Photo

Glasgow Get Together

54 replies to this topic

#1 Sandy_Leishman

Sandy_Leishman

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:Highland Light Infantry<br />Royal Scots Fusiliers<br />Royal Navy<br />Rangers<br />Scotland

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:49 PM

Morning Men

Was thinking of having a wee get together for our wee history buffs group.

Venue: Counting House, George Square, Glasgow

Date/Time: Saturday 28th May 2011 Lunch timeish

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=202299659801757

#2 Piorun

Piorun

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,539 posts
  • Interests:Rugby football, golf, family research, military history, Scotch whisky, Polish vodka.

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:49 PM

Sounds good to me, Sandy, if I'm not coaching a referee that day. There are so many postponed fixtures, we've no idea when the season will end! Yours aye, Antony

#3 Sandy_Leishman

Sandy_Leishman

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:Highland Light Infantry<br />Royal Scots Fusiliers<br />Royal Navy<br />Rangers<br />Scotland

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:35 AM

Sounds good to me, Sandy, if I'm not coaching a referee that day. There are so many postponed fixtures, we've no idea when the season will end! Yours aye, Antony

Good man Antony, ye can only do yr best

#4 unitedsound

unitedsound

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:The Great War
    Family Tree
    Soul Music
    The Rangers FC
    History
    Belgian Beer
    Real Ale
    Golf on tv
    Indian Curries

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:15 PM

Sandy

Many thanks for your invite.

Looking forward to seeing you guys again at the Counting House next month.

David

#5 Sandy_Leishman

Sandy_Leishman

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:16 AM

Sandy

Many thanks for your invite.

Looking forward to seeing you guys again at the Counting House next month.

David

Good Man David

#6 skipman

skipman

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 12,037 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:24 PM

Hi Sandy. Am afraid I won't be able to make it, but look forward to being able to do so, sometime. Enjoy.

Cheers Mike

#7 Glesga Highlander

Glesga Highlander

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:My interests are the social history of the East End of Glasgow where I was born and raised especially the Parkhead and Camlachie districts. Plus the Great War with special interest in the 15th , 16th &17th Highland Light Infantry.

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:22 AM

I am up for it...seeing as you owe me a beer or two for you getting out of the Ayette Memorial Service earlier this month at George Square. I got absolutely soaked to the skin.Posted Image

#8 MACRAE

MACRAE

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,690 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Highlanders, Highland Light Infantry

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:15 PM

I am up for it...seeing as you owe me a beer or two for you getting out of the Ayette Memorial Service earlier this month at George Square. I got absolutely soaked to the skin.Posted Image

Are you feeling better Charlie are you realy feeling better :devilgrin:

Dan

#9 Sandy_Leishman

Sandy_Leishman

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:13 AM

Bit of a disaster men, I'm double booked!... I've got to be in Belfast that weekend, think the best plan would be for it to go ahead though?

#10 Glesga Highlander

Glesga Highlander

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:My interests are the social history of the East End of Glasgow where I was born and raised especially the Parkhead and Camlachie districts. Plus the Great War with special interest in the 15th , 16th &17th Highland Light Infantry.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:12 PM

Bit of a disaster men, I'm double booked!... I've got to be in Belfast that weekend, think the best plan would be for it to go ahead though?

Don't you worry about it Sandy it is still going ahead as planned...I am up for it and so is young Lynsey. Anyone else still coming along...Posted Image

#11 Piorun

Piorun

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,539 posts
  • Interests:Rugby football, golf, family research, military history, Scotch whisky, Polish vodka.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

I'm still on. Antony

#12 DMcNay

DMcNay

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 982 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:07 AM

I'm still on for a meetup.

#13 Piorun

Piorun

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:33 PM

A very fine afternoon! The motion regarding the court-martial of Private Leishman for being awol ("apologies" being unacceptable) was received with particular enthusiasm - as was the suggestion to find a future meeting-place that barred children of screaming age! Admiration (and disbelief) was expressed for the member who took on the mother and whomever was her shrinking male companion. The fact that the pub ran dry of Deuchars is evidence enough of the successful gathering. The presence of delegates from Edinburgh was also welcomed as evidence of the broad-minded approach to foreigners that the new Scotland endorses. These words are strictly unattributable to any member of this Forum.

#14 MACRAE

MACRAE

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,690 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Highlanders, Highland Light Infantry

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:37 PM

forgot all about it was to busy enjoying my self. was given a bag of HLI badges and told to help my self to what I did not have and I got 4 in total. Then spent the afternoon with a young lady who also gave me a gift of a masonic ring , it was like my birthday again.

Dan

#15 barrieduncan

barrieduncan

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:10th Battalion, The Gordon Highlanders, and all Battalions of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:32 PM

I had a great time yesterday, from what I can remember of it anyway! It was great to catch up with old friends and was very pleased to make some new ones. Looking forward to catching up with you all again in the future.

Barrie

#16 DMcNay

DMcNay

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 982 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:50 AM

I had a great time yesterday, from what I can remember of it anyway! It was great to catch up with old friends and was very pleased to make some new ones. Looking forward to catching up with you all again in the future.

Barrie

I second that. Very pleasant afternoon. Nice to catch up with some old friends and to make the acquantance of some new ones.

Let's not leave it so long till next time.

#17 Glesga Highlander

Glesga Highlander

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 318 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:16 AM

Yes I agree totally David apart from the weekend of the Somme First of July Commemorations I am available most Saturday's in June and July if anyone wishes to suggest a date and a venue. And I am still keen to introduce the Glasgow 1914-1918 Group at Lanark in August if Leishman would get his finger out and get committed to doing something positive re this group rather than doing all these 'freeebie' trips to Ulster.Posted Image

Ach Danny you missed a great afternoon out as some of us ended up discussing a subject close to your heart... the fitba.Posted Image We went from McCrae's Battalion and ended up discussing the finer points of Slater , Gilzean , Hamilton , Ure and Gordon Smith of Dundee. In amongst this we reminisced re the Famous Five of Smith , Johnstone, Reilly, Turnbull and Wullie Ormond, plus Turnbull's Tornadoes of the 1970's. Not forgetting the Hertz team of Young, MacKay, Conn and Bauld and of course who could ever forget Ritchie , Shearer , Caldow, Greig, McKinnon and Baxter...now that was some Roll of Honour I am sure that even you would have been moved to comment on.Posted Image And yes we did come to some agreement re the group and a minute will be forthcoming when young Lynsey sobers up...

#18 Sandy_Leishman

Sandy_Leishman

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:20 AM

Sorry for being so Tardy in replying chaps, been trying to catch up with my tail since returning home from Belfast (and it wisnae a freebie McDonald!) Court-Martial...... well, as some of my Divisional Officers would be only to happy to confirm, it was only a matter of time! Mea Culpa men Mea Culpa.

How about round 2? (if your livers can cope with it!)

'Folk' have mentioned the 9th of July as a possible date, any venue suggestions? one without kindergarten facilitiies?

#19 Piorun

Piorun

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:52 AM

Could do. Someone has to keep up the drinking rate! Antony

#20 Sandy_Leishman

Sandy_Leishman

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:28 PM

Could do. Someone has to keep up the drinking rate! Antony

Aye I had heard you were setting a farily brisk Pace Antony!

#21 barrieduncan

barrieduncan

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:10th Battalion, The Gordon Highlanders, and all Battalions of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:42 PM

Sounds grand to me. Any suggestions as to a new venue? I know the Counting House was chosen as it is central and easy to find, but perhaps we'd find somewhere less busy (and a good bit quieter) if we ventured out of the city centre? What about Coopers on Great Western Road - its massive, has loads of seats, serves reasonable food, and is a couple of minutes walk from Kelvinbridge Underground? I'm happy to go anywhere, but for me the quieter the pub the better!

#22 Piorun

Piorun

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:45 PM

I used to go shopping in Coopers with my auntie when I was a wee boy. They had pneumatic tubes for taking the money from the till to the counting room and back again with one's change. Whoooosh . . . . and away would go the brass cylinder with the rubber ends. Great fun! Can I play? Antony

#23 Malcolm

Malcolm

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:00 PM

AH I'll be up North on 9th July. Looks like I'm AWOL again. Does this mean a courts martial? :blink:

Aye
Malcolm

#24 Sandy_Leishman

Sandy_Leishman

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:44 AM

I used to go shopping in Coopers with my auntie when I was a wee boy. They had pneumatic tubes for taking the money from the till to the counting room and back again with one's change. Whoooosh . . . . and away would go the brass cylinder with the rubber ends. Great fun! Can I play? Antony

I can remember them from somewhere my Mammy used to shop when I was a wean, but can't for the life of me remember where it was now, mibbe the Co-Op?

#25 Sandy_Leishman

Sandy_Leishman

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:48 AM

AH I'll be up North on 9th July. Looks like I'm AWOL again. Does this mean a courts martial? :blink:

Aye
Malcolm

Yes... but you can Nobble the jury with Drink!