Shoreham Camp

6 replies to this topic

#1 brian drury

brian drury

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:18 PM

After an enjoyable project researching and recording what I can regarding the 1914 camp that once occupied the land where I now live I have run out of ideas on what to do with the result.

I have created a simple private web site that can be seen here which gives some idea of the material that I have accumulated and a local website owner has promised to include a few pages of this material although that is taking a very long time.

Additionally, I have submitted information on the site to the channel 4 Time Team and they have at least confirmed that I am under consideration although success in getting a programme on the site sounds unlikely.

It would be a shame for the project to end but I don't know who might be interested in pursuing the subject further. Maybe someone here will have an idea?

Ever hopeful

Brian

#2 gunnersdad

gunnersdad

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:190th Brigade RFA
    2nd Btn Rifle Brigade
    DCLI

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

Canít believe itís taken me so long to find your post and web site. My wifeís grandfather was a sergeant in RGA and was posted to Shoreham for a while in 1915. We think he was an instructor at a time they were overwhelmed with recruits. I found quite a lot of info on local web sites but not a detailed map. Ironically one of his grandsons has moved back from Australia and now lives in Lancing.

Great job thanks!

#3 Paul Reed

Paul Reed

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,632 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:26 PM

Brian, also ashamed I didn't see this before. A really interesting study.

#4 brian drury

brian drury

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

I have been asked by West Sussex County Council if I will provide material as a case study of the Shoreham camp for a commemorative website they are working on for launch in 2014. Obviously the material in my simple website is a good starting point but if anyone has anything that could be added I would be very pleased for any help that can be provided. Obviously all sources of material used will be acknowledged when the site is released.

Brian

#5 brian drury

brian drury

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

The link to my Shoreham camp website will soon expire but I have now purchased a domain name for the camp and this is the new link.

#6 Moonraker

Moonraker

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,584 posts
  • Interests:Military Wiltshire 1897-1920.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Looks good, Brian. I like the way you've merged the layout of the camp with the modern street system. Well done.

Moonraker

#7 brian drury

brian drury

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

Looks good, Brian. I like the way you've merged the layout of the camp with the modern street system. Well done.

Moonraker

Thanks Moonraker.

The camp pages have now moved to a new home and will be cared for in future by The Friends of Shoreham Fort. The domain name remains the same.