Identifying Manufacturer of Brodie Helmet

22 replies to this topic

#1 Vince D

Vince D

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:00 PM

I have what appears to be a Brodie helmet of Great War vintage (rimless). It bears a stamping on the rim of X P H (or X H P, its not right in front of me). I have looked through earlier threads on this topic, but cant find this marking associated with any manufactuer or steel supplier. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 Torrey

Torrey

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:01 PM

Hello, Vince -

I have no listing of "X" or "PH" or "HP" Could it possibly be "V HS" ?

If the "X" is definite, it would indicat an american manufacturer. If that is the case, then the other figures should be numbers [e.g., "X 012"].

Otherwise, ?????? Can you take a photo of the markings?

Regards, Torrey

#3 Torrey

Torrey

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (Torrey @ Aug 28 2009, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello, Vince -

I have no listing of "X" or "PH" or "HP" Could it possibly be "V HS" ?

If the "X" is definite, it would indicat an american manufacturer. If that is the case, then the other figures should be numbers [e.g., "X 012"].

Otherwise, ?????? Can you take a photo of the markings?

Regards, Torrey

Vince - Sorry, I forgot that American markings are two letters followed by numerals [e.g., "VH 012"]. Torrey

#4 Vince D

Vince D

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (Torrey @ Aug 28 2009, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Vince - Sorry, I forgot that American markings are two letters followed by numerals [e.g., "VH 012"]. Torrey

Thanks Torrey. The markings are quite clear (definitely not V HS) and there are no numbers, just the letters. I will try to get a picture.

#5 Vince D

Vince D

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:54 PM

Ok, I went home at lunch. Battery dead on camera, so photo will need to wait. But I can confirm marking is X P H. The only other possible identifying characteristic is that the hook for the chin strap is attached with split pin, not rivet.

#6 Torrey

Torrey

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (Vince D @ Aug 28 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, I went home at lunch. Battery dead on camera, so photo will need to wait. But I can confirm marking is X P H. The only other possible identifying characteristic is that the hook for the chin strap is attached with split pin, not rivet.

Hello, Vince - I went home and checked my records and refreshed my memory. The only two American codes that I have seen are two-letter codes begining with "Z" (common) or "U" (much rarer). I have never seen an "X" code for either British or American Brodie helmets. I'm looking forward to your photos. Regards, Torrey

#7 Vince D

Vince D

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:16 AM

Torrey I have ried to attach a photo of the marking and an overall view of the helmet

Attached Files

#8 Vince D

Vince D

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:22 AM

Also an overall of the interior. A repro liner has been inserted and helmet painted apple green

Attached Files

#9 Wardog

Wardog

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 979 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:32 PM

Hello Vince. Any Brodie red markings stamped to the rear of the black liner/headband? I think also a closer overhead shot of the liner is needed. To be honest though at this stage I am thinking it could well be a reproduction. Regards, Paul.

#10 Vince D

Vince D

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

Hi Torrey. The liner is definitely reproduction.

QUOTE (Vince D @ Sep 2 2009, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Torrey. The liner is definitely reproduction.

Sorry, I meant Wardog

#11 Wardog

Wardog

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 979 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

Also repainted? Can you manage a close up of the split pin/chinstrap support/bail? With a magnet, will the magnet attach to the helmet? Cheers, Paul.

#12 Vince D

Vince D

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:57 PM

Thanks Paul. It has also been repainted. I will try the magnet test when I go home for lunch and try to get a clear close up of the strap attachment point.

#13 Vince D

Vince D

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:37 PM

Paul: The only part of the helmet to which a magnet sticks is the rear half of the "brim". Neither the "bowl" nor the front half of the brim seem to attract the magnet. Didnt get a chance to take a picture at lunch, but it is definitely a split pin attachment and not a rivet.

#14 Wardog

Wardog

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 979 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:53 PM

If the helmet had attracted a magnet with ease all over the shell it would have been a very good sign of an early shell, though not all early shells were such. On later 'Brodies' only the applied rim would attract a magnet. Cheers, Paul.

#15 Vince D

Vince D

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (Wardog @ Sep 2 2009, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the helmet had attracted a magnet with ease all over the shell it would have been a very good sign of an early shell, though not all early shells were such. On later 'Brodies' only the applied rim would attract a magnet. Cheers, Paul.

Thanks Paul. To summarize the "evidence" so far (some of which seems contradictory): 1) Rimless construction would tend to indicate early model (and definitely not US manufacture ?) 2) Split pin attachment would tend to indicate British manufacture (or at least not US manufacture) 3) Magnet test would tend to indicate later model 4) X P H marking definitely not British manufacure, but possibly US manufacture.

#16 Wardog

Wardog

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 979 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:49 PM

Just to point out that there are helmets for reenactors being made. I know that Belgium post WWII British type helmets are sometime encountered and were Belgium made, perhaps with there own manufacture marks. With such a helmet the rim could have been removed and the old rivets drilled out. Just a thought. Did you buy the helmet or have it passed on to you? Cheers, Paul. http://www.gostak.de...ets/belgium.htm
One other thing is that the last thing a collector would do is repaint a helmet. Any original finish is better than a repaint, which destroys historical finish and value. That said I guess there is nothing so far which totaly proves either way if this is an original shell or not.

#17 Vince D

Vince D

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE (Wardog @ Sep 2 2009, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just to point out that there are helmets for reenactors being made. I know that Belgium post WWII British type helmets are sometime encountered and were Belgium made, perhaps with there own manufacture marks. With such a helmet the rim could have been removed and the old rivets drilled out. Just a thought. Did you buy the helmet or have it passed on to you? Cheers, Paul. http://www.gostak.de...ets/belgium.htm

A good point to do some further investigation on and might explain discrepencies. I bought it in Belgium for reenacting purposes. Was not necessarily represented as original to the WWI period, but I assumed it to be so. Ill try to determine if the X H P is of Belgian post war origin. Thanks for all the help.

#18 Torrey

Torrey

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (Vince D @ Sep 2 2009, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Torrey I have ried to attach a photo of the marking and an overall view of the helmet

Hello, Vince - Thanks for the photo. I have never seen markings like that on either British or American-manufactured WWI helmets. I suspect that some of the other recent posts will help. Regards, Torrey

#19 Vince D

Vince D

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (Torrey @ Sep 9 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello, Vince - Thanks for the photo. I have never seen markings like that on either British or American-manufactured WWI helmets. I suspect that some of the other recent posts will help. Regards, Torrey

Thanks Torrey. I have posted inquiries in other forums as well....helmet collectors, military equipment generally but so far no definitive answers. Ill let you know when I find out something new.

#20 drop

drop

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:33 AM

<!--quoteo(post=1253966:date=Aug 28 2009, 03:54 PM:name=Vince D)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vince D @ Aug 28 2009, 03:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1253966"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok, I went home at lunch. Battery dead on camera, so photo will need to wait. But I can confirm marking is X P H. The only other possible identifying characteristic is that the hook for the chin strap is attached with split pin, not rivet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hello, Vince - I went home and checked my records and refreshed my memory. The only two American codes that I have seen are two-letter codes begining with "Z" (common) or "U" (much rarer). I have never seen an "X" code for either British or American Brodie helmets. I'm looking forward to your photos. Regards, Torrey

#21 drop

drop

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

Hey Torrey. I just aquired a WW1 helmet with the brim stamp of "UC308". I believe you stated it's rare. Can you please tell me more about it? I paid $21.00 for it but it has no liner or straps or pad. So "U" is american?

#22 Wardog

Wardog

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 979 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

Have in my head Y also turns up as 1st letter on some US made helmets. Regards, Paul.

#23 drop

drop

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:22 AM

i just recently seen and "X" helmet on e-bay recently. Went for about $46. I myself have one and another with a "U" on it along with a "Y".