9 replies to this topic

#1 Martyn_1965

Martyn_1965

Corporal

• Members2
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

Hi

My grandfather enlisted in the 13th batallion Middlesex Regiment 11.09.14 and was lucky enough to survive. As far as I know this is a group photo that includes him and some more of his batallion/regiment.

His younger brother later enlisted in the Middlesex Regiment but died of wounds 26.01.1916

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place but thought it might be of some interest. Still trying to work out which one is my grandfather though!

Martyn

Attached Files

#2 Martyn_1965

Martyn_1965

Corporal

• Members2
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

Hi again

I am now pretty sure my grandfarther Edward Hammond is the first on the left in the second row back seated (i.e. the row where they are seated rather than 1st/2nd row of those sat on the ground).

Love the fact that there are all these serious faces but right at the front there is one soldier with a fag in his mouth that appears to pouring a beer for his mate!

I've now downloaded the batallion diary from the national archives! Not sure when I will get through it but I did check the dates where his brother died of wounds but as expected he was not named as he was a corporal, but it did confirm taht in a period of four days they did lose one man who died of wounds.

Just in case anyone is interested Edward's brother was Arthur Hammond. I also have photos of them both in uniform.

All the best

Martyn

#3 Matthew

Matthew

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:My rifles, my fishing rods and my Book of Common Prayer...

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for posting the picture; its the sort I wish I had of my Grandfather. I do like the guys having a beer!

#4 Researcher 2

Researcher 2

Corporal

• Members2
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

Hi

Been reading your pages for sometime but only signed up today. Two of my great uncles served with the 13th Middlesex Edwin and George Fox. Edwin died at Ypres on 30th April 1916. George, on the Somme on August 10th 1916. (They also lost a third brother who was in the 12th KRRC). I am not sure if either George or Edwin are in the photo, as I am not certain when they joined up and all the moustaches look the same. They came from Fulham, however and I wonder if this is where any of your relatives were from.

Janice

#5 Stebie9173

Stebie9173

General

• Old Sweats
  • 12,656 posts
  • Interests:Northamptonshire Regiment (mainly 6th Bn.), 12th Div Signals R.E., 9th Black Watch, Royal Engineers.

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

With the majority of men wearing bandoliers, it would imply that this the the battalion Transport Section. The man standing on the left appears to have overseas chevrons on his right cuff, which would suggest that the picture was taken in 1918 or later.

Steve.

#6 Researcher 2

Researcher 2

Corporal

• Members2
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

If thats the case, then my great uncles are definately not with them

#7 Simon Mills

Simon Mills

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:106 Brigade Royal Field Artillery
    HMS Bulwark
    3rd & 13th Battalions, Middlesex Regiment
    HMHS Britannic

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

One of my great great uncles, Corporal Arthur Hodgson, was also with the 13th Middlesex. He is listed as being killed in action on 8th June 1917 in the fighting around Ravine Wood, just to the south east of Ypres.

Unfortunately the family has no known photographs of Arthur or of his brother Nathaniel who was also killed in February 1915 when serving with the 3rd Middlesex regiment -- also south east of Ypres; although none of the faces in the photograph bear any family resemblance, it would be nice to think that he is in there -- somewhere...

S.

#8 Researcher 2

Researcher 2

Corporal

• Members2
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

Know its a probably a co-incidence but Edwin and George Fox's mother's maiden name was Hodgson. Is there any connection with Fulham or Luton?
Jan

#9 Simon Mills

Simon Mills

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:106 Brigade Royal Field Artillery
    HMS Bulwark
    3rd & 13th Battalions, Middlesex Regiment
    HMHS Britannic

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

Know its a probably a co-incidence but Edwin and George Fox's mother's maiden name was Hodgson. Is there any connection with Fulham or Luton? Jan

Not that I'm aware of, but they're not too far from Fulham. Nathaniel was apparently born in Paddington, while Arthur was born in Hampstead.

I'm told that Hodsgon is quite a common name, but who knows, there could be a distant relationship...

S.

#10 Researcher 2

Researcher 2

Corporal

• Members2
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

It was just an off chance that there was a family connection.

Jan