#1 TParker96

TParker96

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Family History

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

Hi,

After recently coming into contact with another relative who is also been doing the family tree, i have discovered that one of my relatives called John William Smith (Johann Wilhelm Schmidt) who was born in 1843 from Bavaria, Germany, was under house arrest during WW1 and had to spend two weeks at an interment camp at Alexandra Palace. After explaining to them that he had three sons fighting in the war and that he had already been living in England for around 50 years (came to England in 1860's) they decided that he wouldn't be a threat to the country so they let him go and he returned home. Unfortunatly the family had to destroy all of their papers and records to do with the German link in order to stop any of them being interneed later on (during WW2).

Is there any records which survive which might be able to help me get more information about his time being at Alexandra Palace and would there be any records which survive about him being arrested at all?

Thanks
Tom

#2 CarylW

CarylW

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,253 posts
  • Interests:East Yorkshire Regiment, Birkenhead 1914-1918, Medical services. War medicine and surgery. Salonika & the Eastern Front. Mt. Everest. Mallory & Irvine. Book addict. Non-expert

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:26 PM

Tom

It's possible his case might have been mentioned in the local paper. I came across a case where 8 German men, all named, were brought up before the Borough Police Court in our local newspaper at the start of the war. Quote from the article: "..charged on remand, as alien enemies, not provided with a residence permit with having unlawfully continued to reside ....."

Caryl

#3 Doug Johnson

Doug Johnson

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Gustrow

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:46 PM

Tom,

An Insight into civilian Internment in Britain During WW1; From the diary of Richard Hoschke and a short essay by Rudolf Rocker; Anglo-German Family History Society; 1998
would probably be worth buying as Richard Hoschke was held at Alexandra Palace. The A-G FHS have a web site and may be worth contacting (the book can be purchased on line - it is a thin book so don't expect a lot)

Doug

PS I checked the index of FO383 which deals with German PoWs in Britain and overseas and whilst there are several mentions of people called Schmidt there are none named John William. (PoW = internee during WW1)

#4 CarylW

CarylW

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,253 posts
  • Interests:East Yorkshire Regiment, Birkenhead 1914-1918, Medical services. War medicine and surgery. Salonika & the Eastern Front. Mt. Everest. Mallory & Irvine. Book addict. Non-expert

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:02 PM

Tom

This book might be of interest to you if you haven't read it already. Freely available online at archive.org
German Prisoners in Great Britan

http://www.archive.o...prisoners00bolt

Ihe life of German prisoners at Domington Hall, Alexandra Palace and other prison camps

Caryl

#5 TParker96

TParker96

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Family History

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:47 AM

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice and information given. It has helped me understand what he must have been going through.

Tom