9th Battalion Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment 1916 and 1

11 replies to this topic

#1 Samuel Moore

Samuel Moore

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:08 PM

I was wandering if any one had any information as to what the 9th Battalion, Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment was doing
between on the dates;

30-08-1918

07-07-1916

and

22-03-1918.

Any information shedding light on these dates would be extremely helpful in finding out what happened to my great grandfather and
his two brothers.

Best wishes, Samuel

#2 sotonmate

sotonmate

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 10,932 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:52 PM

Samuel

This Battalion was part of 52 Brigade of 17 Division which first landed at Boulogne in France in July 1915.See this page from the Long Long Trail at top left of this page for the movements/actions of 17 Division:

http://www.1914-1918.net/17div.htm

and there is a War Diary which will give daily reports for all of the 9th Bn's war,under WO95/2014,which is at the National Archives at Kew.It is not digital as yet so if you want to read it you should visit,or arrange a copy (somehow) but it will be expensive as there are many pages.
You should post the names of your relatives and see what can be done here !

Sotonmate

Edit: do you mean that you want to know about the three dates you list ? Were they the dates of casualties ?

#3 Samuel Moore

Samuel Moore

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

Hi, thank you for your advice and for the useful information.

The three dates given are the dates each person in question was killed. I recently went to the National Archives to search for relevant service records but unfortunately discovered they had been destroyed during the blitz and were unavailable.

Since then iv been trying to piece together what happened to them through other sources. The WW1 forum seemed to be a good place to start. If you have any other advice on how to go about researching I would be immensely grateful.

Best wishes and thanks again, Samuel

#4 kenf48

kenf48

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:57 PM

22-03-1918 First day of German Spring offensive they called 'Operation Michael' 10 men from the Bn killed - generally speaking it seems the Brigade, which was part of Third Army was caught up in the fighting south of Arras but not to the same extent as some other units. With one exception those who died have no known grave and are on the Arras Memorial. Just researched a 12th Bn Manchester man (same brigade) and that Battalion seems to have had a similar experience.

07-07-1916 Again with the 12th Manchesters on the Somme the daylight attack on the strongly defended Quadrangle Support Trench at Fricourt between Contalmaison and Mametz Wood. 73 killed, m
ost are recorded on the Thiepval Memorial.
[One of the Manchester's officer who survived left an account, for them it was a disaster as they advanced 400 yards in daylight, while the Germans simply stood on the parapet and picked them off. 840 men and 22 officers went into the trenches before the attack, they came out with 250 men and six officers.]

30-08-1918 Second Battle of the Somme around Albert - no casualties. On the other hand the 2nd Bn who were part of 5th Army suffered heavy losses that day.

We're happy to help but not psychic and posting what you know already might help your researchPosted Image

Ken

#5 Samuel Moore

Samuel Moore

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:21 PM

22-03-1918 First day of German Spring offensive they called 'Operation Michael' 10 men from the Bn killed - generally speaking it seems the Brigade, which was part of Third Army was caught up in the fighting south of Arras but not to the same extent as some other units. With one exception those who died have no known grave and are on the Arras Memorial. Just researched a 12th Bn Manchester man (same brigade) and that Battalion seems to have had a similar experience.

07-07-1916 Again with the 12th Manchesters on the Somme the daylight attack on the strongly defended Quadrangle Support Trench at Fricourt between Contalmaison and Mametz Wood. 73 killed, m
ost are recorded on the Thiepval Memorial.
[One of the Manchester's officer who survived left an account, for them it was a disaster as they advanced 400 yards in daylight, while the Germans simply stood on the parapet and picked them off. 840 men and 22 officers went into the trenches before the attack, they came out with 250 men and six officers.]

30-08-1918 Second Battle of the Somme around Albert - no casualties. On the other hand the 2nd Bn who were part of 5th Army suffered heavy losses that day.

We're happy to help but not psychic and posting what you know already might help your researchPosted Image

Ken

Hi Ken, thank you so much for your help. As far as information goes I have been able to find very little. i'm researching four family members;
my great grandfather and his brothers . All originally enlisted in the Duke of Wellingtons West Riding regiment altho one of them was later transferred to the 2nd Battalion, Prince of Wails Own.

There names, numbers and ranks are as follows;

12658, Company Sargent Major Ben Clegg, 9th Battalion Duke of wellingtons West Riding Regiment. killed on the 22-3-1918

267321, Privat Walter Clegg, 2/4Battalion Duke of wellingtons West Riding Regiment. killed on the 30-8-1918

267788, Lance Corporal Thomas H Clegg, 2nd Battalion Prince of Wails Own Light Infantry (formally 2032, Duke of wellingtons West Riding Regiment.) Killed on the 26-3-1918

15057 Privat Walter Clegg, 9th Battalion Duke of wellingtons West Riding Regiment. killed on the 07-7-1916

Other than this i know very little about what happened to them and as there service records were destroyed in the blitz, i'm trying to piece together an accurate picture as to what happened to them.

If you have any other information I would be immensely grateful.

Best wishes and thank you again,Samuel

#6 imd6662

imd6662

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:9 & 10 DowS, 15 KOYLI

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:05 AM

If you send me your email I can send you an article which contains a section about the attack on Quandrangle Trench on 7/7/16. My great-uncle serving with 9 Dukes was wounded that day.

Ian

#7 kenf48

kenf48

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:25 AM

Have you looked at researching a soldier on the parent site the Long Long Trail?
http://www.1914-1918...dad/grandad.htm

Makes a bit more sense now, thanks.

I had look at Ben Clegg and his mic shows he went to France as a Private on 15 July 1915 and was a WO II when killed. The 'Dukes' pages on the LLT http://www.1914-1918.net/dukes.htm confirm he went to France with the 9th Bn, also shown as landing on the 15 July 1915. He enlisted in Huddersfield and was promoted through the ranks. On 22 March he was killed in action. The tactics for the Germans in their offensive was to target strong points and 'communications centres' , rather than the usual barrage. As a WOII he may have been at a Company HQ. I think the Bn was in an area called the 'Flesquieres Salient ' which had been created by the advance at Cambrai the previous year.

Bid you good night for now, but it's a start but bear in mind you're unlikely to ever know for certain. After the war grieving relatives would place pleas in newspapers asking for news of lost loved one who had no known grave trying to discover how they died. Local newspapers can be a rich source, often publishing a photograph.

Ken

#8 kenf48

kenf48

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:53 AM

If you send me your email I can send you an article which contains a section about the attack on Quandrangle Trench on 7/7/16. My great-uncle serving with 9 Dukes was wounded that day.

Ian

Need 10 posts before you can use the pm facility - scan it here so we can all read itPosted Image

Ken

#9 Samuel Moore

Samuel Moore

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:51 PM

Have you looked at researching a soldier on the parent site the Long Long Trail?
http://www.1914-1918...dad/grandad.htm

Makes a bit more sense now, thanks.

I had look at Ben Clegg and his mic shows he went to France as a Private on 15 July 1915 and was a WO II when killed. The 'Dukes' pages on the LLT http://www.1914-1918.net/dukes.htm confirm he went to France with the 9th Bn, also shown as landing on the 15 July 1915. He enlisted in Huddersfield and was promoted through the ranks. On 22 March he was killed in action. The tactics for the Germans in their offensive was to target strong points and 'communications centres' , rather than the usual barrage. As a WOII he may have been at a Company HQ. I think the Bn was in an area called the 'Flesquieres Salient ' which had been created by the advance at Cambrai the previous year.

Bid you good night for now, but it's a start but bear in mind you're unlikely to ever know for certain. After the war grieving relatives would place pleas in newspapers asking for news of lost loved one who had no known grave trying to discover how they died. Local newspapers can be a rich source, often publishing a photograph.

Ken

This is all great stuff Ken, thank you for taking the time to find it for me. If you unearth anything else please do let me know. best wishes and thanks again, Samuel

#10 kenf48

kenf48

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:18 PM

'sok see you now have 12 posts so you can pm as above

I see you have a separate post on the brothers and have Dave C looking for you (Hi Dave, waves from trenchesPosted Image) so you wont' go far wrong with the Dukes. Suggest you ask for the threads to be linked
Ken

#11 kenf48

kenf48

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:22 PM

Ian

Hi tried to send email through GWF to request above but was blocked, is your inbox full/ or settings blocking messages?

thanks

Ken

#12 imd6662

imd6662

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:9 & 10 DowS, 15 KOYLI

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:19 AM

Hi tried to send email through GWF to request above but was blocked, is your inbox full/ or settings blocking messages?

thanks

Ken

Yeah sorry .. box was full. Try again now.