Remembered Today:

Photo

Any fellow North/South Staffordshire Regiment enthusiasts here?

42 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Simner

Mark Simner

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:The North and South Staffordshire Regiments during the Great War 1914-18.

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:13 PM

Hi All

As a few of you will already know I am an enthusiast of both the North Staffordshire Regiment and the South Staffordshire Regiment - particulary the latter. I was wondering if any other GWF members had a particular interest in either or both of these regiments?

My interest was originally sparked by the fact I have family ancestors who served with the South Staffords during the First World War - although I have found another who served in the Egyptian campaign of 1882. What was it that got you interested in these regiments?

Mark

#2 RoyEvans

RoyEvans

Brigadier-General

• Admin
  • 2,739 posts
  • Interests:South Staffordshire Regiment in WW1

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:27 PM

The South Staffs Pals for several!

Meeting every month in Wolves.

Roy

#3 Chris_Baker

Chris_Baker

General

• Old Sweat
  • 13,471 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

I'm a 1st South Staffords fan. Reason being I began my drinking at the King's Head in Lichfield, where the regiment began in the 1700s. (Peter Hart - are you reading - I am sure you will be proud of me!)

#4 Mark Simner

Mark Simner

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:The North and South Staffordshire Regiments during the Great War 1914-18.

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

Hi Guys

Please to hear from you :) Roy, I think we have spoken before ;)

Both Wolverhapton and Lichfield are local to me living in Walsall.

Mark

#5 Doug Lewis

Doug Lewis

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:6th Btn South Staffordshire Regiment, 46th (North Midland) Division

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:01 PM

Hi Mark
I'm interested in the South Staffords, because I was born in South Staffordshire and it is my county regiment but mainly because my Great Grandad and three Great Uncles served with them in the the war, two Uncles not returning. Also my Grandad served with them in the second world war.

Regards Doug

#6 Mark Simner

Mark Simner

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:04 PM

Hi Doug

Pleased to hear from you :) Seems there are quite a few "Staffies" here.

Mark

#7 purley

purley

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:17 PM

Hi All

As a few of you will already know I am an enthusiast of both the North Staffordshire Regiment and the South Staffordshire Regiment - particulary the latter. I was wondering if any other GWF members had a particular interest in either or both of these regiments?

Mark

my interest is with the Royal Berks Regiment and have an interest in 242 ORs and 7 Officers from the 7th North Staffs who transferred to the 7th R Berks 17th June 1919 getting R Berks numbers 54641 to 54894. A second batch transferred on the 19th and 22nd becoming R Berks 56101 to 56128 Another man who does not seem to have been given a R Berks number also transferred - he was 29929 Pte T H Hughes who was drowned off Haida Pasha but according to the CWGC was buried under his N Staffs number, even though he was serving with the R Berks. I would be interested in making contact with anyone who knows about the 7th N Staffs in this period.

regards

John

#8 Mark Simner

Mark Simner

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

Hi John

I do not know too much about the 7/NSR but I do own a very nice DCM group to an NCO of the Battalion who won his DCM for the Battle of Baku (aka Battle of the Dirty Volcano). I also have an orginal copy of the official history of the Battalion but, as yet, haven't read it.

My main interest in the North Staffords is in the 2nd Battalion and their involvement in the Third Anglo-Afghan War of 1919. My avatar picture is Lieutenant Stroud who was the bombing officer of the 2nd Battalion during the 1919 campaign. I currently have his medal group which includes an MBE.

Mark

#9 RoyEvans

RoyEvans

Brigadier-General

• Admin
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:41 PM

Hi Guys

Please to hear from you :) Roy, I think we have spoken before ;)

Both Wolverhapton and Lichfield are local to me living in Walsall.

Mark

Mark,

If you're ever able to come to one of our meetings (see Forum Pals section) you'll meet both North & South Staffs enthusiasts.

Same invite applies of course to C.B. and anyone else.

Roy

#10 Mark Simner

Mark Simner

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

Cheers, Roy! I will take a look and most likely pop along to one of your meetings :)

Mark

#11 Dawleyjockey

Dawleyjockey

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 738 posts
  • Interests:The Soldiers from Dawley - The South Staffordshire Regt - 46th North Midland Division - Wolves F.C

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

Having been born in Wolverhampton, I have always had an interest in the South Staffs mainly the 6th Battalion but also the 8th Service battalion. Having said that any South Staffs battalion is of interest and also North Staffs who served in the 46th North Midland Division.
Dave

#12 Mark Simner

Mark Simner

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:50 PM

Hi Dave

I also have an special interest in the 1/6th Battalion as an ancestor of mine was KIA with it during the attack on the Hohenzollern Redount on the 13th October 1915. Along with the 6th I am also, naturally, interested in the 1/5th who were also present at the infamous action.

Mark

#13 Dawleyjockey

Dawleyjockey

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 738 posts
  • Interests:The Soldiers from Dawley - The South Staffordshire Regt - 46th North Midland Division - Wolves F.C

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

Mark,
One of the first medal groups that I bought was for a 1/6th South Staffs KIA at the Hohenzollern redoubt on the 13th October 1915, a black day for the South Staffs and the North Midland Division.
Dave

Nearly forgot to add I am also a member of the South Staffs pals so would look forward to meeting you at one of our get togethers. (Next one Tues 2nd Aug)

#14 Mark Simner

Mark Simner

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:06 PM

Hi Dave

I have two Hohenzollern KIA groups to the 1/6th and a third to the 1/5th. Sadly the whereabouts of the one to my ancestor is unknown :(

A black day indeed.

Mark

#15 NigelP

NigelP

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:The North & South Staffordshire Regiments and The Staffordshire Yeomanry.

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:33 PM

Hi Mark  we've spoken elsewhere.  My first interest is the North Staffs but I'm also interested in the South Staffs and the unit that tends to get overlooked a bit - The Staffordshire Yeomanry.

Nigel

#16 Hebburn Jon

Hebburn Jon

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Medals to Whitehouse

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:27 AM

Hi Mark

As you know im another Staffs fan

Regards
Jon

#17 Campbell21

Campbell21

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:26 PM

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me re my great uncle who was in the North Staffordshire reg. His name was Stanley Currie Allan Reg number 48151.
I am trying to find out why he got a Silver War Badge (SWB F/A/532). He survived the war to become a foreign correspondent but suffered ill health from being gased.

Thanks Lorna xxx

#18 von Smallhausen

von Smallhausen

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:WWI in general. Collector of Orders, medals. Continually researching WWI in South West Flanders

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

Hello N/S Staffs enthusiasts,
Is there anyone out there who can help me for a scan out of their Regimental History. I'm interested in the 12/ North Staffs on 8-9-10 and 11 november 1918.
Kind regards and thanks from Flanders,
Jef

#19 GrahamC

GrahamC

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,052 posts
  • Interests:1st Battalion, Cheshire Regiment
    Buxton area War Memorials
    Ruskington, Lincs. War Memorial

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

Hi guys

If any of you can help I'm looking for War Diary / History extracts for four South Staffs men on my local (Buxton) Memorial for the period around their deaths.

For those d.o.w. any advice on when and where they might have received their wounds would be appreciated. These are:

2nd Battalion

Pt. 20552 Percy A. STREET, 16 August 1917 – Died of wounds

Pt. 17414 Samuel W. STREET, 03 May 1917 – Died of wounds

Pt. 28527 Francis Charles WILLIAMS, 17 February 1917 – Killed in Action

10th Battalion

L/Cpl. 7330 Charles Henry SMITH, - 16 August 1917 – Died of wounds

Many thanks for looking
Graham

#20 RoyEvans

RoyEvans

Brigadier-General

• Admin
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Sadly none of them is mentioned by name in the war diaries, I'll look-up the relevant pages for the dates in question later if nobody else does so before then.

BTW L/C 7330 C H Smith was in the 7th Batt'n. when he died.

Roy

#21 SgtGrumpy

SgtGrumpy

Corporal

• Members2
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:The History of men/women from the Black Country who served in the Great War

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:58 PM

Hi Mark,

Another Mark here and collecting medals to men from Walsall, my home town so I obviously have an interest in the south staffs, 5th in particular.

My great great uncle Edwin Oakley was KIA with the 2nd south staffs in 1917 and would love to find his medals.

Best wishes

Mark

#22 Graeme Clarke

Graeme Clarke

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:35 AM

Attached File  oakley e 2.jpg   26.99KB   2 downloads

#23 SgtGrumpy

SgtGrumpy

Corporal

• Members2
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:The History of men/women from the Black Country who served in the Great War

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

Hi Graeme, that's a lovely picture you have there of uncle Edwin, was that from the Observer?

Do you have one of my other uncle, Frank Platt who was gassed in the war, I believe he has a mention, and if anybody has his medals would be very interested.

I believe he served in the Artillery.

Thanks Mark

#24 Graeme Clarke

Graeme Clarke

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

Hi

No from the Pioneer. I have the Observer one if you want it.

Theres a photo of a JACK Platt who was gassed from New Street, Walsall but not one of a Frank Platt in either newspapers.

Regards,

Graeme

#25 SgtGrumpy

SgtGrumpy

Corporal

• Members2
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

Hi Graeme

My mistake, Jack was who I was looking for, Frank was his brother and yes they lived in New Street, if you have Jacks Photo that would be fantastic.

Their other brother was Victor, he was my great grandfather who I believe served in the RAF, if he has a mention would you let me know and I will have to get down to Essex Street Again.

Thanks Mark