Serbian Order of the White Eagle

7 replies to this topic

#1 mostyn

mostyn

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

Captain Robert Roberts, master of the Cameronian which was torpedoed and sunk with the loss of all lives on Jun 2nd 1917.
Captain Roberts had been awarded the Serbian Order of the White Eagle with Swords some time between 1914 and 1917.
This medal was conferred for conspicuous bravery of officers in the field as well as for exceptional merit during wartime actions.
HELP WANTED IN FINDING OUT THE REASON FOR THIS AWARD.

#2 horatio2

horatio2

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

One of three Mercantile Marine Captains to receive the same award (Order of the White Eagle 5th Class - no 'Swords') and one of a whole slew of Serbian awards on the same date. Unlikely to be for a specific act but very likely to be part of the widespread 'exchange of awards' between the Allies.

http://www.london-ga...upplements/2112

#3 mostyn

mostyn

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:06 PM

One of three Mercantile Marine Captains to receive the same award (Order of the White Eagle 5th Class - no 'Swords') and one of a whole slew of Serbian awards on the same date. Unlikely to be for a specific act but very likely to be part of the widespread 'exchange of awards' between the Allies.

http://www.london-ga...upplements/2112

Thanks Horatio2 its great to see his name in the London Gazette. However, I still a bit puzzled!
The Tower Hill Memorial says that he was awarded a Class 3 medal; and his photo appears
to show a medal which has cross swords on it! I suppose these things happen, and the Gazette
must be right.

#4 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:37 AM

Mostyn,
I have this card showing the Serbian Order of the White Eagle with crossed swords ( Military Award ).
The card details as follows :-

" Instituted by King Milan Obrenovitch 1 in 1883, to commemorate the restoration of the Kingdom in the preceeding year.
The Order is divided into five classes, all of which are awarded for both civil and military services.
The Badges awarded for military services have crossed swords below the crown, and are worn by Serbians, for war services, with a scarlet watered riband.
A good many British naval and military officers received the Order, for services rendered during the Great War.
A double-headed white eagle is the ancient symbol of Serbia ".

It seems that all 5 classes had crossed swords, if they were awarded for military services. So Captain Roberts could have had the Order Class 3 with swords, due to his being a military service award.

Attached Files

#5 mostyn

mostyn

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:01 PM

Many thanks Lancashire Fusilier, it's good to have a picture of the medal.

Mostyn.

Mostyn,
I have this card showing the Serbian Order of the White Eagle with crossed swords ( Military Award ).
The card details as follows :-

" Instituted by King Milan Obrenovitch 1 in 1883, to commemorate the restoration of the Kingdom in the preceeding year.
The Order is divided into five classes, all of which are awarded for both civil and military services.
The Badges awarded for military services have crossed swords below the crown, and are worn by Serbians, for war services, with a scarlet watered riband.
A good many British naval and military officers received the Order, for services rendered during the Great War.
A double-headed white eagle is the ancient symbol of Serbia ".

It seems that all 5 classes had crossed swords, if they were awarded for military services. So Captain Roberts could have had the Order Class 3 with swords, due to his being a military service award.

#6 Kitchener's Bugle

Kitchener's Bugle

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:11th Battalion (Pals)& 5th Battalion South Lancs.
    War Medals/Collecting - British & Foreign.
    Any Service Personnel from St.Helens. Casualties from St.Helens. Researching individual Soldiers/Families.
    Military Museums/Monuments/Battlefields.

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:57 AM

This is my favourite award of all time! The Crossed swords (Military) was first introduced in 1915.

Serbian awards were often conferred to British Citizens for humanitarian actions i.e doctors or nurses during evacuations or ships who helped out with rescues.

Posted Image

#7 auchonvillerssomme

auchonvillerssomme

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 9,562 posts
  • Interests:First World War in general, Somme specifically. War memorials and losses.

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:59 AM

Can I ask who is the maker of that example?

Mick

#8 Kitchener's Bugle

Kitchener's Bugle

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:11th Battalion (Pals)& 5th Battalion South Lancs.
    War Medals/Collecting - British & Foreign.
    Any Service Personnel from St.Helens. Casualties from St.Helens. Researching individual Soldiers/Families.
    Military Museums/Monuments/Battlefields.

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

Unfortunately Mick that is not mine! - I think it was awarded to a General in the Royal Engineers during WW1 and is in the museum in Chatham. I suspect the maker would be Hugenin Le Loche or Fran Sorlini of Varaždin.
I do however have a superb example of a cased Order of St.Sava - Commanders Neck Badge, also by Hugenin. This is a truely lovely order.
Wish I had the White Eagle to go with it though............

Reply to this topic