French Flag Nursing Corps

4 replies to this topic

#1 Fred W

Fred W

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 470 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

Only two nurses in the FFNC died in service during WW1. Clementina Addison was the first to die in July 1916. The second was Marie De L'Epine in 1917. Does anyone know the nature of her death?

Fred W

#2 Sue Light

Sue Light

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

She died in November 1918, so possibly of influenza, but I believe that at time she had left the FFNC as she was fairly far on in her first pregnancy, so it could have been a complication of that.

Sue

#3 Jim Strawbridge

Jim Strawbridge

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:03 AM

The only serving female casualty of the French Flag Nursing Corps seems to be Clementina Addison. I have not come across Marie De L'Epine and, as Sue has mentioned, had probably resigned pre-death.

There are two other casualties that had served with the FFNC but had moved on prior to their deaths.

Ella Kate COOKE, QAIMNS had been a member for eight months.
Lily LIND, New Zealand Army Nursing Corps was in the FFNS in October 1914.
Alice WELFORD, QAIMNS, was one of 16 nurses from St.Bartholomews Hospital who was sent to France under the French Flag Nursing Corps in November 1914..

#4 Fred W

Fred W

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 470 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

Thanks for the information. The lit I was looking at had the dates the nurses served in the FFNC and Marie De L'Epine was down as leaving June 1917 with a note deceased. Whilst I thought this meant she died then it seems obvious that dhe just left and as you report she died in 1918. What nationality was she and where did she die?

Fred

#5 Sue Light

Sue Light

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Marie de l'Epine was a French national - the only French member of the FFNC. She was accepted for the service as she was British trained at St. Thomas' Hospital, London.

Sue

Her married name was Madame Delord, and as far as I know her husband was French, all her family were French and she died in France, though I have no source for that.

Edited by Sue Light, 31 January 2012 - 03:03 PM.

Reply to this topic