simon2

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Gloucestershire Regiment
    Royal Marine Light Infantry (PLY)
    Medals to the name 'Dew''Willington'

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

Recently I submitted the paperwork for my Great Grandfather Pte F.E.Dew 1673TF 2/6th Glosters.

Whilst waiting I contacted the Cemetery just to enquire how a headstone would be erected (no headstone currently on the grave), what was
required, who would be involved etc and found out that if he is accepted for commeration they might decline a permit to erect one. The records show
even with an extension on the lease it ran out in 1989. Since then the area has been cleared of headstones (all expired leases) and only grass
left. If a headstone is erected it may intefere with the maintenance of the area.

Is this something that happens often ?

What are the options ?

Regards,

Simon.

I am fully aware the chance of the M.O.D. rejecting the application.

#2 David Underdown

David Underdown

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,564 posts
  • Interests:The Rolls of Honour of the Central Council for Church Bell Ringers, and the Surrey Association of Church Bell Ringers.

Also remembering my Great-Great-Uncle Pte 30649 Frederick John Holbrook, 2nd Bn, Welsh Regiment, Died of Wounds 26 July 1916, buried Heilly Station Cemetery, II D 11 aged 19 according to CWGC, but born 5 May 1898. Entered France 12 May 1915. (Avatar)

Staff member (Digital Preservation) at The National Archives, but here in a personal capacity.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

I think a special memorial would be erected at a location agreed between the cemetery and CWGC with wording like "Known to be buried in this cemetery", or the name would be added to a screen wall if there's already one at the cemetery

#3 John Hartley

John Hartley

General

• Old Sweat
  • 14,725 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

David is spot-on. The screen wall is the usual way forward in instances like this.

#4 auchonvillerssomme

auchonvillerssomme

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 10,042 posts
  • Interests:First World War in general, Somme specifically. War memorials and losses.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

Why are they removing headstones from graves, surely even with expired leases the cemetery is a cemetery. Are they re-using the plots or planning to sell and exhume for building?

#5 simon2

simon2

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 795 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I think a special memorial would be erected at a location agreed between the cemetery and CWGC with wording like "Known to be buried in this cemetery", or the name would be added to a screen wall if there's already one at the cemetery

If all goes well and he is commerated then at least he will be remembered in some form. I know of two other cemeteries in Bristol that have a screen wall as suggested.
I am not sure if there is a screen wall at Greenbank Cemetery. I'll have to look into this in time and see what can be done within the cemetery.

The area where my GGF is buried is one of the oldest parts of the cemetery and over time it looks like all the headstones have become unstable or in desrepair.
They did say that after 100 years some areas are cleared of headstones and it is usual practice.As far as I'm aware the area is to stay as it is as it lies next to a wildlife
section. I hope that is correct anyway as there are 7 members of my family in the same grave the earliest burial being 1859. My GGGF took a lease on the plot (for 75 years)
in1889 and with the additional 25 years, that could have been taken, would only take it up to 1989. I might be wrong but feedback I've had is after that initial 100 years you loose
all authority over the plot. Obviously it is easier to maintain if the area is flat and there are no obstructions ie; headstones.

Simon.

#6 HERITAGE PLUS

HERITAGE PLUS

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,430 posts
  • Interests:British Military History in general but mainly the period 1837-1919.
    Irish Military History mainly 1798, 1916 and 1919-23.
    Military & Brass Bands - Music and Instruments

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

Simon

I am not sure if there is a screen wall at Greenbank Cemetery.

See: http://www.rememberi...nk_cemetery.htm

Dave

#7 simon2

simon2

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 795 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

Dave,

Many thanks for info I can just relax and wait now for the outcome.

Regards

Simon.