Photo

Royal Defence Corps at Bovington / Wool

2 replies to this topic

#1 Charleschandler

Charleschandler

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Researching the history of the parish of Welford, West Berkshire, particularly during the Great War. Produced a record of commemoration for the parish war memorial in 2008 as a member of the history association for Welford and Wickham and am currently setting up a website for the same (www.welford-wickham.co.uk). Also enjoy good pubs, good food and beer, and a good sofa.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:23 AM

Hello all,

Can anyone researching the RDC or perhaps the history of tanks in Dorset tell me whether RDC units were ever employed at Bovington / Wool / the ranges for guard duties, etc?

I know that some units were based not far away at Dorchester due to the presence of the POW camp and that the RDC were often used to guard tank parks. So surely, the nature of what was going on at Bovington would have called for a lot of perimeter duty, guarding tanks etc - just the RDCís kind of thing Iíd have thought.

Iíve just done a quick check on the military graves at Wool and can see Pte H (Harry) Hayward, 34757 RDC died 2 January 1917. Ancestry states previously Gloucestershire Regiment, enlisted Cheltenham, so doesnít appear to have been a local man.

Many thanks

Bob

#2 Charleschandler

Charleschandler

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Researching the history of the parish of Welford, West Berkshire, particularly during the Great War. Produced a record of commemoration for the parish war memorial in 2008 as a member of the history association for Welford and Wickham and am currently setting up a website for the same (www.welford-wickham.co.uk). Also enjoy good pubs, good food and beer, and a good sofa.

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:16 AM

Just to reply to my own post, for the benefit of anyone interested in this area of research, I've now obtained a copy of Pte Hayward's death certificate.

Confirms he was a resident of Cheltenham and serving in 265th Protection Company, Royal Defence Corps. Died of bronchitis / heart failure at the military hospital, Bovington Camp, 2nd January 1917. Informant, Capt E Witham RAMC, o/c Military Hospital.

So it appears the RDC were definitely at Bovington Camp.

Bob

#3 Graham Stewart

Graham Stewart

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,215 posts
  • Interests:Researching and collecting militaria to the Northumberland Fusiliers from the raising of the regiment to 1968, and the new Royal Regiment of Fusiliers from 1968 to present day.
    My other interests are the study of British Army in general, and in particular units raised during the Great War, especially the Volunteer Training Corps/Volunteer Force.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

Interesting that he's with 265th Protection Coy, RDC as the original Orbat of these Protection Coy's doesn't include a 265th. Those units in Southern Command were numbered from the 251st to 264th, with the 300th as the Command Reserve Coy. As he died in 1917 I wonder if further Company's were added to the Orbat?