Photo

YMCA Dugout Bristol

5 replies to this topic

#1 HERITAGE PLUS

HERITAGE PLUS

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,430 posts
  • Interests:British Military History in general but mainly the period 1837-1919.
    Irish Military History mainly 1798, 1916 and 1919-23.
    Military & Brass Bands - Music and Instruments

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:34 PM

I have seen a postcard on e-bay of the YMCA 'Dugout' in Bristol during the Great War.

Can anyone tell me where it was loacted, please?

Dave

#2 Kath

Kath

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,109 posts
  • Interests:Researching loss of HMT Royal Edward 13th August 1915.
    Preparing website on Royal Edward.

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:50 PM

http://www.flickr.co...red/3731761693/

Kath.

#3 HERITAGE PLUS

HERITAGE PLUS

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,430 posts
  • Interests:British Military History in general but mainly the period 1837-1919.
    Irish Military History mainly 1798, 1916 and 1919-23.
    Military & Brass Bands - Music and Instruments

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:02 PM

Kath

Many thanks - just what I needed.

Dave

#4 jay dubaya

jay dubaya

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,883 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:02 PM

Dave,

I'm sure that I've been told that the Dugout was on Colston Street

Jon

#5 NigelS

NigelS

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:58 PM

It looks as if it may have been in the same location (although not necessarily the same building) as late as a map dated 1955-1971.

Go to the 'Old-Maps'site Here search for 'Colston Street' then scroll down to the result with the BS1 5AP postcode; once loaded view the '1955-1971 Post WWII GLOUCESTERSHIRE 1:2,500' Map, then use 'Enhanced Zoom'

Unfortunately none of the WW1 era maps have the YMCA labelled. Can anyone confirm that this is the same location as shown in the photo?

NigelS

#6 billmills1968

billmills1968

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:15 AM

I'm fairly sure the men in the photograph are standing on the left hand side of Colston Street, as you go up the hill. This would be in conformity with the map '1955-1971 Post WWII GLOUCESTERSHIRE 1:2,500'.

The site is now occupied by an office block, built in the 1950s I would think. There was a Japanese restaurant called "Budokan" on the ground floor a few years ago, roughly where the entrance to "The Dugout" is.

Confusingly, there was a nightclub called "The Dugout" in the basement of a shop on Park Row, only a few hundred yards away, during the 1970s and 80s.

I think the large billboard sign in the photograph is fixed to the wall of "The Griffon" pub, which is still there although its name may have changed.

As a schoolboy in 1975 I spent the summer holiday working in a shop called "Bryant's" in Trenchard Street ( just around the corner from "The Dugout") which sold and hired out camping equipment.

I don't remember whether the YMCA was there in 1975 I'm afraid, although I know my father stayed there in the late 1940s and early 1950s from time to time, and it was certainly in Colston Street then.

In 1975 parts of this area were very run down indeed, with many of the houses in Lodge Street and Trenchard Street derelict and occupied by squatters.

In adult life, for many years I puffed up Colston Street every weekday morning cycling to work, so thanks for this addition to my knowledge of the history of the area.

Bill