12 replies to this topic

#1 Ian C

Ian C

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 904 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:44 AM

Hi

Well after a couple of false starts, hoping to get this off the ground now. There will be a 'planning meeting' at Collins Barracks at 2 pm, on Saturday, 28 January, if you go to the main reception you will be taken to/told where the meeting room is.

I think I have contacted everyone who expressed an interest in this on another thread, but if I missed you or if you are seeing this for the first time, please feel free to attend the meeting if you would like to or, if you prefer send me a PM with your email address and I will get back to you.

If you do plan to attend please be aware that this is a discussion meeting on the setting up of a branch, there will not be any guest speakers etc.

Regards

Ian Chambers

#2 Ian C

Ian C

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 904 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

Just bring this back up to the top.

The planning meeting went very well and the Dublin Branch of the WFA will be inaugurated at Collins Barracks on Saturday, 25 February, doors open at 2 pm for a 2.30 start.

Regards

IanC

#3 mick1234

mick1234

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

Ian,
Tried to send PM, but message appears that you are not receiving any new mail
Mick

#4 Ian C

Ian C

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 904 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Inaugural branch meeting tomorrow.

Lecture Theatre at Collins Barracks, 2 pm for 2.30 start.

#5 Des Mullaney

Des Mullaney

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Ireland in the Great War
    Dublin Fusiliers
    Great War Archaeology

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

I went to the inaugural meeting of the Dublin Branch of the WFA on the 25th of February 2012.
The meeting was held at Collins Barracks, Dublin. A Committee was elected. Then followed
a talk by the Irish Great War Society on British Army uniforms in WW1. After that a further talk
was given by Mr Michael Carragher on Cavalry in WW1. A very enjoyable afternoon and well done
to Ian Chambers for all his hard work in getting the branch off the ground.

Cheers

Des

Attached Files

#6 munster

munster

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

Also attended i shall echo Des's comments a very good afternoon.I would add that anyone interested in attending future meets watch this spot.By the way i think the venue is as good a one as could be had anywhere.Well done Ian.john

#7 Des Mullaney

Des Mullaney

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 13 posts
    Dublin Fusiliers
    Great War Archaeology

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

The link below is for the National Libraries page on the upcoming event (21.03.12) to digitalise Great War memorabilia. Ian Chambers will be there on the day to promote our branch, as you will see, the event is from 10 am until 7 pm, a long day, Ian plans to be there all day, but if anyone could join him, even just for an hour or two it would be much appreciated. Please let us know if you can spare an hour or two.

Thanks

Des

http://www.nli.ie/en...2e-91b9081cc58d

#8 Des Mullaney

Des Mullaney

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 13 posts
    Dublin Fusiliers
    Great War Archaeology

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

The message below is from Ian Chambers who attended the National Library event on behalf of the new Dublin Branch

"Just a quick note to let you all know that we had a great day at the National Library yesterday, there was lots of interest in the branch and we really raised our profile.

We also got to see some great things that people had brought in, just a few tasters attached herewith, a group of medals with a DSO, a couple of pages from a nurses scrapbook and a Pickelhaube. More photos on the website in a few days."

Regards

Ian Chambers

#9 Des Mullaney

Des Mullaney

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 13 posts
    Dublin Fusiliers
    Great War Archaeology

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:12 AM

Photo from National Library event

Another photo from the National Library event.

Attached Files

#10 Des Mullaney

Des Mullaney

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 13 posts
    Dublin Fusiliers
    Great War Archaeology

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

The next meeting of the Dublin Branch WFA will be on Saturday the 21st of April 2012, doors open 2.00pm for a 2.30pm start finishing at about 4.30pm. The meeting will be held in the lecture theatre at Collins Barracks, Dublin. All are welcome. This months talk will be given by members of the 18th Regiment of Foot Royal Irish Regiment Association. The following is details of the talk by Dave Foley:

"The title of our presentation will be 'Missing the Point - A Re-orientation with five soldiers of the Royal Irish Regiment'. Without jumping too far ahead into the punch line the focus of our presentation will be to 'poke' the general approach taken by some (not all) in visiting memorials and cemeteries. In essence we, using five examples of soldiers of the RIR, hope to refocus minds on thinking about the individuals, the soldier rather than just a name or a long list of names. We hope to share more about how the five lived and soldiered rather than just the normal 'fascination' with how they died.

I intend to introduce and conclude our presentation and to make it more interesting four or five other Committee members will 'promote' (within 5 -7 minutes each) their chosen soldier as an example for remembrance and commemoration."

This sounds excellent, it's a shame I am going to miss it!

#11 munster

munster

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

Thanks Des hope to be there and looking forward to it,intend to go early this month and have a look at the museum as well.john

#12 Des Mullaney

Des Mullaney

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 13 posts
    Dublin Fusiliers
    Great War Archaeology

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

Great stuff John, hope you enjoy the meeting and the museum as well.

Just thought I'd mention we now have a facebook page if your interested. It is Dublin Branch, Western Front Association.

All the best.

Cheers

Des

#13 Des Mullaney

Des Mullaney

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 13 posts
    Dublin Fusiliers
    Great War Archaeology

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

Dear all,

There will be another meeting of the Dublin Branch of the Western Front Association again this Saturday the 19th of May, at the Lecture Theatre, Collins Barracks, doors open at 2 pm for a 2.30 start.

This months speaker is North Wales Branch member Trevor Adams.

Trevor was born and brought up in Belfast, but has been living in England, and now in Wales, since 1982.

Trevor will talk about the WWI connections of his family, a lot of which he has uncovered in the context of research into family history. The starting point is his grandfather who was in the 36th Ulster Division and died of wounds on the Somme at Thiepval, in July 1916. As well as that, one cousin was killed serving with the Canadian army, and another with the US army on the Aisne. A fourth cousin died at Ypres with the British.

Trevor has recently been to Thiepval Wood and will include some photos of the recent archaeological work there.

So, the talk in essence is the story of the four soldiers and, importantly, their families and what happened to them. More generally, it may help to give some information on family research in the WWI context."

It would be great to see you there. All the best.