Photo

Mills Bomb Grenade Boxes

6 replies to this topic

#1 GWRCo

GWRCo

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:Royal Flying Corps (The Real Air Force), The North Irish Horse, Living History 1914 - 1918, Military architecture (Victorian/1stWW camps, barracks, aerodromes, etc.)

Posted 06 June 2004 - 10:14 AM

Hi all!
Can any member help please! I'm after info on the wooden internal fittings of the No: 5, No: 23 & No: 36 grenade boxes.

I'm in the middle of making up said boxes for a museum here in N.Ireland, and i'm after the layouts & sizes of the wood fitments within them. I know the 23 & 36 boxes were very similiar inside (the 36 had a small gap either side for the gas check plates to be slotted behind), but i have only seen a couple of photies showing the insides of the No:5 grenade box complete with grenades from contempory photos.

It also seems that the 23 & 36 boxes were also a bit longer and wider than the No:5 box.

Further, does anyone know where i can get detonator tins (or lookalikes) for the said boxes, plus det tin labels etc. I can get repro 'u' shape spanners for the base plugs no problem.

Any help as always is greatly appreciated!

tim

#2 Max Poilu

Max Poilu

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweat
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:59 PM

Tim,

I cannot help with the box internals etc but tommys pack fillers have listed a complete Mills crate label set in their past catalogue. Includes outer explosive labels, internal lid labels, det tin lid labels etc.

However, I cannot find it on the current website above. I am sure det tins could be reproduced from similar current commercial tins.

#3 terryb95

terryb95

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 09:19 AM

Don't know if this helps but this site shows a the box for the Gren Mills 36 m I tried to past the photo but just cannot do so.

http://www.diggers.be/

Terry Barrett

#4 Deleted_Conductor_*

Deleted_Conductor_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:47 PM

I think tins from current military demolition accessories would be fine for det tins.

The current tins hold rubber sleeves and metal clips for use with det cord. The wooden insert would have to be made by yourself though.

#5 GWRCo

GWRCo

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:Royal Flying Corps (The Real Air Force), The North Irish Horse, Living History 1914 - 1918, Military architecture (Victorian/1stWW camps, barracks, aerodromes, etc.)

Posted 22 June 2004 - 10:30 PM

biggrin.gif
Hi C!
I know what you mean about the det tins, i'm in a T.A unit and we are assault troopers, and we can't even get the det-tins! Even when i went on my demolitions course a few years back (near Blackbushe airport), even the regular instructors didn't have them!!

It seems to be a common piece of kit, but is also a bit of a rarity - just have to keep searching!!

tim

#6 Krithia

Krithia

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 834 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 05:50 PM

I have an example of a WW1 No.5 grenade box ... what info/size measurements do you require for the internals?

regards, Steve

#7 303man

303man

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 547 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 06:29 PM

I work in Said RE Camp near Blackbushe and recently thrown tins away as they rate as junk, will keep them in future.