• Interests:War Diaries.
    Original published unit histories.

BEF in 1914
    Gallipoli
    Yeomanry 1902-1922
    Indian Army

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

Hello

Does anyone know where I might find detailed (daily) meteorological data for Gallipoli for the campaign. I am sure the RN and or the RNAS must have kept detailed logs of the weather doubtless now buried in the National Archives.. Any ideas would be welcome. Regards MG

#2 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

Martin,

you may get some help on the Old Weather Forum: see http://forum.oldweat...hp?topic=2347.0

Good luck
Michael

#3 skipman

skipman

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 11,445 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

Thank for that link Michael.

For an embryonic site, check my signature Martin. Not a lot there on Gallipoli yet, but hopefully in future?

Mike

#4 alan two

alan two

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

Hi Michael

Sorry I have only just seen this post or I would have added the barometer readings here.

Kind regards
Alan

#5 green_acorn

green_acorn

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,051 posts
  • Interests:Scouts, Observers and Intelligence systems, process, personnel and "product" in the 1st AIF, BEF, MEF and EEF

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

Hello

Does anyone know where I might find detailed (daily) meteorological data for Gallipoli for the campaign. I am sure the RN and or the RNAS must have kept detailed logs of the weather doubtless now buried in the National Archives.. Any ideas would be welcome. Regards MG

Martin,

As you correctly identify the Royal Navy's ship's logs would be the most authoritative/consistent source. The RN Museum should be able to help RN Museum Portsmouth. But as you point out the Ships records are at the TNA. Why not pick two of the principal warships to refine your search and provide corroboration.

Cheers,
Hendo

Reply to this topic