Photo

1st WW Helmet, British or US ?

36 replies to this topic

#26 Steven Broomfield

Steven Broomfield

General

• Old Sweats
  • 14,079 posts
  • Interests:10th Royal Hussars (PWO), 11th Hussars (PAO), The Royal Hussars (PWO), The King's Royal Hussars

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

Out of interest, why is the abbreviation for Congressional medal of Honour "CMO"? I'd have assumed CMH.

#27 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

Out of interest, why is the abbreviation for Congressional medal of Honour "CMO"? I'd have assumed CMH.

Steve,

That must be a typing error, as I can see no references to CMO as being the official abbreviation for the Congressional Medal of Honour, I have only seen CMH and CMOH.
I shall edit the post.
Regards,
Leo

#28 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,005 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

I'm glad the helmet looks good. I got it for a very good price, but not being a militaria collector per se, I always like to get a second (or third!) opinion. I'll put it on a stand next to my M1 (which I also got for a very good price!).

-Daniel

PS here are some pictures my grandfather took from the deck of the SS Toloa as she sailed through the Panama Canal in 1929:

SS Toloa/SS New Westminster City

#29 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

I'm glad the helmet looks good. I got it for a very good price, but not being a militaria collector per se, I always like to get a second (or third!) opinion. I'll put it on a stand next to my M1 (which I also got for a very good price!).

-Daniel

PS here are some pictures my grandfather took from the deck of the SS Toloa as she sailed through the Panama Canal in 1929:

SS Toloa/SS New Westminster City

It was very interesting to learn of the connection between the SS Toloa, and Major Whittlesey, and to know how he died.
Leo

#30 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:36 PM

I dont think officer. Most US helmets had decals and souvenir / cammo paint finishes applied on the way back to the USA after the Armistice. There was a cottage industry of artists at the French harbours and on the boats home who would paint to order. The EGA was unlikely to have been applied during the war service at the front. I am yet to be made aware of a helmet dug up with the EGA affixed.

This helmet could have been prepped for a Stateside victory parade. Neverthelsee a rare WW1 USMC item.

Regards

TT

TT,
You may be pleased to know that an American WW1 helmet, very similar to your's, same Divisional emblem, same Marine Corps badge affixed, but no liner, is up for sale with a very reputable and knowledgeable US. Dealer for $750 ( 500 pounds ).
" WWI 1ST Battalion 5TH Regiment, 2ND Division Helmet. Lacks liner and chin strap. Not the best one we have ever offered but still a great helmet. $750 ".

Some photographs attached.
Regards,
Leo

Attached Files

#31 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

Attached Files

#32 trenchtrotter

trenchtrotter

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,155 posts
  • Interests:The Western Front (all aspects, all nations). Collecting Great War militaria (uniforms and equipment). Visiting the battlefields (all areas, not just the British areas). Meeting fellow enthusiasts, good beer and French wine! Oh and Daleks!!!

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

LF,

Thanks, saw this on internet.

1. The EGA is actualy different. The one on the website has what is accepted as a true Great War pattern...stubby legs. Mine has what is accepted as a later pattern introduced 1918 /9. Not really an expert but thats what the great internet shows!!!!!???

2. However I am 100% happy with helmet. Nice paint, nice insignia and if faked why choose transport / supply?

3. Paid 200 / 250 (cant remember) from a dealer I know well who would not sell for the first twelve months I saw the item as it was part of his personal collection. Eventually he collapsed after nag nag nag from me!

Personally I love it!

Regards

TT

PS helmet collecting is not for novices...I have seen many part with serious cash and been stung...ebay is not the place to buy (IMHO)

#33 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,005 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

Anyone have any opinions about this helmet?

Posted Image

Supposedly a 77th "Liberty" Division Helmet Shell.

-Daniel

The stamp inside the Liberty Division helmet is Z S 24. I know the Z bit identifies it as an American helmet but what does the rest stand for? I'll post a pic of the stamp shortly.

Daniel

#34 hesmond

hesmond

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:Great War in general ,collector 40+ years battlefield exploreing over 40 years collecting photo albums ,paper work, diarys letters and medals . General intrest Pas de Calais,and Northern France, Grandfather served 4th Hussars Grandad Joseph Ashley 1914/15 along side his brother .Exploring Normandy ,Agincourt ,Crecy, battlefields far and wide and discovering all aspects of Pas De Calais

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

intrestingly my 77th div helmet is exactly as yours the badge appears to have been done by the same hand/artist ,mine though is complete with liner but the condition of shell ect very simlar but as i say the quality of the painted div sign exact and mine was bought more years ago than i would like to rember ,and have never had a problem with it or other collectors that have handled it .

#35 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,005 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

intrestingly my 77th div helmet is exactly as yours the badge appears to have been done by the same hand/artist ,mine though is complete with liner but the condition of shell ect very simlar but as i say the quality of the painted div sign exact and mine was bought more years ago than i would like to rember ,and have never had a problem with it or other collectors that have handled it .

Hi Hesmond,

That I am happy to hear. I wonder if perhaps one fellow with the 77th did a bunch for his pals...who knows. I intend to leave it in exactly the condition in which I received it.

Daniel

#36 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,005 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:35 AM

Here's the stamp on the helmet:

Attached File  Z S 24.jpg   92.54KB   0 downloads

-Daniel

#37 hesmond

hesmond

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:Great War in general ,collector 40+ years battlefield exploreing over 40 years collecting photo albums ,paper work, diarys letters and medals . General intrest Pas de Calais,and Northern France, Grandfather served 4th Hussars Grandad Joseph Ashley 1914/15 along side his brother .Exploring Normandy ,Agincourt ,Crecy, battlefields far and wide and discovering all aspects of Pas De Calais

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

Hi thats exactly my feeling that one man or perhaps just a couple were tasked with putting on the divisional patches ,which would make so much more sense than evey one doing their own and then you can imagin the confusion ! my helmet orginaly came from the states many years ago ,the liner is the orginal liner ,but the rough sand mixed in with paint finish is the same ect .

Regards Gary