Photo

Aftermath of Quintinshill railway accident

3 replies to this topic

#1 NigelP

NigelP

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:The North & South Staffordshire Regiments and The Staffordshire Yeomanry.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

The day after the Quntinshill railway accident killed or injured 90% of 1/7th Battalion Royal Scots the survivors were moved to Liverpool to join their troopship to Gallipoli. Wiser heads prevailed and all the ORs and one of the officers were adjudged medically unfit and were returned to Edinburgh. As they were still wearing the uniforms they had been wearing at the time of the accident they looked pretty disreputable and there is a contemporary report that they were stoned and pelted by children who mistook them for German POWs as they marched from Liverpool docks back to the station. This report was written by Alexander Thompson and appeared in the Edinburgh Weekly. Does anyone have a copy of this or have seen it and could supply me with more details e.g. when it appeared.

Thanks

Nigel

#2 munster

munster

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

Hi Nigel a search of the forums just using the one word quintinshill will turn up much on this topic like the thread below good luck.john
http://1914-1918.inv...dpost&p=1627389

#3 Malcolm

Malcolm

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:53 PM

Forrest may have some info. Ask him.
http://www.military-researcher.com/

Aye
Malcolm

#4 GC Jack

GC Jack

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Railways and researching railway history.

Walking and music.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

Hello I am new to the forum.

I have been researching the accident at Quintinshill for nearly two years. The report of the incident above is also carried in a book by J A B Hamilton.

I would be interested to hear from anyone on the forum who has any details or anecdotal evidence on the accident. I have discovered many local myths and folklore that I would like verification on.

One such is a suggestion that an officer, so enraged by the tragedy, went into the signal cabin and tried to shoot the signalmen there. This shocking story could be just local nonsense but I would welcome any information either way.

Many thanks,

Jack

Reply to this topic