Munitions factories in Bradford

29 replies to this topic

#1 BradfordWW1

BradfordWW1

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

Hi does anyone have a list of munitions factories in Bradford?

I have found that the Corporation Tramway Committee minutes provided snippets of information about the location of a couple of them. However one was referred to as being on Valley Road in Bradford and no one I have spoken to knows which factory it was or what munitions work they were involved with it was right next to the train line so would have been an ideal location but I don't know where to find out more.

I have seen some of your references to the book "History of the Ministry of Munitions" but there are lots of volumns which one would provide details of the locations and details of what operations were undertaken at each factory.

thanks for any help

kathryn

p.s. you might be interested to read about the Low Moor munitions factory explosion in Bradford http://www.bradfordw...-moor-explosion

#2 Jim Strawbridge

Jim Strawbridge

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

It is a shame that the website did not list those that died. I am researching women that died on service in WW1 and information about specific female munition workers is hard to find.

#3 BradfordWW1

BradfordWW1

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

Jim the site is very much work in progress and more will be added as time goes on the names of those who were killed or injured are in the name index. As the site develops and more names get added I will probably add more detail to the name index but I need to get a more technically capable website etc and more names on the list before that is worth while. I have just had a look at the raw data and there were no women who died and only 4 that were recorded as injured the rest were men. hope that helps kathryn

#4 Jim Strawbridge

Jim Strawbridge

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

Kathryn, Very helpful, Thank you, Jim

#5 great fire 17

great fire 17

Corporal

• Members2
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Munitions Factories, Fire Services in Great War and generally, 109th Brigade RFA, 235th Brigade RFA, Salonika especially the 1917 Fire!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

Jim
The official list of casualties is available for the Low Moor Explosion. I've written a couple of articles for fire brigade publications on this particular explosion so have the list. Is it just female casualties you are interested in for Low Moor?
Nigel

Kathryn, Very helpful, Thank you, Jim

#6 great fire 17

great fire 17

Corporal

• Members2
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Munitions Factories, Fire Services in Great War and generally, 109th Brigade RFA, 235th Brigade RFA, Salonika especially the 1917 Fire!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

Jim
Further update! Only one female fatal casualty reported amongst the 38 killed/ died as a result of the explosion and that was a Martha Briggs who lived in Wyke. She died from a fit triggered by shock as a result of the explosion. The MofM did issue a list of female workers who died in National Filling Factories. The list at York Minster on the boards is not complete for Munitions workers I've found. I'm researching explosions/ fires etc and have found a few missing! Nigel

#7 great fire 17

great fire 17

Corporal

• Members2
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

Sorry just like corporation buses nothing and then three all in a line!! Is it just Bradford you're interested in or surrounding areas? If its just Bradford give me a few days and I'll get you a list, Nigel

#8 BradfordWW1

BradfordWW1

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

Nigel, that was interesting I only had 36 on my list of fatalities and as I said no women - was Martha a worker there or did she just happen to live/work in the area. I didn't know about the MofM list either - does it state the names of all the munition factories in the area?
thanks for your help kathryn

#9 mmm45

mmm45

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

If I remember correctly theres quite a lot in the Spenborough Guardian held on fiche at Cleckheaton Library.
Low Moor was covered by this paper at the time

Nigel theres also info held at same archive on an explosion at Ellisons works in Heckmondwike that was also producing munitions.
http://www.spenborou...unity_1_1465603

Ady

#10 BradfordWW1

BradfordWW1

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

Bradford archive also has a lot of info including RON BLACKWELL's notes made for his book on the subject - it was only recently reopened after 20 year closure - fascinating stuff. kathryn

#11 mmm45

mmm45

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

Heres the info about Martha Briggs...Not an employee.

The total death roll was 38 but one of these, namely Martha Briggs, of Kellett Buildings, Wyke, was not an employee at the works and she died from a fit of apoplexy brought on by shock resulting from the explosion.

Ady

#12 great fire 17

great fire 17

Corporal

• Members2
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

Hi
Yes rather like quite a few explosions/ incidents at Great War factories, local residents and those travelling through were involved, hence Martha being shown as a casualty caused by the incident. Ashton under Lyne in Lancashire is another example where non workers/ emergency services staff were involved. I'll try to add my list of factories/ contractors supplying the MofM later tonight (depending on work),
Nigel

#13 Jim Strawbridge

Jim Strawbridge

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

I found this website quite interesting :-

http://www.bradfordh...03/lowmoor.html

My interest is in WW1 female casualties and I have also found a number of female munition workers who were not listed on the York Minster panels.

#14 great fire 17

great fire 17

Corporal

• Members2
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

Hi
Sorry for the delay with the list of factories in Bradford but there appears to be alot more than I first thought! A list will hopefully be available very shortly! Nigel

#15 great fire 17

great fire 17

Corporal

• Members2
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

I found this website quite interesting :-

http://www.bradfordh...03/lowmoor.html

My interest is in WW1 female casualties and I have also found a number of female munition workers who were not listed on the York Minster panels.

Jim
Had a few photos sent to me of a grave in Fenny Stratford Cemetery in Bucks. The young lady, May Emma Constable aged 22, died of burns following an explosion at a Munitions Works on 1st March 1918. She died on 7th March in Bute Hospital, Luton. Unfortunately the death cert does not give the location or name of the factory, nor does her name appear on the lists I've seen so the detective work continues.
Nigel

#16 auchonvillerssomme

auchonvillerssomme

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 10,034 posts
  • Interests:First World War in general, Somme specifically. War memorials and losses.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

Here are some

Phoenix Foundry
Phoenix Dynamo Works
Wilson & Co
Low Moor
Hepworth & Grandage
Brown & Bailey
Thwaites Bros
Shackletons
Greenwoods
Lupton & Place
Illingoworths
Scotts, Shipley

I would be interested in seeing the Low Moor medal of merit if anyone has one in their possession.

#17 Jim Strawbridge

Jim Strawbridge

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

Jim
Had a few photos sent to me of a grave in Fenny Stratford Cemetery in Bucks. The young lady, May Emma Constable aged 22, died of burns following an explosion at a Munitions Works on 1st March 1918. She died on 7th March in Bute Hospital, Luton. Unfortunately the death cert does not give the location or name of the factory, nor does her name appear on the lists I've seen so the detective work continues.
Nigel

I may be able to help here thanks to Ian Chambers who provided me with the information. He found an old newspaper report of May's funeral but it stated that she died on the 7th March 1918 - presumably the same day as the explosion. The inscription on the kerbing on her grave plainly shows "from injuries received while working on munitions for her country, March 7, 1918, aged 22 years". Perhaps it was from the George Kent Limited memorial which does say 1st March 1918. The memorial states that it was a Friday. I guess that we need to research if George Kent Limited had more than one factory and see if there was an explosion around that date.

#18 BradfordWW1

BradfordWW1

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

Thanks for the list of munitions factories I knew of some of them but will have to do more investigating to find out more. Another thing to add to the list of research projects!!

There is a memorial to the Low Moor explosion that is currently at the Bradford Industrial Museum. I'll try and post a pic to my website and link from here :0)

Thanks for all help and interest in this subject it is much appreciated and is part of a personal ongoing project to continue to share information about life at home in one City during the first world war - labour of love!

best wishes

Kathryn

#19 auchonvillerssomme

auchonvillerssomme

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 10,034 posts
  • Interests:First World War in general, Somme specifically. War memorials and losses.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

Kathryn, if you get hold of a copy of the National Roll of the Great War 1914-1918, Section IX - Bradford. Re-printed by the N&M Press. ISBN: 9781847340429. Gives you some details of several Special War Workers, male and female, who worked in the factories.

#20 mmm45

mmm45

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:32 AM

http://www.lmlhg.org...or/expics1.html

Mick some phots of the medals awarded for merit etc on the above link

Ady

#21 auchonvillerssomme

auchonvillerssomme

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

Ady thanks for that, not seen it before.

Mick

#22 BradfordWW1

BradfordWW1

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

Great thanks for that ordered CD from S&N Genealogy suppliers and it was on sale too - bonus!

#23 Spud Trevor

Spud Trevor

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

Hello Kathryn,
Maybe more Leeds than Bradford, but there was the National Ordnance Factory No 1 Newlay. They produced a souvenir, an in house booklet called The Shell Magazine. There's a lot of interesting background, photographs, etc.

Regards,
Spud

#24 BradfordWW1

BradfordWW1

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:17 PM

Wow that sounds interesting - funny that they had time/resources to produce a magazine at the time what with paper shortages etc! Trying to keep focussed on Bradford as there is so much to research in that one town alone it would be easy to get sidetracked and get distracted looking at surrounding towns and villages!

thanks kathryn

#25 BradfordWW1

BradfordWW1

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

I have just updated the website on my BradfordWW1 site to include links to other websites including those that have transcribed memorials and a u- tube video

Reply to this topic