West Lancashire Divisional Artillery

12 replies to this topic

#1 daggers

daggers

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:51 AM

The Division's artillery was 1st, 2nd 3rd & 4th (H) West Lancs Brigades, RFA, TF. There were no war diaries before embarkation, but I am trying to trace where 3rd Bde in particular were before thier embarkation for France in October 1915.
I have seen that 4th WL Brigade were near Sevenoaks in Kent in October '14, and then near Canterbury, but its history is silent as to its sister-units and as to what went on in the summer of 1915.
Any clues would be welcome.

Daggers

#2 slmgc

slmgc

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:South Lancs Regiment and or anything else related to St.Helens men in WW1.

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:22 PM

Hi,
little bit for you from the 1st WL Brigade diary -
10th September 1915 brigade left comfortable billets in Ash and Eastry, to occupy hutments on the outskirts of Canterbury.
28th September entrained for Southampton.
Regards,
Ste

#3 daggers

daggers

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:28 PM

Ste
Thanks for that - every little helps.

Daggers

#4 Ron Clifton

Ron Clifton

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:42 AM

Hello daggers

As you probably know, the artillery of the West Lancs Division was attached to 2nd Canadian Division for much of 1915. That division conducted most of its higher-level training in and around Shorncliffe. In the context of your specific query, this only gives you "somewhere in Kent" without any firm dates, but it might be worth looking at some of the Canadian histories, or asking the Dept of Printed Books (and possibly also the Dept of Manuscripts, for unpublished diaries etc) what they have on the West Lancs artillery.

Ron

#5 daggers

daggers

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

Ron
Thank you for that. I had not thought that their attachment to the 2nd Canadian Division pre-dated the units' arrival in France, but now see that it makes sense for them to have trained together.

Daggers

#6 Ron Clifton

Ron Clifton

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:20 AM

By pure chance I had at my elbow the volumes of Becke's orders of battle covering both the first-line TF divisions and the Canadians!

2 Can Div does not seem to have received Canadian field artillery until just before they left for France.

Ron

#7 daggers

daggers

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:33 PM

Ron

Thanks again. A spot of extra googling [after the cricket finished early on TV] brought me via tortuous routes to the HQRA 2nd Canadian Division's War Diary from its earliest days in Canada through to its spell in France. This gave me its base at Westenhanger, accounts of training and manoeuvres of the Canadian Artillery units, including firing at West Down and Trawsfynndd [oh, happy days!], as well as some mentions of the West Lancs Artillery, which helps to place them as others have suggested.
As you say, it seems it was a shortage of ordnance which delayed these Canadians' arrival in France.
The main source was the CEFresearch Study Group with links to CollectionsCanada.

That all helps me out considerably.
Daggers

#8 Kevin Keeley

Kevin Keeley

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

The Division's artillery was 1st, 2nd 3rd & 4th (H) West Lancs Brigades, RFA, TF. There were no war diaries before embarkation, but I am trying to trace where 3rd Bde in particular were before thier embarkation for France in October 1915.
I have seen that 4th WL Brigade were near Sevenoaks in Kent in October '14, and then near Canterbury, but its history is silent as to its sister-units and as to what went on in the summer of 1915.
Any clues would be welcome.

Daggers

Daggers, my father was with 3rd Bde West Lancs and I have a rather battered photograph of him in a small group entitled "Duffy's Mounted Foot or The Underground Artillery." Pencilled on the back is "Faversham". I believe he went to France and the 2nd Canadian Division in 1915 so maybe Faversham is where they were. If interested I can let you have a copy of the pic. Have been out of action for most of 2011 after major eye surgery so am very much behind the game at the moment. Kevin KeeleyAttached File  Duffy\'s mounted foot.jpg   55.43KB   7 downloads

#9 Kevin Keeley

Kevin Keeley

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

Daggers, my father was with 3rd Bde West Lancs and I have a rather battered photograph of him in a small group entitled "Duffy's Mounted Foot or The Underground Artillery." Pencilled on the back is "Faversham". I believe he went to France and the 2nd Canadian Division in 1915 so maybe Faversham is where they were. If interested I can let you have a copy of the pic. Have been out of action for most of 2011 after major eye surgery so am very much behind the game at the moment. Kevin KeeleyAttached File  Duffy\'s mounted foot.jpg   55.43KB   7 downloads

Daggers,
Have looked at the photograph and the reverse is written "Mick [my father] and his pals Faversham July 1915." My gfrandmogther's hand so I assume the info and date came from my father who would have been just 17 at the time
Kevin

#10 daggers

daggers

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:02 PM

Kevin
Good to hear from you again.I hope your surgery was effective and that you will soon be 100%.
I will send you a PM with my email address and would be very glad to have a copy of the photo if you can scan it.

I like the humour in the group's titles - why 'underground', I wonder?

Was your father from South Liverpool? 13th Lancashire Battery, aka B Battery, were based at Garston, as I think you know.

#11 Kevin Keeley

Kevin Keeley

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

Daggers,
The family lived in Woolton, I think it was in Quarry Street at the top of Pit Place at the outbreak of war. My grandmother and the two girls moved to 52 Allerton Road in 1916 where one of them, my Aunt Mary lived until her death in 1984. Somehow I had it in my mind that my father enlisted on Lord Derby's estate; obviously not correct but childhood memories of Garston and Earp Street are more sensible. Strange that my siblings [there were eleven of us] have not been at all interested in the family history even with a younger brother in the REs [Major] until a few years ago. Ah, the younger generation. I will get the photograph copied for you asap.
Best wishes
Kevin

#12 graybenham

graybenham

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:25 AM

Hi, I have a photograph of the 3rd Lancs RFA (14th Battery) in Faversham in 1913. Does this have any relevance to this thread?

#13 daggers

daggers

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:34 PM

Hello.  You will find the answer on your new thread.

D