BWM - but no Victory Medal

7 replies to this topic

#1 Esskay

Esskay

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:02 AM

I've tried a quick search but can't find a definitive list of whereabouts someone who only received a BWM but no Victory Medal is likely to have served.

I understand the NA explanation is that he would have "rendered approved service overseas" but did not "serve on the establishment of a unit in an operational theatre" - from what I think I've read on here this would presumably include India, Gibraltar? - I wondered about Malta but presume Ireland wasn't considered overseas

Can anyone provide a list or some thoughts

Man in question is - http://www.cwgc.org/...casualty=360119

John Toop Moss - born 1878 - died in St Marks Hospital Chelsea

Thanks in advance

Sue

#2 rflory

rflory

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,785 posts
  • Interests:Twentieth Century Royal Artillery officers, especially for the Great War

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:11 AM

India, Gibraltar, Malta, Hong Kong and some other parts of Asia, Bermuda, France and Belgium (but not on establishment of a unit) and probably other areas that do not immediately come to mind.

#3 Patrick ODwyer

Patrick ODwyer

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 895 posts
  • Interests:All matters related to the history of the 14th (King's) Hussars and 20th Hussars 1861-1922

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:12 AM

India would be very (most?) common in this respect but any country not in a theatre of war (or some journeys by ship) could be possible.

As Ireland was part of the United Kingdom it was a home station.

#4 Esskay

Esskay

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:30 AM

Thanks very much for the suggestions - appreciated

Sue

#5 taylov

taylov

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 280 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:40 PM

His Medal Index Card does not mention any service except in the Hampshire Regiment. That being the case his BWM is almost certainly for India. For example, as far as I can see, the 1/5th, 1/7th and 1/9th Hampshires served in India during WW1 without going to any other theatre of war that would have qualified him for a Victory Medal.

Tony

#6 Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,459 posts
  • Interests:The Great War, obviously. Choral music. Aviation history. Genealogy.

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:45 PM

Most likely 1/9th, as there are three of them casualties in the block 39800-39899.

#7 Esskay

Esskay

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:43 AM

Thanks for this additional info - a question if anyone can help - LLT says the 1/9 went to India - and then moved on to Russia in Oct/Nov 1918

A google search brought up this fascinating article about an album of photos featuring the 1/9 that was up for auction earlier in the year

http://www.dailymail...-India-WWI.html

I'm inclined to believe the LLT info over a press report - but this suggests they were also in Mesopotamia - but no ref in LLT - service here as well as Russia would presumably have added the Victory Medal to entitlements - and a quick flick through similarly numbered MIC's on Ancestry seems to show most of them having both.

My presumption then is that the man in question was invalided home at some time from India - certainly he died before they went to Russia - but can anyone throw any more light on Mespot??

Actually should probably do a search of the forum I guess

Cheers
Sue

#8 tom andrews

tom andrews

Private

• Members2
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:06 AM

9th Hampshires went to Russia (as did 2nd Hampshires, though they went from Europe and 9th went straight from India). Those who went to Russia were awarded a victory Medal

A number of men from the 9th will have been sent to drafts of 4th, 6th, and 7th Hampshires, all of whom served in the middle east, thus gaining a Victory Medal, although 5th remained in INdia, but then served on the North West Frontier (India Medal, but no Victory medal)

Soldiers Died in the Great War has John Toop Moss as dying posted to Depot