From today's paper....
More Diggers from Fromelles identified
JOSEPH CATANZARO, The West Australian
April 6, 2011, 5:14 am
At least 10 more Australian soldiers found buried in a mass grave near the World War I battlefield of Fromelles have been identified, among them a Digger who served with WA's 32nd Battalion.
Sources confirmed that army personnel yesterday called descendants of the lost Diggers to tell them that, after almost 95 years, their relatives' remains would finally be accorded the dignity of a name in death.
It is understood 14 of the 154 still officially unidentified soldiers will be named in an announcement, possibly as early as today.
Sources said one of the identified Diggers had served with the 32nd Battalion, which was made up of South Australian and WA recruits.
The impending announcement could see another of the 12 West Australians still thought to be among the unknown dead identified.
(This is just supposition by the Journo because it's a WA paper - Tim)
The remains of the soldier who served with the 32nd Battalion were revealed yesterday to be those of South Australian private Maurice Leslie Reid after his great niece Josie Price confirmed she had received the phone call her family had been waiting on for almost 95 years.
"They (the army) called me today. I've got goosebumps," she said.
The 63-year-old Port Augusta resident said an enduring family mystery about a young man who never came home had been laid to rest.
Service records show Pte Reid went missing at the Battle at Fromelles on July 19, 1916, during the bloodiest 24 hours in Australian military history.
By the time the guns fell silent on July 20, 5533 Diggers had been killed, wounded or captured, 718 of them from the WA 32nd Battalion.
That's exactly the information I received yesterday as well but what I don't know is whether the number 14 is only from the ID Board's Day 1 deliberations and if there are to be more identifications made during the remaining three days. Either way it'still a great result!!