16 replies to this topic

#1 geraint

geraint

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,637 posts
  • Interests:4th RWF TF; Mametz Wood.

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:02 PM

I didn't want to interrupt your fascinating Festive thread!
Can anyone help me regarding the battalion colours of the 15th and 18th Royal Welsh Fusilier (London Welsh) Service battalions please? I am told by LST_64 that the colours MAY be in the London Welsh Club - wherever that is. Does anyone know? Are there any London Pals also members of that club? Would there be a roll of honour there?
So many questions!!
Thanks in advance for any info.
Geraint

#2 Steven Broomfield

Steven Broomfield

General

• Old Sweats
  • 13,813 posts
  • Interests:10th Royal Hussars (PWO), 11th Hussars (PAO), The Royal Hussars (PWO), The King's Royal Hussars

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:18 PM

This place possibly?

If you contact them and they have what you want, I'm sure we could arrange for Mr Gunner and myself to meet up one lunchtime for a trip.

#3 Siege Gunner

Siege Gunner

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:52 PM

That looks suspiciously like a former Drill Hall.

#4 Jim Clay

Jim Clay

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:22 PM

It does, Mick - but it seems not:

The origins of the London Welsh Association date back to 1920 when an organisation ‘Young Wales’ was formed to give a focus for young Welsh people in London. There was, however, no formal meeting place outside the various Welsh chapels. Social gatherings on Saturday evenings at a couple of hotels owned by a successful Welsh businessman demonstrated the real need for a meeting place of non-sectarian character for the younger members of the Community. The first President of ‘Young Wales’ was Dame Margaret Lloyd George. In 1931 a philanthropist, Sir Howell J. Williams, purchased premises in Mecklenburgh Square having frontage onto Grays Inn Road. The building rapidly became the meeting place of the functions and committees of the various London Welsh societies and organisations, while at the same time serving as a club for the members of the Association taking advantage of the amenities provided.

The premises fronting on Grays Inn Road were completed later, and opened in 1937, donated by Sir Howell J. Williams under a charitable Trust to provide a non-political and non-sectarian educational and cultural centre in London.

Source: http://www.londonwelsh.org/about-us/history-of-the-centre

#5 Steven Broomfield

Steven Broomfield

General

• Old Sweats
  • 13,813 posts
  • Interests:10th Royal Hussars (PWO), 11th Hussars (PAO), The Royal Hussars (PWO), The King's Royal Hussars

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:43 PM

Non-sectarian ... so long as you're Welsh. :whistle:

#6 geraint

geraint

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:33 AM

Thanks very much folks. Most gracious! I'll follow up on the link Steven.
Just as a follow up - seems odd that battalion colours end up in a club or a centre. Doesn't seem right somehow!
Thanks again
Geraint

#7 Steven Broomfield

Steven Broomfield

General

• Old Sweats
  • 13,813 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:10 PM

But if it's a Welsh cultural centre it seems OK.

And imagine the problems trying to decide which chapel to put them in:

Welshman is stranded on a desert island for 20 years. When he's rescued, his saviours see he's built two Chapels, and ask him why he's done so. "Well," he replies, "that's the Chapel I go to and that's the Chapel I don't go to"

I think a cultural centre seems good to me.

:whistle:

#8 stu

stu

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:41 PM

There is also a Welsh church in Eastcastle St just north of Oxford St, maybe they have the colours or possibly a memorial.
See link http://www.urban75.o...-bedyddwyr.html

#9 geraint

geraint

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

Thanks Stu. Interesting little site!
We'd take non-conformity so serious Steve! Sometimes its easier to fight an enemy whose on your side than an enemy you don't know.
Thanks all.

#10 Pete1052

Pete1052

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:23 PM

I thought clubs in London were rather particular about who they allow to enter. Are you sure they allow Welsh people into the London Welsh Club?

#11 Anthony Gorst

Anthony Gorst

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 410 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

There is also a Welsh church in Eastcastle St just north of Oxford St, maybe they have the colours or possibly a memorial.
See link http://www.urban75.o...-bedyddwyr.html

I work round the corner from the Welsh church/chapel (trying to avoid treading on toes here!) and weill pop round next week and report back....

#12 geraint

geraint

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:11 PM

That's very good of you Anthony.
Thanks

#13 geraint

geraint

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:36 AM

Have contacted the Centre. They have nothing visible - neither plaque nor colours. St Bennetts Anglican Church was suggested as the church most closely associated with the LW.
Have entered you for the welsh conversational classes Mick, and you will need to lug the Geiriadur Mawr there with you. Mr Broomfield (penchance for chocolate fountains) is warmly invited to lounge in the Taffy fountain.:lol:

#14 Steven Broomfield

Steven Broomfield

General

• Old Sweats
  • 13,813 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:05 PM

I say - how splendid. Can I take my teeth?

#15 Anthony Gorst

Anthony Gorst

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 410 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:51 PM

Geraint

No success thus far on EAstcastle Street - it looks like it is only open on Sunday and they don't seem to answer the phone. I'll keep popping by on the off chance

That's very good of you Anthony.
Thanks

#16 hywyn

hywyn

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweat
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

I came across this thread whilst looking up RWF colours having read in 1919 newspapers about the 14th Bn one being laid up at Bangor Cathedral, 13th & 17th at Trinity Church, Llandudno and 16th at St Asaph.

The 15th Bn one was laid up at The County Hall, Westminster Bridge, SE1 on 9th August 1921. On the demise of the GLC it was removed to The Regimental Museum and it's now on display in the stairwell of the RWF Archives at Wrexham. I believe that the 18th Bn was not presented with one

Hywyn

#17 Scalyback

Scalyback

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

A small theroy if I may :innocent:

The 18th formed at greys inn 1915(on the long long trail), the centre in it's own history says opened in 1920. So at a guess, that area has strong Welsh links?????

However my theory is, London Welsh Rugby club was formed 1885. Another focal point for us in London. If the 18th was not presented with a colour but one was produced, maybe it made it's way to the rugby club?????? Hence it "MAY be at a London Welsh club".......

I have asked, got a reply that noting in the bar however my contact will ask about for me with those that know the club history and if anything is said.