10 replies to this topic

#1 Rusty2727

Rusty2727

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

Hi Pal's

can anyone enlighten me of prison camps in Southern Germany, possibly any that may have held a large number of Russian POW's in 1918.

Thanks

Russ

#2 hywyn

hywyn

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweat
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

Russ

A couple of weeks ago I spotted on the Hamburg Cemtery details on CWGC that it was one of four where burials had been concentrated from other cemeteries in Germany
The four are
Berlin South Western
Hamburg
Cologne Southern
Niederzwerhen

None seem to be particularly in the South but the last refers to Russian burials.

The cemetery was begun by the Germans in 1915 for the burial of prisoners of war who died at the local camp. During the war almost 3,000 Allied soldiers and civilians, including French, Russian and Commonwealth, were buried there In 1922-23 it was decided that the graves of Commonwealth servicemen who had died all over Germany should be brought together into four permanent cemeteries. Niederzwehren was one of those chosen and in the following four years, more than 1,500 graves were brought into the cemetery from 190 burial grounds in Baden, Bavaria, Hanover, Hesse and Saxony. There are now 1,796 First World War servicemen buried or commemorated in the Commonwealth plot at Niederzwehren. This total includes special memorials to 13 casualties buried in other cemeteries in Germany whose graves could not be found. The following cemeteries are among those from which graves were brought to Niederzwehren: BAYREUTH TOWN CEMETERY, Bavaria. 24 burials of 1918. DARMSTADT FOREST CEMETERY, Hesse. In use from 1915. 102 burials. DIETKIRCHEN PRISONERS OF WAR CEMETERY, Hesse-Nassau. 45 burials (28 of Irish regiments) of 1914-18. FREIBURG IN BREISGAU MAIN CEMETERY, Baden, 43 burials of 1918. GERMERSHEIM CEMETERY, Palatinate. 26 burials of 1915-1918. GIESSEN MILITARY CEMETERY, Hesse. 99 burials of 1914-1919. GOTTINGEN MILITARY CEMETERY, Hanover. 88 burials of 1914-1919. HAMELN PRISONERS OF WAR CEMETERY, Hanover. 70 burials of 1915-1918. INGOLSTADT CEMETERY, Bavaria. 23 burials of 1917-1918. LANGENSALZA PRISONERS OF WAR CEMETERIES No. 1 and No. 2, Prussian Saxony. 225 burials of 1915-1918. MAINZ MILITARY CEMETERY, Rhein-Hessen. 23 burials of 1915-1919. MANNHEIM MAIN CEMETERY, Baden. 21 burials of 1916-1918. MESCHEDE PRISONERS OF WAR CEMETERY, Westphalia. 49 burials of 1917-1918. OHRDRUF PRISONERS OF WAR CEMETERY, Thuringia. 107 burials of 1915-1918. PADERBORN CEMETERY, Westphalia. 29 soldiers burials of 1914-18. QUEDLINBURG CENTRAL CEMETERY, Prussian Saxony. 102 burials of 1914-1918. SENNELAGER PRISONERS OF WAR CEMETERY, Westphalia. 32 burials of 1914-1918.

http://www.cwgc.org/...ry=91502&mode=1

You may want to check the locations of the 'feeder' cemeteries plus some of those in the other three.
Hywyn

#3 Rusty2727

Rusty2727

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

Hi Hywyn,

Thank you very much for your reply, its given me some names to go on and research as ive completely hit a blank as to find out which POW camp my relative was in apart from the family rumor that it was in Southern Germany with lots of Russian POW's

Thanks again Hywyn

Russ

#4 Doug Johnson

Doug Johnson

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Gustrow

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

Russ,

There were a large number of camps in southern Germany, most, if not all of which would have held large numbers of Russian prisoners. Without any other clues the task is impossible. Doegen would provide a list of army corps and their head camps and if you can wait a little I will look at my copy to see how many there are and if not more than about thirty I will list them for you. These will be the head camps. All prisoners in germany would have a head camp even if they never actually went there though most would farmed out to working camps of which there are an untold number, certainly in the thousands but perhaps not as many as the highest estimate I have seen quoted which is 400 000!

Doug

#5 Rusty2727

Rusty2727

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hi Doug,

I'd really appreciate that pal, thank you, its become the hardest part of the jigsaw to unravel, the only other reference the family has is that at whichever camp he was held, he was a trustee of a bakery which of course wouldn't help shed any light on where he was whatsoever, but would be great when you get the chance and if not to many your information would be greatly received.

Thanks for now Doug.

Russ

#6 Doug Johnson

Doug Johnson

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

Russ,

As far as I can tell the following are the head camps in the southern part of Germany (from Mannheim down)that in October 1918 had both a significant roll of Russians and also had some Brits. I would stress that this is October 1918 and earlier in 1918 the position may have been different. Also these numbers are those on the books at the head camps, the actual numbers in the camp will be significantly lower as many will be away at other camps which are controlled by the head camp. In terms of Rastatt, the name of Russian Lager is merely to distinguish it from the civilian lager at the same place.

XVth Army Corps

Oberhofen 9405 Russian 156 British

XIVth Army Corps

Heuberg 7492 Russian 887 British
Mannheim 9737 Russian 1327 British
Rastatt (Russian Lager) 9826 Russian 163 British
Tauberbischofsheim 5384 Russian 35 British

Bavaria

Bayreuth 7423 Russian 1456 British
Erlangen 7037 Russian 3 British
Landau 2264 Russian 212 British

Wurttemberg

Ludwigsburg Eglosheim 3178 Russian 3 British

Doug

#7 Rusty2727

Rusty2727

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

thanks for that Doug, this is going to be a tricky one me thinks!...i was hoping that there may have only been one or two that had the large amount of Russian POW's to help narrow it down...oh well, the missing link continues to allude me! :wacko:

#8 Rusty2727

Rusty2727

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

Doug,

Just re looking at the list, as far as im aware Harry never mentioned there was a low number of British/Allied prisoners so im thinking maybe the Heuberg,Mannheim and Bayreuth maybe worth looking into further.

Russ

#9 Doug Johnson

Doug Johnson

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Russ, there would almost cetainly be a relatively small number of Brits resident in these camps, the majority being out at other camps. The numbers only tell of those registered, not those resident. There would be more in the camps if they held a high number of NCOs (who were not required to work) but these are not recorded separately.

This is L/Cpl George Carle's comments on the capacity of Heuberg;

Heuberg is a camp which is capable of holding a large number of prisoners. I think its capacity is 13,000, but while I was there it was fairly empty. 7000 would be the largest total of prisoners while I was there. (August 1916 to April 1917) Of these, about 300 were British

The numbers resident in the head camp varied considerably throughout the war, varying with the seasons and with the German successes.

Doug

#10 Keith Roberts

Keith Roberts

Lieut-General

• Admin
  • 5,822 posts
  • Interests:Researching the war of Greengates, those who served, and the community behind them. Yorkshire regiments, Belgian and other beers.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

Doug

One of the men I have been tracking is buried at the Cologne South Cemetery. As this was a concentration, are the CWGC likely to have information about his initial burial, assuming of course that he was not a prisoner at Cologne itself? I don't want to hassle them with useless enquiries unless there is a chance of a result.

Keith

Edit: I just had the thought - would his death certificate by likely to record the place of his death? I have two versions - SDGW says Died of wounds, while the local press stated pneumonia.

#11 Rusty2727

Rusty2727

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

Hi Doug,

Think this one is going to very hard to find out where he was held until the ICRC doc's are availible online in 2014, thats going to kill me to wait that long, but i cant think of any other way of tracking it down,the only other anvenues to explore i can think of would be local press to see if he was mentioned, have you any other ideas Doug?

Russ