Photo

Swiss legation inspection reports of UK POW camps

1 reply to this topic

#1 domsim

domsim

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Archaeologist. Interested in Ottoman Army in Jordan & the Hejaz. Also interested in 18th century military camps.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:08 PM

Hi folks

I have posted a reply on Dave's query about Hursley Park POW camp near Winchester which includes details of inspection reports of most of the POW camps in Britain by the Swiss legation in London in the Foreign Office files (see link here Legation reports

There are a couple of large images attached to show examples and a link to the website at Kew for an example. These reports are quite detailed and give locations, numbers of prisoners reports on facilities grievances etc. most seem to date from 1917 onwards

Skipping through the rest of the sub-forum I see they haven't been mentioned before so I thought I would flag them up. I can post somemore examples if anybody is interested (mainly of Dorset, Wiltshire camps which I am interested in)? I havent looked at all the files yet??!!

Cheers
Dominic

#2 David Key

David Key

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:The history of Hursley Park, nr Winchester over 1,000 years of uninterrupted history.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

Hi folks

I have posted a reply on Dave's query about Hursley Park POW camp near Winchester which includes details of inspection reports of most of the POW camps in Britain by the Swiss legation in London in the Foreign Office files (see link here Legation reports

There are a couple of large images attached to show examples and a link to the website at Kew for an example. These reports are quite detailed and give locations, numbers of prisoners reports on facilities grievances etc. most seem to date from 1917 onwards

Skipping through the rest of the sub-forum I see they haven't been mentioned before so I thought I would flag them up. I can post somemore examples if anybody is interested (mainly of Dorset, Wiltshire camps which I am interested in)? I havent looked at all the files yet??!!

Cheers
Dominic

Hi Dominic,

First thanks for the original posting, much appreciated and really interesting :thumbsup:

I would certainly be interested in any more detail you can provide. Obviously my interest is primarily Hursley/Winchester but anything that gives more background to help me understand what was going on is more than welcome.

Cheers
Dave