Air Raids in East London

18 replies to this topic

#1 KathyT

KathyT

Corporal

• Members2
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:25 PM

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I am wondering if anyone can help me. I am trying to put together details of what happened in the London Borough of Newham during the Zeppelin and Gotha raids.

What I really want to know is the names of those killed, and the streets that were bombed in the borough, i.e. in the areas of Canning Town, Custom House, East Ham, Forest Gate, Manor Park, North Woolwich, Plaistow, Silvertown, Stratford, The Royal Docks, West Ham.

I have got hold of the two books by Ian Castle: London 1914-17 The Zeppelin Menace; and London 1917-18 The Bomber Blitz. These books have been really useful and from them I have been able to work out the dates of the raids that I am interested in, which are:

17/18 Aug 1915 - Wanstead Flats, opp Dames Road and other locations on Wanstead Flats Windows broken in 73 houses in the Dames Road area.

23/24 Sept 1916 - Marshgate Lane & Carpenters Road. Stratford. The final bombs caused severe damage to a match factory and the depot of an oil company

13th June 1917 - Stratford, East Ham, Royal Docks - 2 of the bombs fell in Alexandra Road damaging 42 houses, killing 4 and injuring 11. Another bomb fell on Royal Albert Dock killing 8 dock workers, and damaging buildings, vehicles and a railway truck.

4/5 Sept 1917 - Stratford and Wanstead Flats - Messrs Wm Ritchie former jute factory, used a internment camp until June 1917 was bombed at 23:25 on 4 Sept. A few bombs on Wanstead Flats or Park 23.55

19/20 May 1918 - Manor Park, Forest Gate, Stratford, West Ham, East Ham, Plaistow, Canning Town, East Ham. Grange Road Board School damaged. Leo Grogan, aged 7, killed 12 Ladysmith Road, Canning Town.

I have checked with the LB Newham Archives dept but the do not have a bomb list for WW1. Before I look through the local newspapers I thought I would see if anyone on this forum might know if such a list existed elsewhere.

Kathy

#2 Rif Brig

Rif Brig

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:00 PM

Hi Kathy,

Not sure if you have tried this website:

http://www.newhamstory.com/

My grandfather and uncle worked in the Royal Docks and my mum has told me many stories about the blitz during the second world war.

Hope this helps,

Mark

#3 Jim_Grundy

Jim_Grundy

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 651 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:36 AM

Kathy

Whilst it does not include a list of casulaties, Frank Morison's 1937 work, "War on Great Cities", gives full details of the properties that were hit during the raids on London.

Sadly, it's not easily obtained these days. If you can't trace a copy (the cheapest I can find is around 33 on www.bookfinder.com), let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Regards,

Jim

#4 Kevin Bush

Kevin Bush

Private

• Members2
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

My Great Grand-Mother Christina Mary Vasil & her son George were killed in one of the houses bombed in Alexandra Rd. One daughter at home at the time was injured but the other my Grandmother was at the nearby school.

#5 hesmond

hesmond

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,074 posts
  • Interests:Great War in general ,collector 40+ years battlefield exploreing over 40 years collecting photo albums ,paper work, diarys letters and medals . General intrest Pas de Calais,and Northern France, Grandfather served 4th Hussars Grandad Joseph Ashley 1914/15 along side his brother .Exploring Normandy ,Agincourt ,Crecy, battlefields far and wide and discovering all aspects of Pas De Calais

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

As a ex East Ender all ways been intrested in this subject , my nan remberd the North St School and my aunt was a pupil at the time , in the 1960s i rember the plaque on the Black Swan public hose oppitse Bromley-by Bow Church the pub was destroyed by enemy action 1916 , its worth going to the Local History Libary by Queen Mary College in Mile End , they are superb and very helpfull ,also the After The Battle Book on the East End .

#6 TJJ

TJJ

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

The match factory mentioned in the Sept 1916 raid was probably the Bryant & May works, which is now apartments (Bow Quarter) situated north of the Bow Flyover. Marshgate Lane is about mid way between there and Carpenters Road.

The factory was famous for the 'Match Girls' Strike' in 1888.

#7 TonyE

TonyE

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,583 posts
  • Interests:British military Small Arms and ammunition.

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

Get a copy of the Official History of the War in the Air Volume V (available as a reprint by Naval & Military Press). Lots of details of the raids including lists of houses/streets hit in each raid and casualties in each street.

Regards
TonyE

#8 hesmond

hesmond

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,074 posts
  • Interests:Great War in general ,collector 40+ years battlefield exploreing over 40 years collecting photo albums ,paper work, diarys letters and medals . General intrest Pas de Calais,and Northern France, Grandfather served 4th Hussars Grandad Joseph Ashley 1914/15 along side his brother .Exploring Normandy ,Agincourt ,Crecy, battlefields far and wide and discovering all aspects of Pas De Calais

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

It may also be worth contacting the Fire Brigade archive /museum in Victoria ,they will have copys of the Fire Brigade reports and also the Standard Telegraph system used at the time to report insistances of raids and fires , also if passing the old St Leonards St Fire station is still in existance ,now used as a document archive ,it has a super plaque outside ,also if in the area visit the site of the North St School bombing and the memorial ,it was from St Leonards St that the engines went to Old Ford ect .

#9 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

Kathy,
Welcome to the Forum.

The German Air Raids of June 1917 caused much death and destruction to the East End of London, one of the worst incidents was the bombing of the Upper North Street School in Poplar, in which 18 children were killed.
Their funeral was held on 20th June, 1917, with 15 of the children being buried in one mass grave, and 3 were buried in private graves.
A Memorial to the children was erected in the Poplar Recreation Ground in June 1919.
Here are some photographs of the damage caused by the air raid, the funeral of the children, and their memorial in Poplar.

Regards,
Leo

Attached Files

#10 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

The Childern's funeral held in Poplar, Wednesday, 20th June, 1917.

Attached Files

#11 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

Unveiling of the Upper North Street School Memorial, Poplar, June 1919.
Memorial dedication :-

"In memory of 18 children who were killed by a bomb
dropped from a German Aeroplane upon the L.C.C. School,
Upper North Street, on 13th June, 1917."

Louise Annie Acampora (5)
Alfred Ernest Batt (5)
Leonard Charles Barford (5)
John Percy Brennan (5)
William Thomas Henry Challen (4)
Alice Maud Cross (5)
William Hollis (5)
George Albert Hyde (5)
Grace Jones (5)
Rose Martin (11)
George Morris (6)
Edwin Cecil William Powell (12)
Robert Stimson (5)
Elizabeth Taylor (5)
Rose Tuffin (5)
Frank Winfield (5)

Attached Files

#12 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

Poplar Upper North Street School Memorial - details -

Attached Files

#13 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

German air raid on Poplar - Funeral of children killed in the Upper North Street School bombing -

Attached Files

#14 SWET59

SWET59

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

Hi Kathy,
You may be interested in the extract from my website concerning the raid of the 17th/18th August 1915. As you can see it's still WiP, but I do have a bit of background info and always willing to help.

Posted Image

By Evil Chance

The Air Raid on Leyton August 17th/18th August 1915

Sorry this is still Work in Progress

This is the story of the raid on the Leyton area on the night of the 17th/18th August 1915. The raid left 10 people dead and many more injured. Due to the heavy level of censorship at the time, the official Government announcement referred only to
Zeppelins visited Eastern Counties last night and dropped bombs ......
The following casualties have been reported:-

Killed 7 Men 2 Women 1 Child

All the above were civilians.”
Yes, they were civilians and their names were Moses Mayer, Edith Grace Lawrence, David Reginald Smith, James Frederick Ebbs, Herbert George Hamilton, Thomas H Pells, Amelia Pells, Edith M Pells, Philip Osborne and Joseph Edwin Hollington.
The Zeppelin (LZ40) was the Reichskriegsmarine’s Zeppelin L10 commanded by Oberleutant-zur-See Friedrich Wenke.

Regards
Peter

#15 Black Sapper

Black Sapper

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, Sailing, Retired life in the Caribbean.
    Family Tree research & "one surname KINGDON/KINGDOM military research throughout history"

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

Here's another link to the index from The Great War Magazine - it is on Ancestry.
Under Air Raids there's a load of references, but you'll need to go search in the volumes (& that's not easy)?

http://search.ancest...80&iid=00000001

#16 simon@ech.org.uk

simon@ech.org.uk

Private

• Members2
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

Hello all,

I am running a heritage project on the interment camp in Stratford and of Germans living in East London. I was particularly curious about the bomb on the Stratford Camp. Does anyone have more references to this?Lancashire Fusilier, I was also curious as to where your photos of the bombs on Poplar are from? I would be much appreciative if I could use them in our exhibition to illustrate the effect of the war to those living in East London, and they are such touching images.

Regards,

Simon

#17 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

photos of the bombs on Poplar are from? I would be much appreciative if I could use them in our exhibition to illustrate the effect of the war to those living in East London, and they are such touching images.

Regards,

Simon

Simon,

Welcome to the Forum, and I have sent you a PM regarding the photos.

Regards,

LF

#18 Aspern

Aspern

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

Hi Simon

I think I may have something on Stratford. Let me have a hunt around and I'll see what I have.

#19 Aspern

Aspern

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

Hi Simon

As promised, here is what I have on the Stratford bomb.

Tuesday 4th September 1917. The first night-time raid on London by Gotha bombers.

The bomb dropped on Stratford was amongst the batch dropped by the first Gotha to reach London that night and the bombed is times at around 11.25pm. It struck a vacant factory, formerly occupied by Messrs. Wm. Ritchie, Jute Spinners and Weavers, in Carpenters Road. The factory had been vacant since 1904 but had more recently been put into use as a German internment camp, although it ceased to be used as such in June 1917, so was empty at the time of the raid. The damage to the factory seems to have been mainly the smashing of the glass roof. However, if it had still been used as a camp the casualties may well have been high. Only the previous night a bomb dropped through the glass roof of a drill hall at Chatham,used as a dormotory for naval ratings and the blast killed 132 and injured many more, the injuries caused by flying glass.

I used a photo of the inside of the factory after the bomb blast in my book, "London 1917-18: The Bomber Blitz". The photo is copyright of the Imperial War Museum. 

Interestingly there is a little bit about the Stratford internment camp in Richard van Emden's book, "Meeting the Enemy". If you are interested I can post a section here. Let me know.