Photo

A long gone bunker

24 replies to this topic

#1 trenchtrotter

trenchtrotter

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,150 posts
  • Interests:The Western Front (all aspects, all nations). Collecting Great War militaria (uniforms and equipment). Visiting the battlefields (all areas, not just the British areas). Meeting fellow enthusiasts, good beer and French wine! Oh and Daleks!!!

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:05 PM

I was today looking through my "old fashioned" print photos of my trip to the Somme in 1987. Amongst the collection was an image of a small bunker in Gommecourt Village itself. If one approached from Fonquevillers it was on the right hand side almost as one entered Gommecourt.

Sadly it is long gone and the small plot of land on which it stood never had any new build etc.

I ask...

1. Anyone else remember it? What was its history etc?
2. Why was it removed?

I will try to scam an image but the quality wont be great.

Regards

TT

#2 Paul Reed

Paul Reed

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,632 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:06 PM

I'm pretty sure it is still there, now deep in undergrowth. Can't see any reason to remove it, considering the cost?

To my knowledge it was an entrance to the German dugouts in this area.

#3 trenchtrotter

trenchtrotter

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,150 posts
  • Interests:The Western Front (all aspects, all nations). Collecting Great War militaria (uniforms and equipment). Visiting the battlefields (all areas, not just the British areas). Meeting fellow enthusiasts, good beer and French wine! Oh and Daleks!!!

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:40 PM

Paul you may be right but I am sure we checked the spot this March and it was clear of growth etc. Will scan photo and then see if we are talking about the same structure.

Thanks for reply and I hope you are right and I am wrong!

Regards

TT

#4 Paul Reed

Paul Reed

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,632 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:44 PM

I know the one you mean. Somewhere I have a photo of it, but not digital. It was very similar to the bunker entrances at Guillemont.

#5 Mick D

Mick D

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,980 posts
  • Interests:Western Front
    Depeche Mode
    Prodigy
    Stereophonics

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:26 PM

look forward to the picture !

Mick

#6 Mick D

Mick D

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,980 posts
    Depeche Mode
    Prodigy
    Stereophonics

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

Any update on the photo gents ?

Mick

#7 trenchtrotter

trenchtrotter

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:21 PM

Will scan the image and post.

I think I know where it is in my box of photos.

Regards

TT

#8 Roger H

Roger H

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,412 posts
  • Interests:311th Brigade RFA. The salient from Boezinge to Ploegsteert and the Arras area. Moseley Rugby Club. British real ale and Belgian Beer.

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:41 PM

Come on TT - you are just teasing us now! tongue.gif

Roger

#9 Mick D

Mick D

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,980 posts
    Depeche Mode
    Prodigy
    Stereophonics

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

any update ?

Mick

#10 Steelback

Steelback

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Collect the WWI medals and interested in the history of the East Anglian Regiments.
    Bedfordshire, Essex,Cambridgeshire,Leicestershire,Lincolnshire,Hertfordshire,Norfolk and Suffolk Regiments.

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

There is a photo of a bunker on Google Earth taken in 2008. Posted Image http://www.panoramio...r=kh.google.com

#11 trenchtrotter

trenchtrotter

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

Steelback,

The 1918 bunker you have linked to is on the road from Fonquevillers to Hebuterne and overlook Gommecourt Park. It is no where near the village of Gommecourt itself and is not the one I refer to. The one I am on about is on the edge of the village as you enter on the road from Fonquevillers. I had forgotton about this post so wiull dig out the image if I can find it. I have also searched in vain for similar bunkers to your link which exist on the road to Souastre? Anyone help?

TT

#12 Mick D

Mick D

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,980 posts
    Depeche Mode
    Prodigy
    Stereophonics

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

Trenchtrotter,

Can you show on a map or describe where to find it ?

I tried using google street view and cannot find anything, I did find an overgrown patch of land on the left as you exit north from Gommecourt at the junction of Rue de la Chapelle with Rue de la Linchaux is this it ?

Also, do you know if it is possible to walk around the perimeter of Gommecourt Park ( old German front line) ?

Mick

#13 mebu

mebu

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

TT, the one on the road to Souastre, same pattern as at Hebuterene, which was on the right with a sunken bunker close by, was demolished about 2 years ago. I've got some photos somewhere There are another half a dozen of this pattern left today within a few miles.

Peter

#14 Steelback

Steelback

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Collect the WWI medals and interested in the history of the East Anglian Regiments.
    Bedfordshire, Essex,Cambridgeshire,Leicestershire,Lincolnshire,Hertfordshire,Norfolk and Suffolk Regiments.

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

I have found this one on flickr by someone called 'shipscompass' taken in 2010

Posted Image

#15 viking_raid

viking_raid

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:WW1 Newfoundland Regiment, and WW1 Newfoundland Naval Reserve Items. - I pay top dollar and take trades.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

Would love to see these bunkers first hand. Never been to the Western Front, but I will have to do the pilgrimage some day soon.

VR

#16 seadog

seadog

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

You appear to have posted the same comment 5 times for some reason. Thats new how did you manage this?

PS That is my photo thanks for posting it. Although dated 2010 that is the upload date the actual photo is much earlier.

Norman

#17 Keith Roberts

Keith Roberts

Lieut-General

• Admin
  • 6,002 posts
  • Interests:Researching the war of Greengates, those who served, and the community behind them. Yorkshire regiments, Belgian and other beers.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

I have removed the multiple posts. they can happen when either a connection is slow, or the forum is slow - sometimes the case when the database is having its daily backup. I have done it myself - repeatedly clicking on post, while waiting for something to happen

Keith

#18 Steelback

Steelback

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

Posted Image You have some great images on Flickr Posted Image

You appear to have posted the same comment 5 times for some reason. Thats new how did you manage this?

PS That is my photo thanks for posting it. Although dated 2010 that is the upload date the actual photo is much earlier.

Norman

#19 trenchtrotter

trenchtrotter

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

Mick,

If you are brave you can walk the perimeter but do get "snookered" every now and again and have to brave barbed wire and duck into woods. If worried about this you can do 70% ok and worth it as cracking trenches remain to be seen in wood especially German front line!!!!

TT

#20 trenchtrotter

trenchtrotter

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

Here is long promised image!!!

TT

Attached Files

#21 Roger H

Roger H

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,412 posts
  • Interests:311th Brigade RFA. The salient from Boezinge to Ploegsteert and the Arras area. Moseley Rugby Club. British real ale and Belgian Beer.

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

Better (very) late than never! :lol:

Roger

#22 seadog

seadog

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

Thanks for the kind comment in Post 18 here is a link to my photosets.

Flickr Photosets

Regards
Norman

#23 Mick D

Mick D

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,980 posts
    Depeche Mode
    Prodigy
    Stereophonics

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

TT,
Thanks very much for that, I'll look for it at the end of this month to see if it is still there .

Mick

#24 Mick D

Mick D

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,980 posts
    Depeche Mode
    Prodigy
    Stereophonics

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Well I tried to find the bunker remains but couldn't find a thing, a few hours with a strimmer might have found something though!

Mick

#25 trenchtrotter

trenchtrotter

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

Alas it is gone. When I was there in March all that was at the site was a macadam floor.

TT