#1 Alan Tucker

Alan Tucker

Brigadier-General

• R.I.P.
  • 1,989 posts
  • Interests:Birmingham and the Great War
    Devonshire Regiment

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:01 AM

On Monday afternoon Richard Bacon took Radio 5 to the set at Highclere. In an interview with Penelope Wilton she said "whole villages were wiped out"!

#2 Chris_Baker

Chris_Baker

General

• Old Sweat
  • 13,848 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:02 AM

Was she referring to Verdun? :blink:

#3 Alan Curragh

Alan Curragh

Lieut-General

• Admin
  • 5,450 posts
  • Interests:Researching the Great War fallen of the Royal Belfast Academical Institution (Inst)

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:20 AM

I didn't hear the interview, but I would suggest that is the perception of one actress - and one that is, to be honest, held by many people - rather than anything to do with what the series will portray.

#4 Steven Broomfield

Steven Broomfield

General

• Old Sweats
  • 13,788 posts
  • Interests:10th Royal Hussars (PWO), 11th Hussars (PAO), The Royal Hussars (PWO), The King's Royal Hussars

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:22 AM

Interesting piece in the current London Scottish Gazette: apparently Downton Abbey (which I confess I've never seen) features the local Territorials in the next series. The London Jocks supplied Mess Silver and the (old) Regimental Colours for the Mess shots.

No idea where Downton is supposed to be, but I assume it's English. Thistles on the Regimental Colours will give we pedants something else to look out for :D

#5 ianw

ianw

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:31 AM

Yes, the producers will be quaking in their boots in fear of the wrath of the pedants of the GWF!

#6 Moonraker

Moonraker

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,553 posts
  • Interests:Military Wiltshire 1897-1920.

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:37 AM

Perhaps Alan Tucker meant Highclere (Berkshire) rather than Kingsclere (Hampshire? The two are close to one another, but Highclere is the "castle" (more a stately home) that features in the first series - and the second one. But I suppose they could have been filming a village scene in Kingsclere. And was Penelope Wilton referring to the population or the buildings being "wiped out".

I believe that the fictional Downton Abbey is set near York.

See here

Moonraker

#7 daggers

daggers

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

This thread already includes some great internal ammo for the Royal Corps of Pedants, in spelling and grammar!
The very title has "innaccuracies" to set us off, and then the usually reliable Mr Broomfield gives us "will give we pedants". Perhaps he has been affected by the overnight score at the Rose Bowl.

D

#8 Piorun

Piorun

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,539 posts
  • Interests:Rugby football, golf, family research, military history, Scotch whisky, Polish vodka.

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:10 AM

On Monday afternoon Richard Bacon took Radio 5 to the set at Kingsclere. In an interview with Penelope Wilton she said "whole villages were wiped out"!

To where and what was she referring? Antony

#9 Alan Tucker

Alan Tucker

Brigadier-General

• R.I.P.
  • 1,989 posts
    Devonshire Regiment

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:34 AM

The interview was clearly about the British context. Richard Bacon interviewed other members of the cast and had walked through the building past all the bandaged men in khaki. They were of course filming the second series. What annoyed me about this is that if you visit a large number of village war memorials what is striking is the lack of names not the number. For example my birth village in the West Country had 78 men and three nurses who served but only six deaths.

#10 Alan Tucker

Alan Tucker

Brigadier-General

• R.I.P.
  • 1,989 posts
    Devonshire Regiment

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:37 AM

My spelling by the way is as good as anyone on the Forum but not my keyboard skills!

This thread already includes some great internal ammo for the Royal Corps of Pedants, in spelling and grammar!
The very title has "innaccuracies" to set us off, and then the usually reliable Mr Broomfield gives us "will give we pedants". Perhaps he has been affected by the overnight score at the Rose Bowl.

D

#11 David Underdown

David Underdown

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,544 posts
  • Interests:The Rolls of Honour of the Central Council for Church Bell Ringers, and the Surrey Association of Church Bell Ringers.

Also remembering my Great-Great-Uncle Pte 30649 Frederick John Holbrook, 2nd Bn, Welsh Regiment, Died of Wounds 26 July 1916, buried Heilly Station Cemetery, II D 11 aged 19 according to CWGC, but born 5 May 1898. Entered France 12 May 1915. (Avatar)

Staff member (Digital Preservation) at The National Archives, but here in a personal capacity.

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:58 AM

I dont think the coat is intended to be period but I'm sure there are other things to pick on in this photo of Hugh Bonneville http://t.co/1spyrZ6

#12 Jonathan Saunders

Jonathan Saunders

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:07 PM

I enjoyed the first series and look forward to the second series starting. Its not often we get enjoyable entertainment on terrestrial tv these days.

Jonathan S

#13 ianw

ianw

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:26 PM

Jonathan,

I agree. I enjoyed it hugely. Solid acting and the whole thing looked lovely in HD. Really bootiful. Just the sort of fodder for 9pm on a Sunday.

#14 Sue Light

Sue Light

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:27 PM

I was approached by the writer of the book which will accompany the series, for permission to use a dozen lines or so from something I've written, so feel totally confident that at least one paragraph will be correct :lol:

Sue

#15 Steven Broomfield

Steven Broomfield

General

• Old Sweats
  • 13,788 posts
  • Interests:10th Royal Hussars (PWO), 11th Hussars (PAO), The Royal Hussars (PWO), The King's Royal Hussars

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:27 PM

I am happy to be corrected, but I believe "we pedants" is the correct construct. "Us pedants" (the alternative, I suppose) sounds rather oikish.

#16 David Faulder

David Faulder

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,980 posts
  • Interests:3rd, 1/4th, 14th Battalions York and Lancaster Regiment

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

I was approached by the writer of the book which will accompany the series, for permission to use a dozen lines or so from something I've written, so feel totally confident that at least one paragraph will be correct :lol:

Sue

Wait until you see it in context!

#17 Jonathan Saunders

Jonathan Saunders

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:01 PM

I think we shall also find out that several members of the GWF appear in the next series in khaki. No names, no pack-drill!

#18 Sue Light

Sue Light

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:17 PM

Wait until you see it in context!

:w00t:

#19 Liz in Eastbourne

Liz in Eastbourne

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:54 PM

I am happy to be corrected, but I believe "we pedants" is the correct construct. "Us pedants" (the alternative, I suppose) sounds rather oikish.

Hi Steven
I was going to send you a pm, but your box is full, no doubt of pms from us pedants telling you when to use the subject and object forms of pronouns....

Liz

#20 Andrew Upton

Andrew Upton

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,456 posts
  • Interests:Collecting the uniforms, arms, accoutrements and medals primarily of the Commonwealth countries from WW1, as well as being a member of the Great War living history group The Vickers Machine Gunners Society 1914-45. Looking for anything militarily related to the names of COSST, DENSLEY, DUREPAIRE, SHOPLAND and UPTON.

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:30 PM

I think we shall also find out that several members of the GWF appear in the next series in khaki.

Many times... many many times! :innocent: :devilgrin:

#21 Roger H

Roger H

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,402 posts
  • Interests:311th Brigade RFA. The salient from Boezinge to Ploegsteert and the Arras area. Moseley Rugby Club. British real ale and Belgian Beer.

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:33 PM

My view is let's enjoy Downton Abbey for what it is - a TV drama, not a documentary on WW1.

Roger

#22 Malcolm

Malcolm

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

Good Lord, Mr Broomfield, nobody would dare call us oiks surely.
Aye
Malcolm :thumbsup:

#23 Piorun

Piorun

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,539 posts
  • Interests:Rugby football, golf, family research, military history, Scotch whisky, Polish vodka.

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:35 AM

The interview was clearly about the British context. Richard Bacon interviewed other members of the cast and had walked through the building past all the bandaged men in khaki. They were of course filming the second series. What annoyed me about this is that if you visit a large number of village war memorials what is striking is the lack of names not the number. For example my birth village in the West Country had 78 men and three nurses who served but only six deaths.

Alan: Forgive an old colonial but I still don't understand. Until May last year, I had lived in Canada for 44 years (of my . . . . . . considerably more!). Since returning, I believe that I've heard of this programme but I'm not sure that it's shown in Scotland. Do I glean from your post immediately following my query that the lady was referring to the male population of English villages being wiped out by the misfortune of the War? If so, assuming that some males were babes in arms and some were in their second childhood, the comment would be literally inaccurate. However, in the context of the socio-economic viability of the village at the time, it probably wasn't too far off the mark, especially in some parts of Scotland, and should hardly be a target for even us pedants. Your further clarification would be appreciated. Yours, Antony

#24 Stephen Nulty

Stephen Nulty

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,277 posts
  • Interests:The History of Prescot

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

My view is let's enjoy Downton Abbey for what it is - a TV drama, not a documentary on WW1.

Roger

Exactly.

#25 Alan Tucker

Alan Tucker

Brigadier-General

• R.I.P.
  • 1,989 posts
    Devonshire Regiment

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:30 AM

Were Scottish villages more badly affected than English ones? She was obviously not referring to the entire male population of villages. My basic point remains - the paucity of names on English war memorials is not in keeping with the scale of slaughter image that we were brought up on so to say 'villages were wiped out' is perpetuating a myth. The small relative number of names in country villages would have had little impact on the 'social and economic viability' of a village - whatever that means.

Three examples from my personal knowledge...

Langford Budville, Somerset - 6 names from an 1891 total population of 340
Milverton, Somerset - 30 names from 1562 in 1891
Henley in Arden, Warwickshire - 20 names from 1043

Alan: Forgive an old colonial but I still don't understand. Until May last year, I had lived in Canada for 44 years (of my . . . . . . considerably more!). Since returning, I believe that I've heard of this programme but I'm not sure that it's shown in Scotland. Do I glean from your post immediately following my query that the lady was referring to the male population of English villages being wiped out by the misfortune of the War? If so, assuming that some males were babes in arms and some were in their second childhood, the comment would be literally inaccurate. However, in the context of the socio-economic viability of the village at the time, it probably wasn't too far off the mark, especially in some parts of Scotland, and should hardly be a target for even us pedants. Your further clarification would be appreciated. Yours, Antony