#1 john gregory

john gregory

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,197 posts
  • Interests:5th Battalion Notts & Derby,

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:56 PM

Attached File  img659.jpg   39.91KB   3 downloads

I thought I would start a new thread on the men wearing them, here is a Notts and Derby one.

#2 john gregory

john gregory

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,197 posts
  • Interests:5th Battalion Notts & Derby,

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

Attached File  img660.jpg   52.29KB   2 downloads

Another Notts and Derby, it's not very clear on the scan but there is a T 8 on as well.

#3 BRONNO

BRONNO

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:All Campaigns and Battalions of The Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regt) 45th/95th Foot

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:56 PM

Hi John, here is one from my collection with the single 'T', i will sort a few pictures out of some being worn. BRONNO.

Attached File  slip_on.JPG   83.64KB   1 downloads

#4 Mick D

Mick D

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,986 posts
  • Interests:Western Front
    Depeche Mode
    Prodigy
    Stereophonics

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

I don't know anything about these slip on titles, but I'm suspicious about sets of DLI titles that appear on Ebay fairly regularily.

They always seem to new and perfect considering their age.

Mick

#5 Peter Doyle

Peter Doyle

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 909 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:49 PM

I believe that most of these, despite looking pristine, are actually genuine = the result of some surplus stockpile somewhere!

Peter

#6 Mick D

Mick D

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,986 posts
    Depeche Mode
    Prodigy
    Stereophonics

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:57 PM

Peter,
Do you have a photograph of such a shoulder title ?

Mick

#7 tocemma

tocemma

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:22 PM

Mick,

I believe most of the mint stock came from Hobson's when they closed their factory in Tooley Street and relocated to Thundersley. There were large quantities of some Regimental titles. A lot of their sample stock also came onto the market at that time, still tied in bundles. Lots of badge dealers had them at the time. I have a few of these cards with samples still attached.
The originals are quite distinctive in terms of the materials used and modern made copies should be easy to spot. Not least the quality of the thread used for the embroidery. Fortunately there are plenty of low priced originals available to compare. The scarcer unit titles, some of which I'm pleased to say have been posted by contributors here, are changing hands for quite high prices now.

Could you post an image of the examples you are concerned about Mick. I'm sure we have enough experience between us to decide if they are right or not.

Kind regards

Tocemma

#8 Mick D

Mick D

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,986 posts
    Depeche Mode
    Prodigy
    Stereophonics

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:27 PM

I don't have any, I often wish I knew what to look for as I'd like to put together a DLI specific display. I see the slip on ones from time to time, but as I have previously said, I thought they were too good to be true !

Mick

#9 Wainfleet

Wainfleet

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,677 posts
  • Interests:The British Army in the First World War.

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:27 PM

Mick

In the 80s a very large stock of original, unissued slip-ons turned up. DLI was prominent, as also were Suffolk, Border, Hants, RGA, RE, and to a lesser extent RFA, RAMC, RF, TC and KOYLI. The Hants (at one time the commonest) and TCs seem to have disappeared, which seemed impossible at the time but it shows how the market absorbs everything eventually. Anyway, the DLI titles are all fine, in fact most slip-ons are, though TC have been repro'd. As far as I can tell, so far the copies are the of woven wool ones, and not the printed or woven gaberdine-type material.

Regards,

W.

Add: Just noticed that I've repeated some of the info in TE's post - the danger of doing this after coming in at night....

#10 hmsk212

hmsk212

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:44 PM

My great grandfather in the Essex Regiment

Steve

Attached Files

#11 Peter Doyle

Peter Doyle

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 909 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE (Mick D @ Mar 4 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you have a photograph of such a shoulder title ?

here you go!
Peter

Attached Files

#12 tocemma

tocemma

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:42 AM

The sad thing about the Hobson's stock cards was that the more esoteric the items the less people wanted them. I remember sorting through dozens of cards with small samples of Hussar and Lancer cap cords and tunic loops. They were also dozens of cards with cavalry waistbelt sash samples on. All small pieces of material, but meticulously identified and some with prices too. Lots of pre-amalgamation stuff. Very sad really, I bet an awful lot of it ended up in a skip or on a bonfire somewhere.

Tocemma

#13 Graham Stewart

Graham Stewart

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,215 posts
  • Interests:Researching and collecting militaria to the Northumberland Fusiliers from the raising of the regiment to 1968, and the new Royal Regiment of Fusiliers from 1968 to present day.
    My other interests are the study of British Army in general, and in particular units raised during the Great War, especially the Volunteer Training Corps/Volunteer Force.

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:11 AM

Attached File  WWI_NF_cloth_title.jpg   29.26KB   1 downloads

One of two patterns of slip-on worn by the Northumberland Fusiliers.

#14 Mick D

Mick D

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,986 posts
    Depeche Mode
    Prodigy
    Stereophonics

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:40 AM

Peter/Graham,
Thanks for the images they are the type that I've seen.
Are the letters on the right hand side Suffolk one a transfer or painted on ?

Mick

#15 Grovetown

Grovetown

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:23 AM

Herewith a few of the less common ones on my collection (pairs omitted for space). I particularly like - albeit somewhat shagged - the cut down Bedford's one.

Best wishes,

GT.

#16 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Lieut-General

• Old Sweat
  • 10,874 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

Please can some one give me chapter and verse of from when until when these slip-ons were issued?

Also, I have searched in vain for a thread on coloured plain slip-ons used to denote function in the unit: runner, orderly etc.

Any clues please?

#17 pioneercorps

pioneercorps

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 731 posts
  • Interests:15th ( Carmarthenshire ) Battalion, Welsh Regt. Driven around the 15th Regt Cemeteries and Battle Fields. Been a collector WW1. Model maker of sorts.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

Please can some one give me chapter and verse of from when until when these slip-ons were issued?

Also, I have searched in vain for a thread on coloured plain slip-ons used to denote function in the unit: runner, orderly etc.

Any clues please?

Hi GRUMPY

When the battle dress was introduced in March 1938, metal shoulder title were not intended to be worn on its shoulder straps, at the beginning of hosilities and as an economy measure directed towards saving metal and also as a security device, slip-on titles of khaki cloth with lettering in black thread had been introduced to be worn, not just on the Battle Dress blouse but also on the Khaki Drill jacket and the Khaki Drill Shirt.
ADDED;
As well as the machine stitched versions of the khaki cloth slip-on there was also a printed version of the same thing.

Regards.
Gerwyn

#18 Andrew Upton

Andrew Upton

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,594 posts
  • Interests:Collecting the uniforms, arms, accoutrements and medals primarily of the Commonwealth countries from WW1, as well as being a member of the Great War living history group The Vickers Machine Gunners Society 1914-45. Looking for anything militarily related to the names of COSST, DENSLEY, DUREPAIRE, SHOPLAND and UPTON.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

When the battle dress was introduced in March 1938, metal shoulder title were not intended to be worn on its shoulder straps, at the beginning of hosilities and as an economy measure directed towards saving metal and also as a security device, slip-on titles of khaki cloth with lettering in black thread had been introduced to be worn, not just on the Battle Dress blouse but also on the Khaki Drill jacket and the Khaki Drill Shirt.
ADDED;
As well as the machine stitched versions of the khaki cloth slip-on there was also a printed version of the same thing.

This isn't strictly true - it would be fairer to say that slip-on titles were re-introduced at this time. From post 9 of the following thread:

http://1914-1918.inv...opic=88885&st=0

To add to what Graham has posted the slip-on worsted shoulder titles were introduced in early 1916 (actual pattern sealing started in late 1915) to replace the brass titles (as far as I can tell all units had pattern seealed examples but not sure all had manufactured examples). These never really were popular at least from them actually replacing the brass titles, howver photos of these things in use in France are fairly common.

As introduced they slipped on the shoulder tab. However at least by Feb 1917 the BEF issued a GRO 2137 (13.2.17) which stated that all worsted shoulder titles will in future be worn on the sleeve just below the point of the shoulder. This GRO may have been preceded by an ACI--but I'm not sure.

#19 mark holden

mark holden

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 878 posts
  • Interests:Sherwood Foresters, Lincolns, Worcestershire Regiments. <br />Officers Uniforms and effects.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

Some of mine

and Notts and Derby variants shown in previous threads by Grovetown and Bronno.

Attached Files

#20 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Lieut-General

• Old Sweat
  • 10,874 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

Some of mine

and Notts and Derby variants shown in previous threads by Grovetown and Bronno.

Oh!, may we please share the others that you have, as a Forum asset, please?

#21 pioneercorps

pioneercorps

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 731 posts
  • Interests:15th ( Carmarthenshire ) Battalion, Welsh Regt. Driven around the 15th Regt Cemeteries and Battle Fields. Been a collector WW1. Model maker of sorts.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

[quote name='Andrew Upton' timestamp='1331079885' post='1722071']
This isn't strictly true - it would be fairer to say that slip-on titles were re-introduced at this time. From post 9 of the following thread:

Hi Andrew

I always wait in anticipation :ph34r: , to what I'm going get, you have let me off lightly :thumbsup: . on the subject of books, I did a search on military uniforms, whilst looking, I came accross this book, is the price, a misprint.

Badge Backings and Special Embellishments of the British Army

Regards.
Gerwyn

#22 mark holden

mark holden

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 878 posts
  • Interests:Sherwood Foresters, Lincolns, Worcestershire Regiments. <br />Officers Uniforms and effects.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

Border Regt

Attached Files

#23 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Lieut-General

• Old Sweat
  • 10,874 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

[quote name='pioneercorps' timestamp='1331217748' post='1722770']
[quote name='Andrew Upton' timestamp='1331079885' post='1722071']

Hi Andrew

I always wait in anticipation :ph34r: , to what I'm going get, you have let me off lightly :thumbsup: . on the subject of books, I did a search on military uniforms, whilst looking, I came accross this book, is the price, a misprint.

Badge Backings and Special Embellishments of the British Army

Regards.
Gerwyn
[/quote

The book is a good one, and out of print but ..............

Was there anything you want me to look-up?

#24 pioneercorps

pioneercorps

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 731 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

Hi GRUMPY

Thank you for your kind offer Mate, I bought one new, cost then £10.95, I will now look after it.

Cheers.
Gerwyn

#25 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Lieut-General

• Old Sweat
  • 10,874 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

Hi GRUMPY

Thank you for your kind offer Mate, I bought one new, cost then 10.95, I will now look after it.

Cheers.
Gerwyn

I think I will put mine in the safe.