Photo

Abu Tellul

9 replies to this topic

#1 Nick

Nick

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:2/4th Royal West Kents<br />1/5th Buffs<br />Palestine Campaign<br />Mesopotamia<br />Gallipoli<br />The Turkish Army

Posted 26 May 2004 - 12:19 PM

I'm keen to read more on this encounter between the Germans and the ALH in 1918. The only map I have though is rather small and not doing my eyes much good!

If anyone has a scanned copy of a decent map of the action I'd love to see it and reduce my optician charges.

#2 Robert Dunlop

Robert Dunlop

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,466 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 07:15 PM

Here's the southern end of the battle

Attached Files

#3 Robert Dunlop

Robert Dunlop

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,466 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 07:17 PM

And the northern extent (composite map)

Attached Files

#4 Robert Dunlop

Robert Dunlop

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,466 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 07:18 PM

HOPE THE MAPS ARE VISIBLE 8-)

#5 Deleted_stevenbec_*

Deleted_stevenbec_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:57 PM

For your interest Mate.

On the west side of the Jordan the is shown an advance by one company of the 2nd Bn Camel Corps.

This company was the 8th British Company and was suported by the 18th Australian Company.

This advance or attack was undertaken in some hurry and the Troops had not move to far up the valley when they were hit by a heavy cross fire from the Turks/Germans, forcing the attack to stop. The company commander of the 8th Brit company was wounded, his name was Inchabald and wrote a number of books about his expirences in the Camel Corps.

So the notation should read two companies not one.

S.B

#6 Nick

Nick

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:2/4th Royal West Kents<br />1/5th Buffs<br />Palestine Campaign<br />Mesopotamia<br />Gallipoli<br />The Turkish Army

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:25 AM

Excellent stuff chaps, thanks. My aching eyes can now feast themselves. I was looking at a map on the Australian Oficial history which hasn't printed out at all clearly on my bargain basement printer.

I'm surprised this encounter isn't so widely covered in the commonly available literature - it seemingly being one of the few times that german formations were deployed on the offensive in the theatre. Maybe because it was a mainly ALH affair the Brits have tended not to look at it so much.

Interesting about the camel corps too, thanks Steve.

Nick

#7 Robert Dunlop

Robert Dunlop

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,466 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (Nick @ Thu, 27 May 2004 11:25:43 +0000)
I'm surprised this encounter isn't so widely covered in the commonly available literature

Nick

I agree. It is a fascinating engagement for lots of reasons.

Robert

#8 Deleted_stevenbec_*

Deleted_stevenbec_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2004 - 09:44 PM

What also made this a keep away point for Ausssie writers is the sad fact that the 4th LH Bde was forced to abandoned the guns of the RHA and most of the Bde Transport.

Now this Bde had recieved all the press about its charge at Beersheba how would it look if the Civiys found out about this set back.

Allenby's press was always good from turning an attack into only a raid.

I think this action (I mean the full Raid) should be looked at more closely for what Allenby was trying to do.

S.B

#9 Robert Dunlop

Robert Dunlop

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,466 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 07:41 AM

Excellent point about the abandonment of the guns. I had not considered this.

Robert

#10 moziho

moziho

Private

• Members2
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

Gentlemen,

I've just joined this web forum and noticed this dialogue.

My grandfather was the officer commanding at 'View' post who ordered his men to standing-to about 1.00am and alerted Australian force to the pending attack at Abu Tellul. He requested and got the artillery barrage, which caused the attacking German and Turkish force to redeploy directly into the already repositioned Australian machine guns at Vale, View and Veux posts. Result - the first and only time a significant German force was put in was definitively defeated. Allenby was impressed and personally decorated my grandfather with the MC a short while later.

Just as a point of order, the account of this battle in the Official History of Australia in the War of 1914-1918, Vol VII, Sinai and Palestine (H.S. Gullett), Chapter XXXIX, ABU TELLUL, was widely criticised to describe many inaccuracies by my Grandfather and his colleagues.

Reply to this topic