Long desert march ...

Attached File  Egypt - 5LF in Desert.jpg   50.19KB   0 downloads

#27 Krithia

Krithia

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 834 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

The battalion leaving Egypt for Gallipoli ...

Attached File  Arriving at Gallipoli Peninsula May 5th 1915.jpg   17.65KB   1 downloads

Cape Helles - Transports and Bivouacs

Attached File  Cape Helles - Transports and Bivouack.jpg   12.99KB   1 downloads

#28 Krithia

Krithia

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 834 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:31 PM

1/5 Battalion Headquarters

Attached File  15.jpg   21.81KB   0 downloads

Attached File  10.jpg   20.59KB   0 downloads

#29 Krithia

Krithia

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:42 PM

the colonel and Wood going around the trenches

Attached File  Colonel and Wood going round Trenches.jpg   17.32KB   17 downloads

Ashworth, Bridge, Colonel Isherwood, Wood and Cremen

Attached File  Ashworth Bridge Colonel Isherwood Wood and Cremen.jpg   13.97KB   17 downloads

#30 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,221 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:24 PM

Steve,

Many thanks for putting these pictures up and for helping us to share them

regards
Michael

#31 micheal

micheal

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

and I would also like to thank steve for putting these photos on after trying so long we managed to sort it out and i hope everybody is enjoying them were they should be on the forum as a tribute to these brave men of the lancashire fusiliers and all the men who served in galipoli and france 1914-1918,regards michael.

#32 Krithia

Krithia

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:11 PM

The Dardanelles Cup - This particular match being played at Helles between 1/5 and 1/8th LF

Attached File  Dardanelles Cup 5th and 8th LF.jpg   21.45KB   1 downloads

#33 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,906 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:41 PM

Thought you my like to see my Lancashire Fusiliers Captain's jacket.

#34 Krithia

Krithia

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 834 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:12 PM

2nd Lt H K Hoyle, 5th Lancs Fusiliers, killed in action May 7th 1915. Note the Wolseley helmet on the grave.

Attached File  2nd Lt H K Hoyle 5th Lancs Fusiliers killed in action May 7th 1915.jpg   27.79KB   0 downloads

#35 Krithia

Krithia

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 834 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:59 PM

In Memory of Second Lieutenant EDWIN SAMUEL FRIZELLE

5th Bn., Lancashire Fusiliers
who died age 21 on 03 August 1915
Son of William George and Janie Frizelle, of Knutsford House, Cliftonville, Belfast. Native of Dungannon, Co. Tyrone.
Remembered with honour - LANCASHIRE LANDING CEMETERY

Attached File  Copy of Frizelles Grave.jpg   40.28KB   1 downloads

#36 Krithia

Krithia

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 834 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

Trench occupied on May 7th opening out onto cliff

(probably off Gully Spur?)

Attached File  Copy of Galipoli - Trench occupied on May 7th opening out onto cliff.jpg   26.49KB   0 downloads

Bivouac - Colonel Isherwood and Major Holt

Attached File  Copy of Gallipoli - Dugout Bivouack Col Isherwood Major Holt.jpg   41.1KB   0 downloads

#37 Mark Hone

Mark Hone

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:14 AM

Very good. Some of these are duplicates of ones already held by the Fusilier Museum in Bury-in fact I used several (the trench opening out onto the sea, the grave of Humphrey King Hoyle etc) in a talk I gave at the Museum on 5th battalion at Gallipoli a year ago, focussing on the 7th May engagement. Some have also appeared in local history publications about other LF battalions in 42 Div. published a few years ago. However some of them I haven't seen before. In what form did you send your copies to the museum?

#38 micheal

micheal

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:46 PM

hi mark,I took the photos into the L.F museum and spoke to phil who was most pleased with them he said he had not seen these photos before and i asked him if they would like a copy of each one for the museums use they copied all of them 33 in total from the L.Fs and 18 from the manchester regiment training somewhere, and sgts and officers posing by their tents i think most of the L.Fs photos were taken by officers of the 5th battalion as 2 of photos have officers with cameras how many of these photos have you seen before? please let me know regards michael.

#39 Krithia

Krithia

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 834 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:15 PM

"In Australian Lines - Mingler and Horridge - Man looking through Periscope"

Attached File  Gallipoli - In Australian Lines - Mingler and Horridge - Man looking through Periscope.jpg   29.45KB   1 downloads

Looking at Turks through a Periscope

Attached File  Gallipoli - Looking at Turks thro Periscope.jpg   25.8KB   1 downloads

On the way to Gallipoli

Attached File  Gallipoli -.jpg   33.71KB   0 downloads

#40 Krithia

Krithia

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 834 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

To continue the Gallipoli story of the 1/5th Lancshire Fusiliers. Again a big thanks to Michael for allowing these to be posted.

Shrapnel Point looking towards Anzac.

Attached File  Gallipoli - Shrapnel Point looking towards Anzac.jpg   28.13KB   0 downloads

Off W Beach

Attached File  Gallipoli - W Beach.jpg   25.16KB   0 downloads

Lemnos - Carrying wounded Australian to landing stage to go on board Hospital Ship

Attached File  Lemnos - Carrying wounded Australian to landing stage to go on board Hospital Ship.jpg   28.53KB   0 downloads

#41 micheal

micheal

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:38 PM

the picture of the ship I think is H.M.S euralius a cruiser with 4 funnels but there must be experts on ships on the forum who can say whether it is or not,hope everybody likes the photos,regards michael.

#42 Krithia

Krithia

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:44 PM

Attached File  hms_euryalus.jpg   52.63KB   0 downloads

HMS Euryalus (source http://www.euryalus.org.uk/)

It could be, looks similar.

Regards, Steve

#43 Krithia

Krithia

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 834 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:31 PM

French Camp at Helles

Attached File  Gallipoli French Camp.jpg   30.36KB   0 downloads

Headquarters - Stony Lines - Achi Baba in distance on left. Anyone know where the Stony Lines were?

Attached File  Headquarters - Stony Lines - Achi Baba in distance on left.jpg   46.12KB   1 downloads

Wounded back in Blighty

Attached File  30.jpg   20.4KB   1 downloads

#44 Krithia

Krithia

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 834 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:41 PM

And there my chums the photographic story of the 1/5th LFs ends.

Thanks again to Michael W for allowing them to be shared, truly a remarkable archive of regimental pics.

If any of the images can be better identified as to location or subject, or any other supporting information, it will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

#45 PMHart

PMHart

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 688 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:04 AM

Hi Steve & Michael,

Well worth the wait in the end - great stuff chums! Thanks for sharing with us!

Sated Pete

#46 micheal

micheal

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:27 PM

hi forum members, hope everyone liked the photos it is a story in photos of the 5th L.FS from eygpt to galipoli which i personaly think is quite unique I have looked on every site on the internet about galipoli and not found a set like them,they must have been taken by officers of the 5th L.Fs,i cannot think of enyone else who would have been allowed.just a few things on the photos,in australian lines the caption should read mungler there were 2 munglers in the 5th one was a captain and one was a LT i beleive it was the LT, in the other photo it is not stoney lines i think it is strong lines achi baba in the distance on the left, thanks to steve once again for putting them on,regards michael.

#47 micheal

micheal

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:17 PM

hi everyone,I have just got some names of the back of the photos and I was wondering what happened to these men were they K.I.A or wounded at galipoli or in france?does anybody know?they are Major J A CREMEN,CAPT E ASHWORTH.LT J.K.BRIDGE,and MAJOR T HOLT,I would be very gratefull for any information,regards michael.

#48 mebu

mebu

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:31 PM

Michael.....as one who has Lancs Fus family links, found these photos very interesting....but as you seem to have stumbled across them.....how on earth can you claim copyright???

Peter

#49 micheal

micheal

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:56 PM

hi peter,when we put these photos on the forum because some of the photos have not been seen before we thought it might be a good idea to put copyright through them to stop them being copied for gain and other use,they are for the great war forum members to see like yourself I have to protect them,now that they have been stumbled across as you put it. hope this helps regards michael.

#50 micheal

micheal

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:44 PM

the colonel and Wood going around the trenches

Attached File  Colonel and Wood going round Trenches.jpg   17.32KB   17 downloads

Ashworth, Bridge, Colonel Isherwood, Wood and Cremen

Attached File  Ashworth Bridge Colonel Isherwood Wood and Cremen.jpg   13.97KB   17 downloads

i have just been looking at the regiment photo outside barracks in cairo eygpt and this photo of ashworth,bridge,colonel isherwood,wood and cremen bottom left is not LT bridge but is LT clarence yapp who was k,i.action 7th august 1915 it looks like whoever wrote on the back made a mistake the photos are the same man LT clarence yapp,I will keep trying to put names to these faces on these photos.micheal

Reply to this topic