTIVISTS and enthusiasts, your help is required.

Perhaps self editing of posts into relevant chunks? I.E. as previously stated .. appeals, pictures, graphics, action accounts, personal stories etc.

Will be happy to comply with 'movements' etc but 'text population' of the sub-forum is a membership role.

FINAL PS ... for the meantime, can we keep suggestions as to 'topics/method of posting/relevance' on this 'mission statement'?

#6 Fedelmar

Fedelmar

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,804 posts
  • Interests:Service Personnel of Albany W. Australia
    Service Personnel buried in Fremantle Cemetery W. Australia
    10th Light Horse
    11th Battalion
    44th Battalion (Battle of Broodseinde 4th October 1917)
    16th Battalion
    5th Australian Broad Gauge Railway Operating Company
    WWII 69th Searchlight Battery

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:25 AM

Des ... would it be easier to put the links to those threads in here and close them over there?

Bright Blessings
Sandra

#7 Chris_Baker

Chris_Baker

General

• Old Sweat
  • 13,942 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:41 AM

Just to be completely clear, what does Fromelles 1915 mean - the Battle of Aubers? Festubert? Trench warfare before and after that? All of that?

#8 Desmond7

Desmond7

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:06 AM

http://1914-1918.inv...p;#entry1178390

See above for Mel Pack's original request .. and what I (and I speak for myself) would see as the 'long term' outlook.

Just trying to accommodate members Chris .. there is little doubt that the name Fromelles is featuring heavily in the media at the moment (and why that should be is an entirely different debate). I was astonished to find that the Irish News (of all papers) carried a full page report and pics of events there on page 3 of this morning's edition!

As I have already stated, this may well be a good working model for long term forum categorisation of Western Front actions.

As you point out the 1915 actions at Fromelles fall under the official history/battle nomenclature for Aubers.

Des

#9 Chris_Baker

Chris_Baker

General

• Old Sweat
  • 13,942 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

Sorry, Des, I am still not quite there. If say I wished to discuss a man who died at Fromelles in December 1915, is that on or off this topic area?

#10 Desmond7

Desmond7

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

That's your personal choice Chris .. we are merely providing an opportunity as requested by the membership.

If you or anyone else wishes to use any of the other topic areas for questions or discussion on any aspect of Fromelles .. soldiers, western front etc ... I see absolutely no problem with that. As I state in the first post there are, in terms of postings on this Forum, two MAIN areas of interest in relation to the Fromelles area ... I am equally aware that many other events took place outside the two MAIN timeframes.

Should you choose to post in THIS sub-forum then perhaps topics which do not fall into the two main timeframes could be prefixed: Fromelles Dec. 1915?

But if you or anyone feels it will receive greater readership elsewhere on the forum, feel free to post ... I do not see this as an 'on or off topic' issue.

Des

#11 Chris_Baker

Chris_Baker

General

• Old Sweat
  • 13,942 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:43 AM

Thank you.

#12 ianw

ianw

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:12 AM

Excellent to see how this is already gathering place. Hopefully the forum will become a hub of Fromelles information. Great to see relatives coming here for information and guidance.

#13 Brian_Curragh

Brian_Curragh

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 866 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:48 AM

Is it worth putting something up on the big Fromelles thread - to the effect that now we have a sub-forum, it would make sense for new threads to be opened in there rather than tag onto the original one? Or even close the original thread to force the issue?

Newcomers brought in by the press coverage will not know their way around the Forum structure.

Just a thought
Brian

#14 Andrew Hesketh

Andrew Hesketh

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,371 posts
  • Interests:Sherwood Foresters. Nottingham Forest FC.

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:37 PM

Fair point Brian. I've posted something to that effect on the thread in question.