3 replies to this topic

#1 2nd A&SH

2nd A&SH

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:49 AM

Hi All,

This is my first posting. Thank you for allowing me to join.

I have been trying to research my Great Grandfather S/9456 Sgt. Alexander Clark Bryson of 6 Platoon, B Company, 2nd Battalion, A&SH. He was awarded the Military Medal for actions which took place in April 1917. He was also Mentioned In Dispatches for 23rd September 1918.

I have found his MIC and Service Records on Ancestry.co.uk. I have also found where he is mentioned for his MM in the London Gazette.

I have now received a reply from the A&SH museum and they have very kindly sent a copy of the Battalion Diary for 20th - 23rd Sept. 1918. He is not mentioned in person, but it is the action for which he was MIDs. Also included is a map for the Villers-Guislain area. However, the map does not provide any details which relate to the Battalion Diary. The diary mentions such locations as "Leith Walk", "Gloster Road", "Storar Avenue" and "Derby Post". By going through trench maps on this forum I have managed to find all but "STORAR AVENUE" and "DERBY POST". If someone could help please by marking them on the attached map or attaching a map showing their locations, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Allan Clark Bryson.

Forum1.jpg Forum2.jpg

#2 2nd A&SH

2nd A&SH

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:53 AM

Villers_Guislain_MapForum.jpg

#3 Roger H

Roger H

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:311th Brigade RFA. The salient from Boezinge to Ploegsteert and the Arras area. Moseley Rugby Club. British real ale and Belgian Beer.

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

Allan

Here you are (from the Naval and Military Press Trench Map Atlas DVD):

Storar_Derbyv1.jpg

Roger

#4 2nd A&SH

2nd A&SH

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

Hi Roger,

Thank you so much for the information. It has truly helped in relating the Battalion Diary extracts to the map.

Regards

Allan