• Old Sweats
  • 3,428 posts
  • Interests:War Diaries.
    Original published unit histories.

BEF in 1914
    Gallipoli
    Yeomanry 1902-1922

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:48 PM

Hi - I plan to go to Gallipoli for the first time in late July for a week. Having never been before I wonder if anyone who has been can give me some tips on what to take. I am going alone as I am going to be 95% focused on Suvla Bay/Scimitar Hill and the Yeomanry area of operation but do plan to drift as far as Hill 60 to pay my respects to the "Bravest of the Brave"
I am driving down from Istanbul in order to have independent mobility when I am down there. I do plan to do some serious legwork on the ground. I also plan to stay at Gallipoli Houses unless anyone feels there is a better place. My main questions are;

1. Can I buy a decent large-scale modern map there? (The battlefield-guide maps that I have are woeful)
2. Are there any local guides (people) worth seeking out?
3. Does anyone know where the majority of burials/memorials for the Indian Mule Corps are? Ditto Zion Mule Corps?.
4. If dog biscuits don't work, how big a stick do I need to beat off the sheep-dogs?

If anyone needs any specific photos taking while I am there, do let me know as I will have wheels and time.

Regards

Martin

PS I am reading Geoffrey Moorhouse's "Hell's Foundations - A Social History of the Town of Bury in the Aftermath of the Gallipoli Campaign". Outstanding. Meticulously researched and beautifully and compassionately written.

#2 Jonathan Saunders

Jonathan Saunders

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:29 AM

Best advice. Email Eric of Gallipoli Houses - also a member of this Forum as Plumed Goose. I am sure he can give you the best "local" advice.

Regards,

Jonathan S

#3 bluedog

bluedog

Lieut-Colonel

• R.I.P.
  • 555 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:41 AM

I will second Jonathon's advice.

Peter

#4 judy7007

judy7007

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Gallipoli, Palestine, memorials

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:53 AM

And having just come back from 8 days at Galllipoli Houses I couldn't agree more with above comments. It will be very hot (as you would know), the water at Gallipoli Houses is safe to drink so we filled water bottles, didn't find the dogs needed 'beating off' but they do give you 'the eye' and we found it better to look the other way (although it's hard when you know the dogs are there!) and also used trekking poles (which we found were a huge asset for taking weight off knees and hips (and were always in hand in case of unwanted attention from the dogs). Eric will have all the info you need (and more). Have a great time.

Judy

#5 gem22

gem22

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:18 AM

Martin

The Holt's Gallipoli Battlefield Guide will get you around quite well. However you can also get a Peninsula Historical Park map that is available from the museum near Eric's; you pass it on the way to Anzac and Suvla. It's nowhere near as expensive as the Holt's book.
Might I recommend you take long trousers for your visit to Suvla because the vegetation on Kiretch Tepe fights back and sun burnt legs don't like sharp thorns; in my painfully learnt experience.
The dogs were more of a problem to motorists than walkers in my experience but from the safety of the car it didn't bother me.
Thinking of cars it's a lot cheaper to travel down from Istanbul by coach and rent a car from Miller's. If you ask Eric to book the coach ticket he'll make sure that the company know that you want to get off at the car rental depot; which is en route anyway. I imagine that you've reserved a rental car already but you might want to bear this in mind for the future. Renting from the airport in Istanbul usually means you cannot set out till midday, which is OK for the outbound trip, but you have to be back by 1pm on the return trip or risk paying for an extra, unwanted, day.
Miller's cars may leave a bit to be desired but it's a lot more convenient. The drive down is boring and has few rest stops; and do make sure you use the motorway on the way out of Istanbul. The coast road is a real pain to drive.
Whichever you do enjoy your trip. It's a great place to explore.

Garth

#6 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,112 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:48 AM

Miller's cars may leave a bit to be desired but it's a lot more convenient

Garth,

you may have been lucky there. In March we received adverse reports from more than one source regarding this company, so we ended up using someone else, and did not regret it.
As with so many other things for these trips, if you are staying at the Gallipoli Houses and wish to hire a car locally, then I would suggest first checking with your host [Eric - the plummed goose] to get an up-date on the latest situation

Good luck
Michael

#7 judy7007

judy7007

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 999 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:04 AM

We printed out some images from Google earth which we found very useful, carried in a plastic map holder. We went through these with Eric and it helped enormously to know we were making our way along a track and not a firebreak. We did not have a car and could quite easily walk back to GH from Chunuk Bair. One group we met had hired a car in Istanbul and vowed never to do so again (the drive, not the car hire establishment). The others had come to Gelibolu on the coach and picked up a car at Millers. We took the coach from Istanbul to Eceabat where Eric was waiting for us! (Can't wait to go back)

Judy

#8 Martin G

Martin G

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,428 posts

BEF in 1914
    Gallipoli
    Yeomanry 1902-1922

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:59 PM

Dear All - many thanks for your responses. Looks like there is consensus on Gallipoli Houses. I really appreciate the advice. Thanks. MG

#9 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,112 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:47 PM

Looks like there is consensus on Gallipoli Houses

Without a doubt MG. Please note that this is not shameless plugging, but a simple statement of fact.

Until I stayed there (the Gallipoli Houses) I had probably been guilty of thinking that perhaps they were handy for Suvla and Anzac, but what about traveling each day to Helles?
Well, in March I think that in the end we actually spent at least half of our time at Helles. If you want to cover all three fronts of this campaign, and if you have a car at your disposal, then there is absolutely nothing to stop you using the Gallipoli Houses. The drive down to Helles is not at all a problem, either in the matter of the roads or the minimal amount of time involved. It is certainly a whole lot better than crossing The Straits each day, and the warmth of the hospitality at Kocadere has to be seen to be believed: the under-floor heating in March was in fact too much ohmy.gif

regards
Michael

#10 MartinWills

MartinWills

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:00 PM

Returning to maps, the Peninsula Historical Park map is excellent - though it is not always in print.

The Holts map is not perfect by any means and lacks real detail.

Some trench maps are available on the WFA Gallipoli Map disc (See Western Front Association site)

#11 bluedog

bluedog

Lieut-Colonel

• R.I.P.
  • 555 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:41 AM

Gallipoli Historical Park map available at Gaba Tepe Meseum for 2.50 Turkish Lira

Peter

#12 Martin G

Martin G

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,428 posts

BEF in 1914
    Gallipoli
    Yeomanry 1902-1922

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hello and thanks again.....

Michaeldr - I am booked into The Gallipoli Houses (11-16 Jul) and have spoken with Eric Goosens. He was exceedingly helpful. Thanks to you (and others) for your endorsement. This trip has been 10 years in the waiting.....

MartinWills/Bluedog - Thanks for the tip on the Map.

Regards

Martin

#13 judy7007

judy7007

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 999 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (Martin G @ Jun 16 2010, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... I am booked into The Gallipoli Houses (11-16 Jul) and have spoken with Eric Goosens. He was exceedingly helpful. ... This trip has been 10 years in the waiting.....

Regards

Martin

Martin

Have a great trip. I hope it is everything you have been waiting for...and a lot more. You will certainly not be disappointed in your choice to stay at Gallipoli Houses.

best regards
Judy

#14 vbeach

vbeach

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:48 PM

Hi Martin

Nice to see someone else with a keen interest in Suvla. I'm sure you will enjoy your stay at Eric's, an Efes or two and your morning call. Keith and I will be making our 6th trip to Galliopli Houses in September when once again we will be spending a lot of time visiting the Suvla area. We have always driven down from or near Ataturk Airport. Whilst Istanbul city roads are very busy - once out of the city, the route is straight forward. Motorways are fine and cheap (take a card on entry, pay on exit) as is the dual carriageway which runs in parallel. Plenty of fuel en route. We have not used the coast road. If you want any specfic travel advice, please PM me and I will do all I can to help.

When on the peninsula, we have not found dogs to be a problem - although you do get the odd one which leaps out at the car as you drive by which is a surprise the first time it happens, but you soon get used to it. When walking, you will typically hear the bells from a herd of goats - just keep out of the way to minimise problems and return later. As suggested - a walking pole is very useful. For our last trip, we hired a 4x4 - not the cheapest way to do it - but invaluable if you want to go off piste. Some of the tracks can be challenging for a normal road car - espcially in the Suvla area.

I agree with previous comments re maps - Holts is OK, but not that detailed. I would suggest, if I may, taking a print out or two from Google Earth before you go. Note that Eric has wireless internet connectivity and (when we were last there) had a PC in his pre-dining area that was available for guest use.

We have the same problem as you with the IWM maps not running on 64-bit PCs - or, the Naval Press say, under Vista or Windows 7 on 32-bit. The CD is now much cheaper to buy - it looks like a revised version may be due soon. Do you have the Western Front Association 'Mapping the Front' CD? This has some very good trench maps of Gallipoli on it.

Depending on your available time - if you do visit Helles, I would suggest doing this during the week as that area can be busy with coach tours at the weekend (ask Eric to explain!). Suvla on a weekend is normally very peaceful by contrast. Another favourite of ours which we can recommend is Gully Ravine - although this may not be your immediate focus of interest - it is quite a place and worth a visit if you can find the time.

We are also trying to overlay trench maps on Google Earth - early stages. It might help to share info? Again, if you think so, please PM me.

If you think you have a strong interest in Gallipoli now, be prepared for it to rack up a couple of degrees - it gets to you. Have a safe journey over and a wonderful time at Gallipoli Houses and the surrounds. Look forward to hearing your thoughts when you return.

Lyn

#15 Martin G

Martin G

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,428 posts

BEF in 1914
    Gallipoli
    Yeomanry 1902-1922

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

Lyn many thanks for your thoughts on travel etc. Good tip on avoiding Helles at the wekend. I will PM you regarding Map overlays on Google. Thanks again for all your advice.

Martin

#16 (nzef)

(nzef)

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 517 posts
  • Interests:New Zealand and WW1

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:42 AM

Hi All,

Just to put my two cents in :-)

Each time I have visited I have stayed at the Eceabat Hotel. This is run by TJ, a well known local guide. The hotel is right by the ferry terminal and although it has dorm type rooms, I always go for a hotel style room. I find it very central to everything. I organised a car to take me to ANZAC & Helles (very cheap!!!) and pick me up later (via a phone call). I also liked the fact that I could go to local restaurants e.t.c e.t.c.

A daily flight to Eceabat from Istanbul gets you down there in 30 minutes. I prefer this to a long drive.

Anyway. I'm sure you will enjoy (if that is the right word) your trip.

Cheers

#17 (nzef)

(nzef)

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 517 posts
  • Interests:New Zealand and WW1

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:45 AM

Ops - Forgot to add, that if you are interested in the ANZAC perspective you can download audio walking tours from the following site

http://www.anzacsite...walk_intro.html

I put them on my ipod and found the narrative gave an extra itensity whilst walking the route.

#18 genef

genef

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

A friend and myself are contemplating a trip to Gallipoli early in 2011 so this thread has really been interesting.
I have tried to find Eric in the members list but I have not had much luck. Does anyone have any ideas for contacting Eric?

Thanks in advance,

Gene

#19 Auimfo

Auimfo

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:46 AM

Gene,

You'll be able to contact Eric by The Gallipoli Houses website here: http://www.gallipoli...poli_hotels.htm

I can absolutely recommend a stay with them - great hosts, wonderful setting and so close to the battlefields.

Cheers,
Tim L.

P.S. He's 'The Plummed Goose' on the forum.

#20 bluedog

bluedog

Lieut-Colonel

• R.I.P.
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:24 AM

Gene

Fully agree with Tim's view of Gallipoli houses.

If you have trouble contacting Eric , PM me and I will pass on
his e-mail address

Peter

#21 Gary Traynor

Gary Traynor

Corporal

• Members2
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:WW1 &amp; WW2 history

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:51 AM

Hey there Martin G.

Are you still going to be in Gallipoli in late July? There is a group of us Aussies heading over there (we too will arrive in late July and will be there for a week to the August landing dates. Will you still be there then? Would love to meet up and discuss a bit of history from your side?? Cheers mate, Gary Traynor.

#22 Martin G

Martin G

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,428 posts

BEF in 1914
    Gallipoli
    Yeomanry 1902-1922

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

Hey there Martin G.

Are you still going to be in Gallipoli in late July? There is a group of us Aussies heading over there (we too will arrive in late July and will be there for a week to the August landing dates. Will you still be there then? Would love to meet up and discuss a bit of history from your side?? Cheers mate, Gary Traynor.

Gary - this post was from last year (2010). I have been and gone. No concrete plans fro this year.....yet.

If you have been before, you will know the score, but if it is your first trip there are many GWF members with a lot of Gallipoli experience who will gladly offer advice should you need it.. You might want to contact GWF member V Beach who has done many trips there.

I am conscious that "free advice is, by definition, worthless" but I did a lot of research before I went; if you need any pointers and have not yet sorted your accommodation I would very strongly recommend staying at Gallipoli Houses, run by GWF member Eric Goosens (the Plummed Goose on GWF) who is a fantastic host and also a mine of information on the campaign. If you are focused on ANZAC it is absolutely great as it is so close, and also convenient for Suvla Bay (my area of interest - the least visited, least understood and the least written about of all the battlefields at Gallipoli).

I would also strongly recommend getting a 4WD car as the tracks can be very difficult for normal cars even in mid summer. It was my only regret as it was important to me to add some variation to what could potentially have become a tour of beautifully maintained war graves, however moving and important that may be. There is much more to Gallipoli. I was fortunate enough to have Eric give me a lift to some areas which would otherwise have been impossible to get to. To see the terrain from some of these more 'outback' tracks on the ridges is something special.

The other thing is that most of the maps are very very poor, so I would again strongly recommend printing off maps from Google Earth before you get there and if you can, also get the Sevki Pasha maps which have considerable detail on trenches etc. One other thing - I did do one very interesting walk which I would do again - up from the very northern edge of ANZAC, up a track via Table Top to the very top. It was a spectacular walk and a wonder to see what the Kiwis assaulted. Also worth walking the Kiretch Tepe ridge line for some spectacular views.

Regards MG

#23 Gary Traynor

Gary Traynor

Corporal

• Members2
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:WW1 &amp; WW2 history

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:12 AM

Thanks for that Martin........but can you please tell me where I can obtain the Sevki Pasha maps??

#24 Martin G

Martin G

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,428 posts

BEF in 1914
    Gallipoli
    Yeomanry 1902-1922

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for that Martin........but can you please tell me where I can obtain the Sevki Pasha maps??

They may have been reproduced in modern times in Turkey - one of the military museums in Istanbul (??) but I believe that was some years ago. and they are really difficult to find. The person to ask is the Plummed Goose - GWF member Eric Goosens who has some on his walls at Gallipoli Houses. He will know if they are still in publication. If not, it means trying to track down an original set and that will cost money and time.

Failing that ask GWF member Peter Doyle - he is the guru on mapping and should know where copies are kept. He co-authored Grasping Gallipoli http://www.amazon.co...99405694&sr=8-1. The National Archives don't have any for sure.

Good luck. MG

#25 Gully Ravine

Gully Ravine

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:51 PM

Gary - do you have the Western Front Association DVD of Gallipoli maps? http://www.westernfr...-gallipoli.html
This contains digital copies of (amongst others) trench maps which I know are held at the Imperial War Museum at Duxford (UK) and in the libraries at Oxford and Cambridge Universities. Regards Keith [feel free to PM me if you need more info].

Reply to this topic