5 replies to this topic

#1 MotherMave

MotherMave

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Family History, War Memorials WW1, Nurses WW1,

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:36 PM

Dear Forum, I have an Airman, Edward HUGHES, 246733 R.A.F. Mechanic who died in WW1, but was still serving in 1919 as he signed a Flintshire WW1 Index Card for their Roll of Honour, but his name is on the Cenotaph. He was a Mechanic, so where could he have been where he would have either received wounds or contracted a disease from which he died? I know nothing of the RAF in the 1st World War. Thanking you in anticipation, Mavis

#2 horatio2

horatio2

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:10 PM

What makes you think he died in WW1? Edward Arnold Hughes F.46733 Royal Naval Air Service, later 246733 RAF, is not listed as a WW1 casualty.
Here is his RNAS record:- http://www.nationala...1&resultcount=2

#3 jon_armstrong

jon_armstrong

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 365 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:31 PM

Do you know anything else about him? He could have died after leaving the RAF. Ancestry shows a few Edward Hughes dying between 1919 when you say he was alive and (say) 1923 when the memorial was probably in place. Best guess match would be one who died Q1 1919 aged 35, registered in Holywell, Flintshire.

#4 MotherMave

MotherMave

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:54 PM

Thank you so much to both of you. On the Flintshire WW1 Index Card, the signature is E.A. HUGHES, so Horatio2, you have confirmed him to me as the right one, as his name on the Hawarden War Memorial was Edward and on the Connah's Quay and Shotton Cenotaph he is recorded by only his initial E. The Hawarden one was built first and then the other one later. I suspected that he died later, and I knew it would be before either of the memorials were built, so thank you Jon for finding the death in the Holywell registration district, which Connah's Quay was at the time. Thank you too horatio2 for finding his RNAS Card, he wouldn't have been on the CWGC database as the cut-off time for casualties to be added was 1921, so they told me. Thank you once again, it is greatly appreciated. Mavis

#5 MotherMave

MotherMave

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

Hi Jon, have since found that Edward was born in 1898, so the 1919 death would be the wrong one, but there are other deaths that might fit. I am researching the local cenotaph and I am finding many anomalies. I will have to ring the Registrar, they have been very good to me really, but I don't like putting on good nature. Regards, Mavis

#6 Rockpile

Rockpile

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

Hi Mavis, do you think that this could be 2nd Lieutenant Edward Hughes MC MM?

There is an Edward Hughes MC on the St Ethelwold's school (Shotton) roll of honour, and only one E J Hughes MC on the CWGC site.

I too am researching this war memorial, and will send you a link to my site if you PM me. (I'm not sure whether we are allowed to post urls on the board, so will refrain.)

Regards, Darren Owen.