L.FUSILIERS PHOTOS GALIPOLI

60 replies to this topic

#1 micheal

micheal

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:42 PM

hi forum members,I have 33 photos of the 5th lancashire fusiliers in eygpt and galipoli sailing in,bivuacking,in the trenches,they are apear to be taken on a brownie camera by i presume an officer with the 5th, trouble is i am not very good with computers i cant seem to put them on, i would like to put a few of them on for forum members to see on the galipoli forum because i believe they have not been seen before, i managed to put the 2 galipoli graves on the 1914-1918 forum with the help of members and nearly 4000 people have seen them so it has been an interesting subject any help would be much appreiated,best regards micheal.

#2 Mark Hone

Mark Hone

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:36 AM

Hi, Michael. The Fusiliers Museum in Bury already has a lot of what sound like the same pictures already digitized from an original set of 'magic lantern' slides. What was your source? The archive would be very interested to see if you have any 'new' ones.

#3 micheal

micheal

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:54 AM

hi mark,the fusilier museum has been given a copy of each photo that i have on the understanding for the museums use only for their virtual world so that the people of bury and greater manchester will be able to see just what these lads went through,there are 18 photos of the manchester regiment also,I was expecting the virtual world to be up and running now they have had them for about 6 months,if you would like to see the original s you can just email me at m.wellock@talktalk.net.best regards michael.

#4 micheal

micheal

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:31 PM

hi everyone,i have tried to put some of these photos of galipoli that i have and every time i do it says file to big what am i doing wrong is it trying to put the whole file on? or is there somthing else i am doing wrong is there somebody out there that can help with instructions please,best regards micheal.

#5 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,234 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

Michael,

Try using a host site such as Photobucket (http://photobucket.com/)
After lodging your photographs there you can provide a direct link for each image to this forum and the host site will resize them for you automatically

good luck
Michael

#6 micheal

micheal

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

hi michael,I have tried to put them on still no go it will not respond to size so i will have to wait till a friend comes back from australia on the subject of the photos, i have lot of names on them maybe you or the galipoli guys could help,and find out what happened to them they are all officers,1st photo is outside barracks cairo ,col wood and col allerdyce,2nd photo col isherwood and major holt,3rd photo in australian lines mungler and horridge,they are all 5th battalion lancashire fusileirs,hopeing somebody out there knows and i can get some of these photos on as soon as possible. best regards mike.

#7 CGM

CGM

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:28 PM

Hallo Micheal,
If you have photos on photobucket you can try this method, which puts a thumbnail photo on the forum. Anyone clicking on this is taken straight to the full size photo bucket photo.

1) Log in to Photobucket and click on the chosen photo.
2) Click on "SHARE" (above or to the side of the photo)
3) Then choose "GET LINK CODE"
4) Tick "IMG for bulletin boards and forums - "CLICKABLE THUMBNAIL"
5) Click on the URL (which will become highlighted)
6) "SAVE" will appear at the bottom of the page. Click on this.
7) Go to the forum, start a reply and right click and paste.

Cross your fingers

Regards
CGM

#8 IPT

IPT

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:55 PM

A few guesses. No doubt wiser heads will prevail.

Lt Col James Isherwood
Maj Arthur Johnston Allardyce
Capt Walter Horridge MC
Lt Col George Benson Glen Wood DSO

#9 Blackblue

Blackblue

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,379 posts
  • Interests:Lancashire Fusiliers (9th & 1/5th Battalions)
    Australian Imperial Force

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:22 PM

Would be great to see these Michael.

Rgds

Tim

#10 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,234 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

Michael,

You mention a photograph outside a barracks in Cairo this could have been at the Abbassia Camp, where the battalion was before transferring to Gallipoli.

5th May 1915 They arrived on the peninsula
6th In action in 2nd Battle of Krithia
7th Took part in attack on Gurkha Bluff "Many casualties from both British and Turkish shells" withdrew to W Beach during night. Casualties: 5 officers & 183 other ranks
8th Bivouacked
11th In forward positions at Krithia Nullah
20th In support line
23rd In reserve

4th June 1915 3rd Battle of Krithia in area of West Krithia Nullah above junction with East Krithia Nullah
5th Enemy counter-attack
6th Some gains in afternoon
11th Relieved and to support lines. Casualties: 130
17th To front line
20th Redoubt Line (support/reserve)
23rd To Lemnos

10th July 1915 Sailed for Gallipoli
11th Landed and to trenches in Krithia Nullah sector
16th To Support Line
18th Front Line
22nd Reserve *
29th Reserve in Eski Line (slightly further back)
31st In support in Redoubt Line, Krithia Nullah

3rd August 1915 To front line
7th Took part in attack on The Vineyard. This was a very hard fight. 'All officers became casualties.' Heavy fighting for next two days but gains held
9th Relieved and to support line *
13th To reserve at X Beach
19th In trenches at Gully Ravine
22nd To reserve at X Beach
25th then Gully Beach

2nd September 1915 To trenches at Fusilier Bluff
18th Gully Beach
24th In trenches at Gully Ravine

1st October 1915 Gully Beach
6th In support at Y Ravine
15th In front line Gully Ravine
29th Gully Beach. Note: battalion temporarily amalgamated with 1/8th Lancashire Fusiliers due to casualties and sickness

12th November To trenches at Gully Ravine
26th At Y Ravine

10th December 1915 To trenches at Gully Ravine
24th Eski Line East (a reserve position)
27th Gully Beach then to W Beach & sailed that night for Mudros harbour on Lemnos Island
Casualties during campaign 9 officers and 234 other ranks

Above details taken from Ray Westlake's' book 'British Regiments at Gallipoli' (ISBN 0 85052 511 X) published 1996 by Leo Cooper. You will probably get more information from the book on the 42nd Division mentioned in Laura's thread here http://1914-1918.inv...howtopic=158797

Quite a few of the positions mentioned above will be found on the map below,
* including the 1st & 2nd Australian Lines. I would guess that the 5th Battalion went into these at about the same time as the 6th Battalion LF, which was when they were in 'reserve' in July and August

Posted Image

Looking forward to seeing your photographs in due course.

Good Luck
Michael

#11 micheal

micheal

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:45 PM

hi everyone thank you for all the information exellent stuff i am still trying to put photos on,after looking at lauras war memorial site i noticed that the 7th august 1915 was a disastrus day for the lancashire fusiliers so many dead and i presume wounded as well were from bury,radclife,it shocked me that these young men from as young as 17 yrs old were killed, the town must have been in mourning so many young lives lost,were i live is on the site of the bolton rd barracks were these men trained to go to galipoli,is it fate to find these photos at a car boot sale left in my garage at the bottom of a cardboard box for 5 years and then ripping the box up to have them fall out on my feet,it is very strange its as if these men are telling me to tell their story and i will with help of this forum and the experts on it who i admire so much for their knowledge of the subject,best regards michael.

#12 Vista52

Vista52

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 331 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:06 AM

On the subject of posting photos, I can feel your frustration Micheal. Joining Photobucket is a good idea. Upload your photos to it , then follow CGM directions. You can use thumbnail code or IMG code. Either will work. If I lived within 30 miles of you, I would pop over and help you myself.

You can also use Google search to help with info. Use something like "Upload photos to Photobucket" or "Posting Photobucket to Forums".

#13 micheal

micheal

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:35 PM

Michael,

Try using a host site such as Photobucket (http://photobucket.com/)
After lodging your photographs there you can provide a direct link for each image to this forum and the host site will resize them for you automatically

good luck
Michael

#14 PMHart

PMHart

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 688 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:36 PM

You know having watched this thread with a patient trembling excitement as everyone tries to help Michael I suddenly don't want to see these photos - why can that be?

Deferred Gratification Pete

#15 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,234 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

I suddenly don't want to see these photos - why can that be?

Don't waste money or time on doctors and pills
Sounds like you need a holiday somewhere quiet

Get well soon
Michael

#16 PMHart

PMHart

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 688 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:43 PM

Back from holiday, what still no photos! I'll put up my holiday snapshots to keep us going! My mankini is most fetching!

Pete

#17 Krithia

Krithia

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 834 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:26 AM

Back from holiday, what still no photos! I'll put up my holiday snapshots to keep us going! My mankini is most fetching!

Pete

Oh for Pete's sake, please don't!

Michael, the anticipation is killing us :-)

Seriously though, if you need a hand on the technology side, feel free to shout.

#18 micheal

micheal

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:58 PM

hi krithia, i can only apologize to all of you for not getting these pictures on the forum I have tried for a week i have joined photo bucket I have followed the instructions to the letter still cant do it its driving me up the wall I must be doing something wrong any help would be very much apreciated,best regards mike.

#19 Mark Hone

Mark Hone

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:26 PM

Is this one of the photos? This is a compressed version of one taken from the originals held by the Fusilier Museum which I used in a talk on 5th Battalion at the Museum last year. They show the 5th Battalion, (later 1/5th) and some of the other LF Territorial battalions in 42nd Div. on the boat out, in Egypt , the Aegean and in action at Gallipoli. Several indeed show Abbassia barracks and training exercises in the desert. I think that the pictures you hold may be from another copy of the same set of photographs. Some have appeared in print before in various publications about the campaign.

Attached Files

#20 Krithia

Krithia

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 834 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

We have a plan to post these photos very soon, so watch this space ...

regards, Krithia

#21 micheal

micheal

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

Is this one of the photos? This is a compressed version of one taken from the originals held by the Fusilier Museum which I used in a talk on 5th Battalion at the Museum last year. They show the 5th Battalion, (later 1/5th) and some of the other LF Territorial battalions in 42nd Div. on the boat out, in Egypt , the Aegean and in action at Gallipoli. Several indeed show Abbassia barracks and training exercises in the desert. I think that the pictures you hold may be from another copy of the same set of photographs. Some have appeared in print before in various publications about the campaign.

hi mark, yes that is one of the photos and there are 10 in eygpt i will just give brief description of the ones in eygpt, church parade 5th L.F band marching outside barracks,2 captain g wood and major a.j allardyce outside barracks,3 sailing in a boat on nile 9 officers,4 outside barracks the whole battalion with tents in background,5 embarking at alexandra for galipoli horses and men carrages in back ground,6 the whole battalion 5th L.F in desert,7,3 officers stood at the side of the nile displaying their kills of small birds, these are just some in eygpt, do they ring any bells with you,regards mike.

#22 Krithia

Krithia

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:15 PM

Here follows quite a remarkable series of 34 photos, courtesy of forum member michael, that chart the history of the 1/5th Lancashire Fusiliers (125 Bde, 42nd Division) from early 1915 in Abbassia camp, Egypt, through to late summer 1915 on Cape Helles, Gallipoli. Some of the photos have captions on the reverse, these I have included, but others are blank, but I am sure with all the knowledge on the forum we can help Michael with filling in those blanks and adding to those already captioned.

The story begins in Egypt ...

Attached File  Egypt.jpg   34.18KB   6 downloads

#23 Krithia

Krithia

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

Caption: Wood and Allandyce.

I believe this to be Captain & Adjutant G. Wood of the battalion. But Allandyce ? Photo taken in Egypt probably Jan-April 1915.

Attached File  Wood Allandyce.jpg   33.58KB   0 downloads

#24 Krithia

Krithia

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 834 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:55 PM

The Citadel ...
Attached File  Egypt Citadel.jpg   27.39KB   1 downloads

1/5 LF on parade
Attached File  Egypt - Church Parade 5LF.jpg   32.7KB   0 downloads

#25 Krithia

Krithia

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 834 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

Egypt - the battalion embarking at Alexandria for Gallipoli

Attached File  Egypt - embarking at Alexandria for Gallipoli.jpg   28.58KB   1 downloads

Reply to this topic