Upcoming Talk: The Battlefields of Arras - the Past, the Present and t

5 replies to this topic

#1 J Banning

J Banning

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

Please note the lecture will be in FRENCH but there will be time available at the end for questions (in English).

An illustrated lecture commencing with the Battle of Arras 1917 as seen through newly-discovered panoramic images of the Artois battlefields. The talk will also include the importance of past and present battlefield archaeological work in Artois, Flanders (Fromelles), and near Mametz (Somme), and the need to continue and expand such essential works in the future.

Peter Barton is an historian, writer and film maker. His other book titles include
Beneath Flanders Fields, The Battlefields of the First World War, Somme and Passchendaele. Since 2002 he has been secretary of the All Party Parliamentary War Heritage Group in the British Parliament, a group who seek to preserve the heritage of British battlefields around the globe. He works alongside his colleague, the researcher and historian Jeremy Banning.

Conference November 12, at 1800 hrs at the Wellington Quarry, Arras.
Enquiries 03 21 51 26 95 or email/PM me.

When I get the link from the Wellington Quarry website I will post it. Hope to see some of you there.

Les champs de bataille de la Grande Guerre d'Arras

Par le passé, le présent et l'avenir par Peter Barton, auteur du livre ARRAS

Une conférence illustrée en commençant par la bataille d'Arras en 1917 – le sujet du nouveau livre – et révélant nouvellement découvert des images panoramiques de champs de bataille d'Artois. La conférence se terminera par l'importance de passées et récentes oeuvres archéologiques dans l'Artois, la Flandre (Fromelles), et près de Mametz (Somme), et la nécessité de poursuivre et d'étendre ces travaux essentiels a l’avenir.

Peter Barton est historien, écrivain et cinéaste. Parmis les autres titres de livres Beneath Flanders Fields, The Battlefields of the First World War, Somme, et Passchendaele. Depuis 2002 il a été secrétaire du All Party Parliamentary War Heritage Group dans le parlement brittanique qui vise à protéger et préserver le patrimoine champ de bataille britanniques à travers le monde. Il travaille toujours aux côtés de son collègue, le chercheur et historien Jeremy Banning.

#2 J Banning

J Banning

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:35 PM

I hope that any visitors around the Arras area on Friday will pop into the Wellington Quarry at 1800hrs. It would be good to have some English speakers in the audience too.
Please see a new newspaper article regarding our showing a relative of one of the men whose memoir we used extensively in the Arras panorama book around the Arras battlefields. We will be with her in the day of the 12th: http://www.buckshera..._hero_1_1602586

#3 Jim Smithson

Jim Smithson

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:Arras + Somme

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:25 PM

Jeremy

Thank you for the link. I hope you have a super day on the 12th with Rachel.

Sorry I could not get to the talk - you know I would have loved to have been there. If you see this before then wish Peter all the best for the evening - otherwise, hope it went well!

Be good to see you around the area someday.

Jim

#4 J Banning

J Banning

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:26 PM

Thanks Jim - many thanks for your kind words. Just sitting in Grande Arcades with a beer after blustery journey here. Big day tomorrow!

#5 SPOF

SPOF

Brigadier-General

• Admin
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:52 PM

Jeremy

Not sure if I've managed to persuade my hosts to come along but I'll be attending.

My French is rubbish but the visuals from the book and Peter's talk in Dorset will still be educational and well worth it.

Glen

#6 59165

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,994 posts
  • Interests:Everything WW1 & before for depts 59 62 & 80 in France + Verdun & surrounding areas.Also a great cheese fan,same era.

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:38 AM

Hiya.
Please say hello to Fabrice(he of the shop now placed in the Grande Place),Major Maury,Christophe & Joel.
These are the frogs that are trying so hard to get Arras as well known as the Somme to the visitors & they have done more than most.
Say hi from David.
Hope the chat goes well and drip free!
Dave.