Photo

Glasgow Get Together

54 replies to this topic

#26 Glesga Highlander

Glesga Highlander

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:My interests are the social history of the East End of Glasgow where I was born and raised especially the Parkhead and Camlachie districts. Plus the Great War with special interest in the 15th , 16th &17th Highland Light Infantry.

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:56 AM

Sorry to be an absolute pain but is there any chance we could change this event to the following week i.e. the 16th aka Fair Saturday.Posted Image

#27 Sandy_Leishman

Sandy_Leishman

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:Highland Light Infantry<br />Royal Scots Fusiliers<br />Royal Navy<br />Rangers<br />Scotland

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

Aye Charlie, doen't suit too many of the chaps, any suggestions for a new date as well as venue?

#28 Glesga Highlander

Glesga Highlander

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:My interests are the social history of the East End of Glasgow where I was born and raised especially the Parkhead and Camlachie districts. Plus the Great War with special interest in the 15th , 16th &17th Highland Light Infantry.

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:38 PM

If we can agree to the date change first Sandy I will then check out an alternative venue to the Counting house...Posted Image

#29 Piorun

Piorun

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,539 posts
  • Interests:Rugby football, golf, family research, military history, Scotch whisky, Polish vodka.

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

I'm OK 16th. A

#30 Glesga Highlander

Glesga Highlander

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:36 PM

Ok guys and gals I checked out the Camperdown pub just up from the Counting House, today and it will suit our needs plus there is a pint and burger deal which will suit you greedy biggers. It is at the entrance to Queen Street Station and was once known as Berlin's, I think. Posted Image I will take the liberty of changing the original meeting from the 9th to the 16th. Let me know asap if you are likely to attend. By the way I am looking for someone to man the computer for Glasgow 1914 - 18 tent/stall family history enquiries at the Lanark Scots History event in August....any volunteers.Posted Image

#31 Glesga Highlander

Glesga Highlander

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:08 AM

OK troops I spoke to Sandy yesterday...who is on holiday yet again...and we have decided to go ahead with the meeting on Saturday 16th of July in the Camperdown Place pub at the entrance to Queen Street Railway Station looking on to George Square. I will be there from around 12 noon. Sandy will be bringing along some of his new Erskine and 2nd Scots badges for sale. I would appreciate it this time if we can all prepare a hand out listing the various Great War groups that we are involved with...in the absence of the minutes that Miss Shaw was supposed to provide from the last meeting. Posted Image

Also could any of the Edinburgh crowd do your homework and suggest a good drinking hole for the next meeting in Edinburgh at the end of August.Posted Image

Those attending so far...

Charlie , Sandy and Anthony

#32 Piorun

Piorun

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,539 posts
  • Interests:Rugby football, golf, family research, military history, Scotch whisky, Polish vodka.

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:10 PM

Perhaps we can discuss the woeful state of the Glasgow Highlanders' Cairn at High Wood.
Mind you, I'm told that there was a Glesga Highlander in a woeful state in Pozieres last Friday :whistle: .
Antony (without an "h")

Will Miss Shaw be court-martialled?

#33 Glesga Highlander

Glesga Highlander

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:56 PM

That could well be a point of discussion though I am sure that Danny did speak about it being renovated sometime soon.

Well I can only speak for myself Piorun ... I was safely tucked up in my bed at my hotel in Fontaine Notre Dame last Friday when the light show was going on down in Pozieres.

Aye I think she should be punished in some way but let me think about it.

Incidentally lads I have rejoined the WFA after an absence of many , many years.Posted Image

#34 Piorun

Piorun

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:33 PM

You are so lucky, Charlie! That was the coldest "summer" night I've ever spent in my life! The C.O. and I only survived through the good graces of an Edinburgh man who gave us a dram or two. It was truly an endurance exercise of three hours and about three degrees. Many simply gave up - which was a pity because the folk in Pozieres had put in a huge amount of effort. Yours aye, Antony

#35 DMcNay

DMcNay

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 978 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:55 AM

I won't be able to make the 16th, sorry chaps.

#36 Glesga Highlander

Glesga Highlander

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 318 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:09 AM

Don't worry too much David I will keep you posted as to what is happening and what we are planning...in other words I will take the minutes. If you feel you would like anything placed on the agenda then please feel free to list it and send it to me. Perhaps a wee update on what is happening with the Memorials Project and City of Glasgow Roll of Honour would be of interest to us all...Posted Image

#37 barrieduncan

barrieduncan

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,655 posts
  • Interests:10th Battalion, The Gordon Highlanders, and all Battalions of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:10 AM

I'll nip along for a wee while and say hello, and maybe manage to force down a pint or two. What happened to the change of venue though? :whistle:

#38 Piorun

Piorun

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:46 PM

I think we're at the Camperdown pub. Don't worry about having to force down the pints. I'll help out. Antony

#39 barrieduncan

barrieduncan

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,655 posts
  • Interests:10th Battalion, The Gordon Highlanders, and all Battalions of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:10 PM

Ah thats ok then - I'll blame Sandy for confusing me, he told me you were all meeting at the Counting House! Phew! :)

#40 Glesga Highlander

Glesga Highlander

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:55 PM

A big thanks to Barry , Sandy and Antony for turning up yesterday. I thought it was a good meeting and very productive . All we need to do now is carry out some of our plans, especially re the Glesga Highlanders Memorial at High Wood. I will check out the Longeuval links asap and I reckon our 'Jocks on the Somme' trip is a goer mind you how we fit it in with Barry's proposed stag night in Albert I am not quite sure how it will workout. Antony I will forward you a brief minute of the meeting shortly.
Sorry I cannot make the wedding net year Barry as I will be on the Somme for the First of July...you could always have your honeymoon there.Posted Image

I hope to see you all at Lanark in August.

#41 Piorun

Piorun

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:45 PM

If you send me a transcript of your notes, Charlie, I'll make do with that. A pm with e-mail addresses from all of you would be useful. Antony

#42 Glesga Highlander

Glesga Highlander

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

Sorry guys I have been 'missing in action' these last few weeks since we last met. I will explain when we link up. Antony the minutes are in the end room somewhere underneath the books, the paint brushes and the photographs and paintings,,,I'll seek them out. Anyway guys who is up for a wee get together over the Glesga September Weekend or the week after..Posted Image

#43 Sandy_Leishman

Sandy_Leishman

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:Highland Light Infantry<br />Royal Scots Fusiliers<br />Royal Navy<br />Rangers<br />Scotland

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:17 AM

Sorry guys I have been 'missing in action' these last few weeks since we last met. I will explain when we link up. Antony the minutes are in the end room somewhere underneath the books, the paint brushes and the photographs and paintings,,,I'll seek them out. Anyway guys who is up for a wee get together over the Glesga September Weekend or the week after..Posted Image

Things are a bit awkward at the Minute Charlie, all my money is going to support No1 Daughters bid to be the hottest chick at Stirling Uni during Freshers week!

#44 Glesga Highlander

Glesga Highlander

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:56 PM

Come on Sandy twenty or thirty quid for a day oot wi' your Glesga Cronies will not bust the bank of Airdrie...Posted Image Anyone up for a drink and wee get together on Saturday the 1st of October. Posted Image

#45 Glesga Highlander

Glesga Highlander

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 318 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

It has been sometime since we ' Glesga Keelies' had a wee blether so after speaking to Sandy today we have decided to hold a get together on Friday 24th of February at 7.00 pm in the Camperdown at Queen Street Station, Glasgow. All welcome...bring a pal along.Posted Image

#46 MACRAE

MACRAE

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,688 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Highlanders, Highland Light Infantry

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

Hi Guys

Not sure if i will make that day as much as i would like to say yes just now, due to complications during surgery of removal of my prostate due to cancer, i have now been in hospital nearly a month. I am now on day release home, lost over a stone in weight , need my appetite back and my taste buds. So if i do not turn please give my best wishes to all and sorry again if i do not attend.

Danny

#47 barrieduncan

barrieduncan

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:12 PM

Sorry to hear you've been ill Danny but very glad that you're on the mend! Take your time mate, get well, and we'll catch up with you soon.

Barrie

#48 Sandy_Leishman

Sandy_Leishman

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 238 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

Doesn't seem to be much appetite for this one Charlie?

#49 Sandy_Leishman

Sandy_Leishman

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 238 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

I've talked with Charlie and we've decided to postpone our wee get the gither, how about re-scheduling it for Friday the 27th of April?

#50 Sandy_Leishman

Sandy_Leishman

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

I've talked with Charlie and we've decided to postpone our wee get the gither, how about re-scheduling it for Friday the 27th of April?

looks like another no go?