14 replies to this topic

#1 The Monkey God

The Monkey God

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

Hi Guys,

Has anyone got any pictures of Quetta Government cemetery that they could share?

Does anyone know where it is? I have surfed the net but can`t seem to find anything about it.

Gordon.

#2 Sandie

Sandie

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:37 PM

Is this the place? http://www.youtube.c...h?v=eUlVc5X912E

Go to this site and click on Pakistan: http://twgpp.org/cem...y_locations.php I'm not sure what information is available, I'm in work and the site isn't available on my work computer.

#3 The Monkey God

The Monkey God

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

Thanks Sandie, same problem here, can`t access it (from work) but will certainly give it a bash when I get home, so many thanks for that. Since I posted my orignal thread I`ve done a bit of digging and via google earth have found the Quetta Christian Cemetary but have drawn a blank with regards to the Quetta Government Cemetary. I wonder if these are in fact one & the same? Gordon.

#4 Sandie

Sandie

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:18 PM

The youtube link is to the Christian cemetery but all the photographs are military, you could be right about them being one and the same.

Good luck,
Sandie

#5 The Monkey God

The Monkey God

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

Hi Sandie, got the link to work from home. It appears that there are at least 4 cemetarys in Quetta, however, none of them that I can see are called government cemetary. So at this time I`m still none the wiser lol.

CWGC gives details for the soldier I`m researching as...

Private JOHN MARTIN

7022, 2nd Bn., The King's (Liverpool Regiment)
who died
on 26 June 1918
(Buried Quetta Govt. Cem. XXV. E. 2457.).

Gordon.

#6 The Monkey God

The Monkey God

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:29 PM

Martin isn`t alone there it would seem............

BRIAN HARFORD MORRISON

Lieutenant 22nd Punjabis

who died on Monday 9 June 1919 .

Additional Information: (Buried Quetta Govt. Cemetery XXVII. 2351.) Cemetery: DELHI MEMORIAL (INDIA GATE) India Grave or Reference Panel Number: Face 2 Haileybury Register 1862-1983 Thomason 1913-15 son of G. Morrison born 31 October 1898 Died of wounds at Quetta India of wounds received on Afghan Frontier

#7 The Monkey God

The Monkey God

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:32 PM

&.............

POTTInitials:D R BNationality:United KingdomRank:Shoeing SmithRegiment/Service:Royal Field ArtilleryUnit Text:102nd Bty.Age:23Date of Death:19/10/1918Service No:910978Additional information:Son of Daniel and Emma Pott, of 80, Glenfield Rd., Dover. (Buried Quetta Govt. Cem. XXXI. 3024.).Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:Face 1.Memorial:DELHI MEMORIAL (INDIA GATE)

#8 The Monkey God

The Monkey God

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:37 PM

& a woman........

Letita Gladys Moreton Died 11 November 1916
Place of Death Quetta, India
Cause of Death Enteric fever
Cemetery or Memorial Details 43 Delhi Memorial India
War Grave Register Notes MORETON, Sister Letittia Gladys. Australian Nursing Service, attd. Australian Gen. Hosp. No. 2. Died of enteric 11th Nov., 1916. Age 26. Daughter of Samuel Henry and Letetia Dexter Moreton. Born at Brim, Victoria, Australia. (Buried Quetta Govt. Cem. 209
Rank Staff Nurse
Unit Australian Nursing Service attached Australian Gen Hosp No 2
Service Army

#9 The Monkey God

The Monkey God

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:43 PM

&................

Name: MELLIS
Initials: W J
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)
Unit Text: 270th Coy.
Date of Death: 30/10/1918
Service No: 119084
Additional information: Son of Margaret Mellis, of 43, Eskdaill St., Langholm, Dumfriesshire, and the late Alexander Mellis. (Buried Quetta Govt. Cem. XXXIII. 3183.).
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Face 23.
Memorial: DELHI MEMORIAL (INDIA GATE)

Attached Files

#10 Sandie

Sandie

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

From TWGPP:

Martin, John
Posted Image

Cemetery: Delhi Memorial (India Gate)
Area:
Official Number: 7022
Unit: 2nd Bn. The King's (Liverpool Regiment)
Force: Army
Nationality: British
Details:
26/06/18 Face 1. (Buried Quetta Govt. Cem. XXV. E. 2457.).

UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919 about John Martin
Name:John Martin Birth Place:Kilcock, Ireland Residence:Kilcock Death Date:26 Jun 1918 Death Location:India

Enlistment Location:Gosport, Dorset Rank:Private Regiment:King's (Liverpool Regiment) Battalion:2nd BattalionNumber:7022 Type of Casualty:Died Theatre of War:Asiatic Theatres

None of this helps you any, sorry. I can't find anything else.

#11 The Monkey God

The Monkey God

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:25 AM

Thanks Sandie. No surprises there an Irishman enlisting in the Liverpool Regiment, but what is interesting that he did this via Gosport??

From all the evidence, scant as it is that I`v been able to glean from the internet. I think its a safe bet (unless anyone can they me differently) that the Christian Cemetary & the Government Cemetary are in fact one and the same.......

#12 Paul21455

Paul21455

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

This casualty, in which I have an interest, is also in Quetta Government Cemetery:

http://www.cwgc.org/...asualty=1436859

I would be grateful for any information which might lead to the possibility of obtaining a headstone photograph, or any further details.

Thanks,

Paul.

#13 ed coyne

ed coyne

Corporal

• Members2
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:02 AM

hello folks; try QUETTA CANTONEMENT CEMETERY, my unkle,harry william lloyd,scottish rifles,was buried there in 1924.the cemetery is in poor overgrown condition with no maintainence due to the troubles over there.i got this info from C.W.G.C.,about a month or so ago. regards ed

#14 The Monkey God

The Monkey God

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:17 PM

hello folks; try QUETTA CANTONEMENT CEMETERY, my unkle,harry william lloyd,scottish rifles,was buried there in 1924.the cemetery is in poor overgrown condition with no maintainence due to the troubles over there.i got this info from C.W.G.C.,about a month or so ago. regards ed

Thanks Ed, thats very interesting. I assume that the soldiers buried therein in have CWGC head stones?

#15 Suddery

Suddery

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,002 posts
  • Interests:WW1 Photographs
    London Regiment
    British in India & The East

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

Did anyone ever further this ?

I've recently found this link which I'll be looking at and may be of some help.

Cemeteries

A BACSA (British Association for Cemeteries in South Asia) cemetery publication is
  • Quetta: Monuments and Inscriptions by Susan Farrington, 1992 Covers the cemeteries, town's history, the staff college, railways, churches and the 1935 earthquake. See BACSA Books.
BACSA are in the process of putting the indexes to its cemetery books online and these indexes are free to browse. If an indexed name is of interest then application can be made to BACSA for details of the relevant burial inscription - charges apply for this service.
The BACSA Archive at the British Library has the following items: shelfmark Mss Eur F370: Cemetery Files
no.740: Quetta 1, Pakistan: Baleli Road: 1884-,
no.741: Quetta 2, Pakistan: Shaldara: closed; Lytton Road: closed; Earthquake

Not sure how much damage the earthquake in 1935 did to the cemeteries but above indicates some at least. I believe about a third of the cantonment was destroyed.

Tim

Reply to this topic