Photo

Development of Bovington Camp in the Great War

3 replies to this topic

#1 Charleschandler

Charleschandler

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Researching the history of the parish of Welford, West Berkshire, particularly during the Great War. Produced a record of commemoration for the parish war memorial in 2008 as a member of the history association for Welford and Wickham and am currently setting up a website for the same (www.welford-wickham.co.uk). Also enjoy good pubs, good food and beer, and a good sofa.

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

Hello all,

Iíve just seen a reference in a topic posted on the forum way back in 2004 to an essay by G.E.Lanning called 'From Rifle Range to Garrison' about the development of Bovington Camp between 1899 and 1925.

Iím very interested in the early history of the camp as my granddad was stationed in the area on home defence duties during the Great War.

Does anyone know whether this essay is in print and if itís possible to get a copy? Failing that, does anyone know of any other similar sources out there? Unfortunately I canít message the person who posted the topic direct.

A bit late for the Christmas list, I know :)

Cheers

Bob

#2 charlesmessenger

charlesmessenger

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

Try the Tank Museum at Bovington.

Charles M

#3 Charleschandler

Charleschandler

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Researching the history of the parish of Welford, West Berkshire, particularly during the Great War. Produced a record of commemoration for the parish war memorial in 2008 as a member of the history association for Welford and Wickham and am currently setting up a website for the same (www.welford-wickham.co.uk). Also enjoy good pubs, good food and beer, and a good sofa.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

Charles M

Many thanks Charles, I've emailed the Librarian.

Bob

#4 Charleschandler

Charleschandler

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 277 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

Charles M

Just to answer my own question, and for the benefit of anyone who may be interested in future, I've received a very prompt and helpful reply from the Librarian at Bovington confirming they do have a copy of ďFrom Rifle Range to GarrisonĒ and that they also have a copy of George and Anne Fortyís book ďBovington TanksĒ, which also covers Bovington Camp.

So, once Christmas and New Year are out of the way, Bovington and Badger beers await....

Cheers

Bob