28 replies to this topic

#1 Chris_Baker

Chris_Baker

General

• Old Sweat
  • 14,067 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

http://www.ladepeche...e-musulman.html

29 war graves and a memorial defaced, with graffiti including swastikas, at Carcassonne. Appalling.

#2 green_acorn

green_acorn

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,075 posts
  • Interests:Scouts, Observers and Intelligence systems, process, personnel and "product" in the 1st AIF, BEF, MEF and EEF

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2011/12/27/1248590-carcassonne-nouvelle-profanation-au-carre-musulman.html

95 war graves and a memorial defaced, with graffiti including swastikas, at Carcassonne. Appalling.

Chris, Reading the article it says 29 graves were descrated. A small point but necessary when these things can get a head of steam of their own in these times.

Cheers,
Hendo

#3 Chris_Baker

Chris_Baker

General

• Old Sweat
  • 14,067 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:37 PM

Apologies and thanks - where on earth did I get 95 from? Original post will be amended.

#4 Keith Roberts

Keith Roberts

Lieut-General

• Admin
  • 6,110 posts
  • Interests:Researching the war of Greengates, those who served, and the community behind them. Yorkshire regiments, Belgian and other beers.

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

Regardless of the number, it is sad as well as sick that such activity persists and that anyone takes satisfaction from it.

Keith

#5 Roger H

Roger H

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,441 posts
  • Interests:311th Brigade RFA. The salient from Boezinge to Ploegsteert and the Arras area. Moseley Rugby Club. British real ale and Belgian Beer.

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:10 PM

Despicable.

Roger

#6 Jim_Grundy

Jim_Grundy

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 652 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

Obscene. What else is there to say about such behaviour?

#7 Tom W.

Tom W.

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:06 AM

I searched the forum and found no reference to the desecration of gravestones of Jewish soldiers who died at Verdun, which happened in May of 2004:

http://articles.lati...d/fg-briefs17.3

The creeps doing this also desecrate British and German soldiers' graves.

http://www.google.co...kvmp8N0KD5ZtvKw

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on Muslims being the target this time. The overwhelming majority of grave desecration carried out in France (95 percent) is committed on Christian cemeteries.

http://www.intoleran...cemeteries.html

#8 River97

River97

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,918 posts
  • Interests:Medals to the London Regiment. Bringing the non-com Australians in from the cold.

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:38 AM

You would likely find that this is being done by a person or person's who do not understand the significance of what they are doing. I think they would be mightily scared, to put it nicely, when they find out the true meaning of the war graves and memorials. Still does not make it right though. A good dose of time in uniform would sort them out.

Cheers Andy.

#9 Eceabat

Eceabat

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 406 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:46 AM

Mindless stupidity and an insult to all who fell.

Bill

#10 auchonvillerssomme

auchonvillerssomme

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 10,160 posts
  • Interests:First World War in general, Somme specifically. War memorials and losses.

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:26 AM

I think they know exactly what they are doing and quite possibly they truly believe that this is the only way they can show their feelings about certain sections of a religion they blame for the ills of the world.

#11 Lachlan

Lachlan

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:My family, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian, Indonesia, Singapore and Philippines, cooking, Great War detective work, 9th Scottish Div, 51st Highland Div, 65th Lowland Div

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

I presume they see it as some sort of anarchy, hitting at the very core of what decent people hold sacred. Plus way too much time on their hands. Or then again, plain old neo-nazi euro-skins.

In a slightly different direction, as the Germans and Allies were fighting it out on the Somme and other areas of Northern France/Belgium in 1940, were WW1 monuments, graves etc damaged / destroyed in battle or else by a revengeful foe ?

#12 hesmond

hesmond

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,096 posts
  • Interests:Great War in general ,collector 40+ years battlefield exploreing over 40 years collecting photo albums ,paper work, diarys letters and medals . General intrest Pas de Calais,and Northern France, Grandfather served 4th Hussars Grandad Joseph Ashley 1914/15 along side his brother .Exploring Normandy ,Agincourt ,Crecy, battlefields far and wide and discovering all aspects of Pas De Calais

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

In reply as to were war memorials destroyed by the Germans in WW2 ,awnser yes ,and they filmed it ,the memorial for USA Negro troops was blown up ,in fact footage of this was used in the series Why We Fight ? in encourgeing Negro soldiers to join up .

#13 healdav

healdav

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Luxembourg history, walking, battlefield guiding

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

I searched the forum and found no reference to the desecration of gravestones of Jewish soldiers who died at Verdun, which happened in May of 2004:

http://articles.lati...d/fg-briefs17.3

The creeps doing this also desecrate British and German soldiers' graves.

http://www.google.co...kvmp8N0KD5ZtvKw

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on Muslims being the target this time. The overwhelming majority of grave desecration carried out in France (95 percent) is committed on Christian cemeteries.

http://www.intoleran...cemeteries.html

One of the two people who did the Verdun desecration turned out to be rather simple (and under the influence of the other). He still got 6 months. The other bloke was retained for a long time for sentencing (not too sure what he got, but it was more than 6 months).

#14 centurion

centurion

General

• Old Sweats
  • 24,764 posts
  • Interests:Military history, science fiction

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

Still does not make it right though. A good dose of time in uniform would sort them out.

Not that hoary old line again! I'd think they would be the last person any decent military organisation would want in their ranks

#15 healdav

healdav

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Luxembourg history, walking, battlefield guiding

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

I presume they see it as some sort of anarchy, hitting at the very core of what decent people hold sacred. Plus way too much time on their hands. Or then again, plain old neo-nazi euro-skins.

In a slightly different direction, as the Germans and Allies were fighting it out on the Somme and other areas of Northern France/Belgium in 1940, were WW1 monuments, graves etc damaged / destroyed in battle or else by a revengeful foe ?

We've been here before. During WW2, war cemeteries were treated differenty depending on the attitude of the local commander. I have heard stories of them sending squads to cut the grass, turning out the SS when they went to pull up jewish gravestones, allowing the locals to care for the cemeteries and simply abandoning them. There doesn't seem to have been any policy.

#16 AussiesinArras

AussiesinArras

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Battlefields
    Steam Locomotives
    Underwater Wrecks

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:03 AM

Around 2 years ago, a number of Muslim headstones were damaged up at Notre Dame de Lorette, near Arras.

That section of the Cemetery is now under 24hr camera surveillance.

Peter

#17 Sly

Sly

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

HI,

We've been here before. During WW2, war cemeteries were treated differenty depending on the attitude of the local commander. I have heard stories of them sending squads to cut the grass, turning out the SS when they went to pull up jewish gravestones, allowing the locals to care for the cemeteries and simply abandoning them. There doesn't seem to have been any policy.

I believe that in most of the WW1 German cemeteries there was not a very obvious distinction between the religion (Jewish or not) during the second world war: most of the German cemeteries had still the original wooden crosses. So the visible religion distinction that we know today wasn't so obvious in 1940s, in most of the case it's Post WW2 (in some case the original wooden crosses were replaced by iron or stone crosses in the late 60's -early 70's, i.e at Vermandovillers)

Sly

#18 CROONAERT

CROONAERT

Lieut-General

• Old Sweat
  • 10,580 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

most of the German cemeteries had still the original wooden crosses... ... the visible religion distinction that we know today wasn't so obvious in 1940s, in most of the case it's Post WW2 (in some case the original wooden crosses were replaced by iron or stone crosses in the late 60's -early 70's, i.e at Vermandovillers)

Last batch of grave marker changes were as recent as 1977 - 1984 and the earliest took place in 1954 so, as you say, definately post-WW2.

Dave

#19 Sly

Sly

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

Thanks Dave,

do you know in what German cemetery was the lastest example in France ?
I would have thought La Malmaison or Neuville saint Vaast ?

Sly

#20 CROONAERT

CROONAERT

Lieut-General

• Old Sweat
  • 10,580 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

Malmaison - 1965
Neuville St. Vaast - 1976 (complete overhall from 1975 - work completed 1983)

Halluin, Bousbecque, Monthois, La Broque,Thanville, Bertrimoutier, Annoeullien and Illies were all changed in 1980 (these appear to the last ones... I seem to have been mistaken with my '1984' reference - that was the year that several cemeteries (many of which were cemeteries containing 'floor plaques') underwent a total overhall rather than have a grave marker style replacement)

Dave

#21 Sly

Sly

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

Thank you very much for all these informations Dave,

Illies German cemetery is one of my favorite. I was told the date of 1977 for the Vermandovillers German cemetery by someone working for the V.D.K in Chaulnes, can you confirm the date?
Maissemy is interesting too.

Regards,

Sly

#22 centurion

centurion

General

• Old Sweats
  • 24,764 posts
  • Interests:Military history, science fiction

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

The Waffen SS had a number of specifically Moslem units in the Balkans which might give a reason (but not an excuse) for post war incidents there. However not in France.

#23 CROONAERT

CROONAERT

Lieut-General

• Old Sweat
  • 10,580 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

Sly,

According to my VdK lists, Vermandovillers 'went metal' in 1979.

Dave (PS... add Cernay to the 1980 list - I thought i already listed it, but it seems that I didn't!)

#24 Sly

Sly

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

Thanks Dave,

:thumbsup:

Sly

#25 Marilyne

Marilyne

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Western Front - Belgium
    Marching
    International Law
    Horse Riding
    Photography

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

Not that hoary old line again! I'd think they would be the last person any decent military organisation would want in their ranks

I so totally agree with you on that !!
Military service may be a good "education" in some cases, and young men tend to get a bit more discipline and righteoussness in their lives by joining up, but I would never want a guy with so little respect as a trainee.

To all other posts; whatever the reason, whoever did it and on whichever grave, civilian or military, it is APPALING, period !!

Marilyne