8 replies to this topic

#1 Rovert

Rovert

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Family History

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

I am aware that Fromelles is regarded as VC corner but I have a transcribed fragment of a soldiers diary dated 3rd October 1918 that refers to Lestrem as being VC corner. The villages are about 9k apart, does anyone else have knowledge of this, or were they regarded as one and the same place for the title of VC corner?

#2 Nigel Cave

Nigel Cave

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:30 AM

I am aware that Fromelles is regarded as VC corner but I have a transcribed fragment of a soldiers diary dated 3rd October 1918 that refers to Lestrem as being VC corner. The villages are about 9k apart, does anyone else have knowledge of this, or were they regarded as one and the same place for the title of VC corner?

Since I am in the middle of a (somewhat traumatic) move within the building I cannot lay my hands on my books, but VC Corner, as memory serves, just refers to a place on the trench map and thus duplications elsewhere would not be unusual - for example there were several Windy Corners.

#3 RogerShephard

RogerShephard

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Researching the NZEF on the Western Front for research guide book.

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:32 PM

Hi Rovert

I am just about to head of to work, but i have a feeling that VC corner was the cross road just on the other side of Le Trou Aid post Cemetery - just looking at google earth the intersection of D171 & D175.
There was also a trench called VC Trench? or the like that ran from near Rue Du Bois Cemetery across to the stream near VC Corner Cemetery.

I will try and dig out a trench map tonight and confirm.

Cheers roger

#4 Rovert

Rovert

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:47 AM

Thank you for your replies. I await further information when you get time. Rovert

#5 Gully Ravine

Gully Ravine

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 249 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:27 PM

Think Roger was pretty much spot on, there is a VC Avenue pretty close by VC Corner in that area ... see attached. Approx 50 37.56N, 2 49,124E in Google Earth? Keith

Attached Files

#6 Rovert

Rovert

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:07 AM

Thank you Keith. That makes it about 11K from Lestrem and 3.5K from Fromelles. Rather to far away to give Lestrem the title of VC corner.
Rovert.

#7 RogerShephard

RogerShephard

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Researching the NZEF on the Western Front for research guide book.

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:51 AM

Thats the map i was going to try and find - but my internet and phone line had a day off yesterday so could not post anything...
thanks roger

#8 Gully Ravine

Gully Ravine

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

Sorry Roger - didn't mean to step on your toes. Coincidentally was there about 2 weeks ago and had the map location to hand. Keith

#9 Rovert

Rovert

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:12 PM

Thank you Roger and Keith for your help. Rovert

Sorry Roger - didn't mean to step on your toes. Coincidentally was there about 2 weeks ago and had the map location to hand. Keith