Photo

Insignia 65th Division ?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Lachlan

Lachlan

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:My family, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian, Indonesia, Singapore and Philippines, cooking, Great War detective work, 9th Scottish Div, 51st Highland Div, 65th Lowland Div

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

Dear All

Did the 65th (2nd Lowland) Division wear any identifying insignia on uniforms or helmets during its existence ?

If so, is it known if the 2/7th Royal Scots wore any insignia ?

BTW, would the 2/7th's brass shoulder titles say "T7RS" ?

#2 john gregory

john gregory

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,190 posts
  • Interests:5th Battalion Notts & Derby,

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:49 PM

I cannot find any insignia to them also I do'nt think the 65th Lowland went overseas.

#3 Tom A McCluskey

Tom A McCluskey

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

Lachlan,

The Royal Scots used ‘Royal Scots’ as their shoulder title until after the War. A Royal Scots Territorial Force battalion's shoulder title would look like something like this configuration:

T
ROYAL SCOTS

It is likely that later in the war the ‘T’ and the ‘7’ would be dropped.

Reference patches, these tended to be ‘battle patches/insignia’ and I don’t recall any reference to the 65th Division wearing any, plus this division did not see active service.

I hope this is of use.

Aye,

Tom McC

#4 Lachlan

Lachlan

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:My family, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian, Indonesia, Singapore and Philippines, cooking, Great War detective work, 9th Scottish Div, 51st Highland Div, 65th Lowland Div

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:00 AM

Lachlan,

The Royal Scots used 'Royal Scots' as their shoulder title until after the War. A Royal Scots Territorial Force battalion's shoulder title would look like something like this configuration:

T
ROYAL SCOTS

It is likely that later in the war the 'T' and the '7' would be dropped.

Reference patches, these tended to be 'battle patches/insignia' and I don't recall any reference to the 65th Division wearing any, plus this division did not see active service.

I hope this is of use.

Aye,

Tom McC

Thanks. Indeed my Granddad was based in Scotland, then Chelmsford, Essex, then Ireland. Interestingly enough, a photo of him in Widford Camp, Chelmsford (1916) show him wearing the Imperial Service badge. I presume he was never needed to go to the front !