Photo

Fromelles Photographs

25 replies to this topic

#1 Pierre

Pierre

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 501 posts
  • Interests:The visit of Commonwealth War Cemeteries, Communal Cemeteries and Churchyards in Belgium and France on my website

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:54 AM

Hello All,

After visit this 21st July, I have put 138 photos at this link

http://macle.voila.f...254c4a109922449

You could select the file and download it after click on "TÚlÚcharger" in the brown line above.

Or open the file, select the photos you want and download them by the same way.

The file is important, about 280 MG.
The photos are large size.

- overviews
- each named grave
- the pages of the CWGC book.

Enjoy.
Pierre

#2 roel22

roel22

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,892 posts
  • Interests:Finding the lost grave of my great-grandfather.

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:41 AM

Thanks for sharing, Pierre. I did a story for a Dutch magazine on the final hours of Berrol Lazar Mendelsohn, good to see his final resting place now.

Roel

#3 Scotty

Scotty

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:9th Infantry Brigade A.I.F.

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:19 AM

Thank you for the photo's Pierre. Very kind of you. Hope you are well. Scotty.

#4 ianw

ianw

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

Merci Pierre.

Regards Ian

#5 Michelle Young

Michelle Young

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,670 posts
  • Interests:1914, 1915-the forgotten battlefields- scoring and watching cricket, walking, cooking,real ale, red wine, single malt, motorcycles, and my family

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:56 PM

Took this one last Friday.
Michelle

Attached Files

#6 Michelle79

Michelle79

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:36 AM

Hi Everyone,

Pierre very kindly gave me permission to put his photographs into a Facebook album so they could be posted up on the "I Honour The Dead of Fromelles" group and shared with others more easily.

HERE is a link to the Facebook album for anyone who would prefer to use that to access the photographs (I have kept all of the named grave photographs in alphabetical order and added a caption at the bottom with the man's full name, rank and battalion.)

HERE also is a link to my own more modest efforts - there are some photographs taken from up in the stands during the ceremony and some during my return to the cemetery a few days later as well as a few other interesting bits and pieces I've just added in.

You do not need to be a member of Facebook in order to access the albums.

Thanks once again Pierre for a wonderful set of photographs.

Regards

Michelle

#7 ianw

ianw

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for those Michelle.

My ,you toffs in the dress circle had a great view of the ceremony but it must have been hot!

Ian

#8 Michelle79

Michelle79

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for those Michelle.

My ,you toffs in the dress circle had a great view of the ceremony but it must have been hot!

Ian

Hi Ian,

It was a great view but hot doesn't even begin to describe it - I got burnt to a crisp (well mix together a Scottish pale-skinned redhead who doesn't tan with 35oC on the ground and probably a good bit higher up in that stand plus zero shade and you don't get the best result!) On a more serious note I saw a number of people up in the stands around about me fainting and going down with sunstroke so the heat did detract from the event slightly. It was worth it though as it was such a moving experience and I wouldn't have missed being there in person. I'm not sure we could aptly be described as toffs though - I'm a Glasgow girl and just about everybody sat near me was an Aussie! Posted Image

Regards

Michelle

#9 ianw

ianw

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:43 PM

I'm not sure we could aptly be described as toffs though - I'm a Glasgow girl and just about everybody sat near me was an Aussie!
Posted Image

Regards

Michelle

There must be at least one posh Glaswegian and perhaps as many as 2 posh Aussies!

In fact , I can personally vouch for the latter, because the Governor General and her gentleman secretary came to speak to us plebs on the edge of the field after the ceremony. They were definitely Canberra's finest.

#10 MelPack

MelPack

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,672 posts
  • Interests:Poujadism & the Daily Mail version of history

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:07 PM

I am not really in a position to provide an informed comment about the relative poshness of Aussies and Glaswegians :) but they are couple of cracking albums.

Many thanks to both Pierre and Michelle.

Mel

#11 Michelle79

Michelle79

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

There must be at least one posh Glaswegian and perhaps as many as 2 posh Aussies!

In fact , I can personally vouch for the latter, because the Governor General and her gentleman secretary came to speak to us plebs on the edge of the field after the cemetery. They were definitely Canberra's finest.

You've got me there as I can certainly attest to there being posh Glaswegians as well (and yes more than one!) I wouldn't deem myself one of them though - then again I'm no Rab C. Nesbitt either so.... Posted Image

I think trying to decide on the relative poshness of Glaswegians and Aussies is something best not attempted anyway Mel!

Regards

Michelle

#12 Mark Vent

Mark Vent

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:14 PM

Does anyone have a photo of the cemetery looking up through the entrace / gateway ?

I'd be very grateful if anyone would be kind enough to share one - I need it for a personal project, the finished article to be shared on the forum.

Regards

Mark.

#13 Michelle79

Michelle79

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:16 PM

Does anyone have a photo of the cemetery looking up through the entrace / gateway ?

I'd be very grateful if anyone would be kind enough to share one - I need it for a personal project, the finished article to be shared on the forum.

Regards

Mark.

Hi Mark,

I've had a look through my photos and Pierre's collection and I don't have one. The gates at the archway/official entrance were closed when I was there as I think there was still some work going on just outside them - perhaps the dismantling of the stands for the ceremony. Hopefully someone who has visited more recently will have taken one. The article sounds interesting Posted Image

Regards

Michelle

#14 ianw

ianw

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:36 PM

I was planning to go there this weekend to take some serious photos with tripod and all but the time just drifted away and I got no further than Plugstreet. No doubt someone has the required shot.

#15 Mark Vent

Mark Vent

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:17 PM

Thanks Michelle & IanW

@IanW I can understand - PloegSteert is an amazing amazing memorial :)

@Michelle79 - noooo not an article per se - it's all to go alongside my "auction purchase" in a lovely, horribly expensive, custom made display case:)

Mark.

#16 Michelle79

Michelle79

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:57 PM

Ah I see!! I meant to say earlier that I hope you've found a good spot for it - pride of place it sounds like Posted Image

#17 Peter Bennett

Peter Bennett

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:43 PM

Regards

Mark.

How's this ?

Attached Files

#18 Michelle79

Michelle79

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:48 PM

That's a wonderful photograph Peter - beautiful angle!

Hopefully it will work for Mark's project as well.

Regards

Michelle

#19 Mark Vent

Mark Vent

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:50 PM

Peter,

that is a FANTASTIC photo, imagine me shaking you by the hand, I would be delighted if I can use it on my "project".

many many thanks

Mark.

#20 Peter Bennett

Peter Bennett

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:53 PM

Mark & Michelle

Thank you for your kind words, my pleasure and my privilege to assist.

Please PM me for a hi-res copy by e-mail if required.

Lest We Forget

Peter

#21 ianw

ianw

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:21 AM

Mark,

Your flag must have been planted very close to where the cortege for the July burial started from. This being immediately above the former pits. The carriage rested there for the horses and men to gather their thoughts before the pomp and circumstance of the drive to the cemetery. Presumably they were given their "starters orders" when a certain point in the main ceremony was reached.

I was very impressed by this symbolic start of the final journey and I think I was the only person who witnessed this as the path down to Pheasant Wood was sealed off by French police and I was gently but firmly ejected!

Attached Files

#22 Mark Vent

Mark Vent

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:06 AM

Ian,

an amazing and very powerful and emotional photograph!

thanks for sharing it :)

Mark.

#23 Siege Gunner

Siege Gunner

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,897 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:30 AM

Very nicely mounted, Mark, but despite the size of the image it seems to be out of focus and unfortunately I can't read it.

Mick

#24 Auimfo

Auimfo

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

Ian,

You don't happen to have found the full size file of that image yet have you??

It's one of the best photo's I've seen of the carriage waiting at the site of the mass graves.

Cheers,
Tim L.

#25 ianw

ianw

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:04 PM

Tim,

I very much regret that while using Windows Pic Manager to reduce the pic to post on the Forum originally , I stupidly managed to zap the original and replace it with the little pic. Doh!

I have some others but typically they have issues such as the driver bending at the time of exposure. If you want the others to see what you can do with Photoshop or similar, you're welcome to have a try - but the full fat version of this image is lost forever.

Regards Ian