Hull Zeppelin raids casualty list

7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris CPGW

Chris CPGW

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:20 PM

Can any one direct me to where I might find the names of the fatalities of the Hull Zeppelin raids ?

Regards
Chris

#2 Bardess

Bardess

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,892 posts
  • Interests:Smethwick RoH
    Casualty Lists
    IFCP

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:54 AM

Hi Chris

There are dates and numbers of casualties here with a link to the Hull Local Studies Library. Perhaps an email to them might prove fruitful?

#3 Chris CPGW

Chris CPGW

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

Thanks Diane, I had come across this site in my searches, but I've now gone back to them and will contact Hull library to see if there is anything in there newspaper archive .

Kindest Regards
Chris

#4 MargeH

MargeH

Private

• Members2
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:36 PM

Chris

I have tried to do some research on this. I thought it would be well documented, but found it strangely "underplayed" in the local press. Whether this was down to a propagandist / morale boosting effort by the newspapers I read, I don't know. Either way, this is the entry I found in 2 papers relating to the inquests - I only copied details which I believe relate to my great great uncle's 3 daughters who were all killed.

Hull Daily Mail Wednesday 08 March 1916 and Hull Times 11 March 1916

Some tragic narratives were related at inquests in areas visited by Zeppelins on Tuesday on six men, four women, and five children.

The Coroner said he was presuming the deaths of all the parties was due to the atrocious air raid which took place in the early hours of the previous day.

3 Sisters

The next inquiry was into the death of one of 3 sisters aged 28. Witness, a police officer, said that the father of the girls was not able to attend. He was cut about the head. He had gone to bed, and later one of the daughters told him "The Zeppelins are here". The daughter got to the stairs within a second or so of leaving her father when the crash came. The house was absolutely wrecked. The father discovered two of his daughters lying on the ground fatally injured. Another was found dead. The front of the house was blown out by the force of the explosion.

The 3 sisters were Martha Rebecca Ingamells aged 36, Ethel Mary Ingamells aged 33, and Lottie Ingamells aged 28.

I seem to remember that there was a family of a mother and several of her chlldren killed as well. If you contact the History Centre and ask for the entries dated as above, you will get the same as I found at least. There was a dearth of names of the victims in the articles, and I did not find out where they were buried. My 3 cousins were not buried with the rest of their family in Hedon Cemetery, so I don't know if there was a joint funeral with the other victims and they were buried together. I only had a short time in Hull, so couldn't get into it too deeply and haven't managed to get back.

If you go onto FreeBMD for Hull for the March quarter of 1916, you will see 2 clumps of deaths of people with the same surname - one of which are my 3.

#5 Andrew Carrick

Andrew Carrick

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

The Ingamells were relatives of mine. They lived on Linnaeus Street.

#6 Hullwebs

Hullwebs

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

Contact the Hull People's Memorial Exhibition Centre.  They have what is probably the most complete list.

#7 joseph

joseph

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 4,254 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:28 AM

I have a complete list of killed and wounded anyone want one PM me.

Regards Charles

#8 SazM

SazM

Private

• Members2
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

Hi Charles, I will PM you. I would really like a complete list for a school project I am working on.

Thanks

Sarah