soldiers that die of illness hmat ceramic

8 replies to this topic

#1 nita

nita

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:14 AM

Hi anyone-I'm stuck. I've been researching my grandfathers many failed attempts to join the AIF. One of the few reasons he was discharged in 1915 was I found a letter on his aaw file from an uncle claiming he was under age and to please discharge him immedately from service. This uncle is the only relative I have been able to trace to my grandfather (who none of his gchildren knew) so got quite excited when the letter was signed Corp. WSA Dunn 19th Batt. D Cpy. So now I have been looking for over a week on as many indexes databases as I can find and to no avail...until perhaps this "uncle" never embarked??? I've read many other soldiers files but there is a particular one that has the same surname in the 19th Batt.& Cpy but with different initials. His file is very sad but in there a witness letter does mention that there were "originally two dunns in the 19th D Cpy the first one died of Meningitis on the HMAT Ceramic and buried at sea when near the equator"..."they were not brothers".

So my story explained, here's my question. Do soldiers AIF files get lost? If yes, I will stop my search and move-on...also is there a record anywhere of soldiers dying en-route to war??

Thankyou for any help...I hope i've put this postin the correct place?? (not so good at this yet)

#2 Armidale

Armidale

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:46 AM

The AIF Project

Ray Wilfred DUNN

Regimental number 836
Place of birth Corowa, New South Wales
School Corowa Public School, New South Wales
Religion Methodist
Occupation Electrician
Address 'Ellawatta', Albury Road, Corowa, New South Wales
Marital status Single
Age at embarkation 18
Next of kin Father, Frederick Dunn, 'Ellawatta', Albury Road, Corowa, New South Wales
Enlistment date 13 February 1915
Place of enlistment Liverpool, New South Wales
Rank on enlistment Private
Unit name19th Battalion, C Company
Embarkation details Unit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT Ceramic on 25 June 1915
Rank from Nominal Roll Private
Unit from Nominal Roll 19th Battalion
Fate Died of disease 3 October 1915
Place of death or wounding Gallipoli, Turkey
Age at death 19
Place of burial Shrapnel Valley Cemetery (Plot I, Row F, Grave No. 1), Anzac, Gallipoli, Turkey
Panel number, Roll of Honour,
Australian War Memorial
Parents: Frederick and Martha DUNN, Corowa, New South Wales
Family/military connections Brother: 6495 Pte Walter Frederick DUNN, 3rd Bn. returned to Australia, 31 May 1919
Other detailsWar service: Egypt, Gallipoli

Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal

Copyright The AIF Project, UNSW@ADFA, 2008

#3 IPT

IPT

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:02 AM

But if you click on 19th battalion c company above, he's the only Dunn on the embarkation list?

#4 Armidale

Armidale

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE (IPT @ Oct 15 2009, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But if you click on 19th battalion c company above, he's the only Dunn on the embarkation list?

G'day

We probably have a bit of fine tuning to do yet. We are dealing with hearsay evidence that has been re circulated a few times. A possible scenario is that the younger brother 'signed' with the elder brother's unit, was dobbed in, and signed with another later. (I have a family example of exactly that at Rutherglen). Subsequently we have huge movements of troops and eye witnesses may mix dates etc, or their evidence may become misinterpreted. There were many instances where 'transfers' were arranged to rejoin brothers or mates who had been separated.
Once Nita can identify the key players we should be collectively able to trace their service.

regards

#5 Armidale

Armidale

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:35 AM

'Thankyou for any help...I hope i've put this post in the correct place?? (not so good at this yet)"

er no! this is not in the right place,,,,,,But I'm not good enough to be able to move it.

#6 nita

nita

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (Armidale @ Oct 16 2009, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
'Thankyou for any help...I hope i've put this post in the correct place?? (not so good at this yet)"

er no! this is not in the right place,,,,,,But I'm not good enough to be able to move it.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR HELPING OUT, I really appreciate it. rolleyes.gif

I will try another angle on my grandfather, he's been very mysterious up to this point with three different surnames while enlisting. Robert William Henry James PEARSON, HUMPHRIES, DUNN, DOB 21 Aug 1900. Hence my excitement when I may have got a confirmed "relative" to branch out on...not to be. I've got to say though, that there are some amazing research indexes out there that without them I wouldn't have got anywhere!! It's also got me hooked into WWI and how incredibly thankful we should be of these men.

Wish I could move this post to the correct TOPIC line, so I'm not interrupting others. Can I ask an administrator to do it???

#7 nita

nita

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (Armidale @ Oct 16 2009, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
G'day

We probably have a bit of fine tuning to do yet. We are dealing with hearsay evidence that has been re circulated a few times. A possible scenario is that the younger brother 'signed' with the elder brother's unit, was dobbed in, and signed with another later. (I have a family example of exactly that at Rutherglen). Subsequently we have huge movements of troops and eye witnesses may mix dates etc, or their evidence may become misinterpreted. There were many instances where 'transfers' were arranged to rejoin brothers or mates who had been separated.
Once Nita can identify the key players we should be collectively able to trace their service.

regards

thank you again Armidale - I will keep trying.

#8 Black

Black

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (nita @ Oct 16 2009, 06:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR HELPING OUT, I really appreciate it. :rolleyes:

I will try another angle on my grandfather, he's been very mysterious up to this point with three different surnames while enlisting. Robert William Henry James PEARSON, HUMPHRIES, DUNN, DOB 21 Aug 1900. Hence my excitement when I may have got a confirmed "relative" to branch out on...not to be. I've got to say though, that there are some amazing research indexes out there that without them I wouldn't have got anywhere!! It's also got me hooked into WWI and how incredibly thankful we should be of these men.

Wish I could move this post to the correct TOPIC line, so I'm not interrupting others. Can I ask an administrator to do it???

Nita,

Contact me by PM. I may be able to help you with information on the 19th Battalion.

Black

#9 brucehubbard

brucehubbard

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,731 posts
  • Interests:Almost anything to do with the Western Front, dating from research into the war dead of Maghull and Ainsdale. Currently a tour guide, and loving it.

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:24 AM

Nita needs to have posted five times before being able to send or receive a PM. This is to stop spammers.
Get two more contributions, and Robert is Mum's brother!

Bruce