Fromelles New Museum

24 replies to this topic

#1 HEC

HEC

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:15 PM

I understand that Fromelles hope to open the new Museum on or before 19th July 2013. It is believed that the Australian Government is providing substantial financial support for this project.

#2 LizM

LizM

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:WW1 and WW2. Eating Out, Reading, cooking, walking my dog around the woods, Palingbeek, Polygon and Dirty Bucket. Collecting Film Memorbilia and going to Cinema/Theatre and Swimming.

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:56 PM

I understand that Fromelles hope to open the new Museum on or before 19th July 2013. It is believed that the Australian Government is providing substantial financial support for this project.

That is correct - Musuem will be next to pheasant wood cemetery.

LizM

#3 LizM

LizM

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:WW1 and WW2. Eating Out, Reading, cooking, walking my dog around the woods, Palingbeek, Polygon and Dirty Bucket. Collecting Film Memorbilia and going to Cinema/Theatre and Swimming.

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:43 AM

Hi all

Check this website out it will tell you all the information on the new musuem and costs etc...It has kindly been translated from a newspaper article from French to English for us all to see..

http://www.fromelles.fr

This site will keep you informed of all that is going on in Fromelles

LizM

#4 ianw

ianw

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,117 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:17 PM

Wow, 2 million for the Fromelles Museum.

The only problem I can envisage is the difficulty of getting to Fromelles. I will certainly visit but will other Brits?

A "must visit" for Australian battlefield tourists but how many of them are there each year?

#5 HEC

HEC

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:26 PM

A recent French press report that I read said that they are already receiving some 50 visitors per day (say 18,000 pa) - and that is with European Winter (but Australian Summer) coming on. They are planning for a capacity of over 30,000 per annum, which I would guess is "on the cards", particularly during the centennial years (2014-2018)

Wow, 2 million for the Fromelles Museum.

The only problem I can envisage is the difficulty of getting to Fromelles. I will certainly visit but will other Brits?

A "must visit" for Australian battlefield tourists but how many of them are there each year?

#6 bluedog

bluedog

Lieut-Colonel

• R.I.P.
  • 555 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:22 AM

My only hope is that it contains all the great exhibits that were in
The Museum above the Town Hall and that Martial Delebarre is given due credit.

Peter

#7 ianw

ianw

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,117 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:52 AM

I would imagine that the public money going it to it may lead to it being monitored by an institution like The Historial. A shame if this impacts the local flavour of the place.

#8 HEC

HEC

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:03 AM

What surprises me is that the Australian Government has very generously offered to support the new Museum to the extent of a grant of (I believe) 800,000, but there is not a mention of any UK Government money. Was it offered - were they even asked?

I would imagine that the public money going it to it may lead to it being monitored by an institution like The Historial. A shame if this impacts the local flavour of the place.

#9 b3rn

b3rn

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Australian Army Nursing Service / hospitals on the Western Front / Lemnos

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:26 AM

Posted Image
Museum of the Fromelles Fight / SERERO Architectes
architects' sketches and layout

#10 Hedley Malloch

Hedley Malloch

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:10 PM

I will certainly visit but will other Brits?

I was there this am - with an Australian friend. There was a touring bus in the car park - all Australians. A car pulled up with two Australian tourists inside. And this was on a wet weather day. It's a busy cemetery. A glance at the register shows that a good 90% of the visitors were from Oz.

#11 SPOF

SPOF

Major-General

• Admin
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

The architect's statement seems to be concentrating on the Pheasant Wood burial site and implying that is the only aspect of Fromelles worth remembering. If so, that is a real shame as it not only ignores the 1916 efforts of the British 61st Division but also Australian 15th Brigade as virtually none of their casualties are in PW. That is even before considering the battles of 1914 to stop the German advance, the battle in May 1915 in exactly the same trenches as 1916 or even retreat and advance in 1918.

Of course a simple solution is to just call it the Pheasant Wood Museum.

#12 roel22

roel22

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,892 posts
  • Interests:Finding the lost grave of my great-grandfather.

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:47 PM

Surely Fromelles has seen more battles apart from the 19-20 july-offensive.
Still we shouldn't forget these two days still are the bloodiest in Australian history.
So I can imagine the museums main focus will be on 19-20 july.
Many other battles have been fought in 14-18 which still don't have their own museum...

Roel

#13 AussiesinArras

AussiesinArras

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Battlefields
    Steam Locomotives
    Underwater Wrecks

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

What surprises me is that the Australian Government has very generously offered to support the new Museum to the extent of a grant of (I believe) €800,000, but there is not a mention of any UK Government money. Was it offered - were they even asked?

I have made enquiries following comments (verbal) made to me about the dissappointment re the absence of any mention of the Battle of Aubers Ridge and, I suppose, meaningful comment about the South Midland Division, in the new museum.

I was told by the person, whose responsibility it was to enquire with the MoD about participating in the new museum at Fromelles. The emailed query was ignored not only once, but twice. Despite other routine communcations being responded to. Further, this has been confirmed by another person who was a cc on the emails.

As a guide, when at Fromelles, I always mention to my guests about the Battle of Aubers Ridge, that the British 61st South Midland Division suffered badly on 19 July and that, one should expect that many of the men wearing the Australian uniform where British born. You do not provide balance if you do not acknowledge their participation and, sacrifice.

Peter

#14 angelab

angelab

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 858 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:19 PM

Will the new museum at Fromelles include the contents of the museum that was upstairs in the village Mairie? Or will there now be two museums?

Any idea of when the new one will be opening?

Angela

#15 59165

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,998 posts
  • Interests:Everything WW1 & before for depts 59 62 & 80 in France + Verdun & surrounding areas.Also a great cheese fan,same era.

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:30 PM

Have a word With Victoria B. about the Brit stuff donated to the old museum/collection.

#16 Let Erin Remember

Let Erin Remember

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Irish Military History, The Royal Dublin Fusiliers and all Irish Regiments of the British Army, and to perpetuate the memory of all Irish men and women who served in the Great War, in British, Australian, Canadian, South African, Newfoundland & US regiments.

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:34 AM

I have made enquiries following comments (verbal) made to me about the dissappointment re the absence of any mention of the Battle of Aubers Ridge and, I suppose, meaningful comment about the South Midland Division, in the new museum.

I was told by the person, whose responsibility it was to enquire with the MoD about participating in the new museum at Fromelles. The emailed query was ignored not only once, but twice. Despite other routine communcations being responded to. Further, this has been confirmed by another person who was a cc on the emails.

As a guide, when at Fromelles, I always mention to my guests about the Battle of Aubers Ridge, that the British 61st South Midland Division suffered badly on 19 July and that, one should expect that many of the men wearing the Australian uniform where British born. You do not provide balance if you do not acknowledge their participation and, sacrifice.

Peter

Indeed I'm quite sure that many of the AIF were British born and no doubt there was a fair smattering of Irish among them. In fact including only Irish born, over 6,600 served in the AIF, one of whom won a VC. If one were to include 1st generation Irish Australians, that figure would be many thousands more. In any event the 61st Midland Division also had a fair number of Irish in its ranks, including some soldiers from Irish regiments of the 16th(Irish) Division. I have often wondered if some dyslexic orderly room NCO posted returning soldiers to the 61st instead of the 16th!

In any event, The CWGC put out a request for relatives of named soldiers from those Irish regiments to come forward with a view to assisting in the identification of the soldiers found at Pheasant Wood.

Séamus

Membership Secretary
The Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association

#17 AussiesinArras

AussiesinArras

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 372 posts
    Steam Locomotives
    Underwater Wrecks

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

Tks Seamus,

Always glad to get some more info.

Regards, Peter

#18 AussiesinArras

AussiesinArras

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 372 posts
    Steam Locomotives
    Underwater Wrecks

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:50 PM

Will the new museum at Fromelles include the contents of the museum that was upstairs in the village Mairie? Or will there now be two museums?

Any idea of when the new one will be opening?

Angela

Hi Angela,

I have been told that most of the collection cannot be incorporated into the new museum and, that none of the WW2 section of the original museum in the Mairie will be shown in the new one. There is now a problem as to where the items not on display will go. As I understand it, the WW1 and the WW2 collections are privately owned.

Further, I have been told that the original museum in the Mairie is not, and will not be, open to the public, as the stairs have been categorised as unsafe for public access, by the "safety authorities".

The latest rumour on opening date is 19 July 2014.

Regards, Peter

#19 angelab

angelab

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 858 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:46 PM

Thanks Peter for the info, however tenuous.
What a pity about the old museum being closed. I remember when I visited it, about seven years ago now, being told that they hoped to have new premises for it in the nearish future. But that was before the discovery of the mass grave and everything that followed, including this new museum which has naturally taken precedence.

Angela

#20 Let Erin Remember

Let Erin Remember

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Irish Military History, The Royal Dublin Fusiliers and all Irish Regiments of the British Army, and to perpetuate the memory of all Irish men and women who served in the Great War, in British, Australian, Canadian, South African, Newfoundland & US regiments.

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

Peter, I sincerely hope that there will be due recognition of the 61st South Midland Division in the new museum. The soldiers of the BEF & those of the AIF fought together at Fromelles and so must be jointly commemorated.

So, as they fought together, and lie together in Pheasant Wood, they should at least be remembered together. Quis Separabit!

#21 AussiesinArras

AussiesinArras

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 372 posts
    Steam Locomotives
    Underwater Wrecks

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

Peter, I sincerely hope that there will be due recognition of the 61st South Midland Division in the new museum. The soldiers of the BEF & those of the AIF fought together at Fromelles and so must be jointly commemorated.

So, as they fought together, and lie together in Pheasant Wood, they should at least be remembered together. Quis Separabit!

I agree, they should be and, in my opinion, have to be acknowledged.

Regards, Peter

#22 centurion

centurion

General

• Old Sweats
  • 24,764 posts
  • Interests:Military history, science fiction

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

Although there was nothing on the CWGC web site about it all access to the cemetery was closed on Wednesday. Led to believe that there was some connection to work on services for the new museum

#23 Let Erin Remember

Let Erin Remember

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:48 PM

It's sad to think that the commemoration of the men who fought in the Great War appears to be breaking down into a case of "ours and theirs." In some places there seems to be a turf war in operation. Like " hands off, this is where our lads fought and won". The war was fought under a united command structure and one would hope that there would be unity among those seeking to commemorate those who fought. " Spectamur Agendo, regimental motto of the a Royal Dublin Fusilies. - let us be judged by our deeds."

#24 AussiesinArras

AussiesinArras

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 372 posts
    Steam Locomotives
    Underwater Wrecks

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

Well, I discussed the silence from the MoD with someone from the mid-senior of the RBL and was told that the MoD's policy prevents them from participating in museums.

Must admit this person is not always right but thought I would mention it.

And Yes I agree, in our lives, "let us all be judged by our deeds".

Regards, Peter

#25 angelab

angelab

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 858 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

Just seen this announcement on the Nord Pas de Calais tourst board Facebook page:

" 23rd April 2014
Opening of the Museum of the Battle of Fromelles"

Angela