The Shooting Party (1985)

5 replies to this topic

#1 seadog

seadog

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

For those not watching rugby or football tomorrow (Sun 5th) I highly recommend this film on BBC2 TV (No Interuptions) Starring James Mason, Edward Fox and Dorothy Tutin to name but a few of the "Greats". Starts 2.55.....................

More:
The Shooting Party

Norman

#2 Michelle Young

Michelle Young

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,703 posts
  • Interests:1914, 1915-the forgotten battlefields- scoring and watching cricket, walking, cooking,real ale, red wine, single malt, motorcycles, and my family

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

Thanks Norman, I'll set the recorder, a darn good film and excellent book

Michelle

#3 seadog

seadog

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

I agree Michelle a very atmospheric film with overhanging it all the sure prospect of a world shortly to end with the carnage of the Great War,

Regards
Norman

#4 Jesse

Jesse

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 366 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

Yes, a "hidden treasure" and a personal favorite, it's a wonderful period film with some excellent acting. One of those rarities where the film is actually as good or better than the book, I made sure to have a copy in my personal catalogue some years ago, and can enjoy watching it still.

#5 conner

conner

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 710 posts
  • Interests:I am a Vancouver lawyer, prosecuting criminal offences. My interest tends to focus on the Somme and in particular the attacks of the first day on Beaumont Hamel and Thiepval, the Malins film and the November battles around Beaucourt. I have visited the Somme and Ypres on several occasions and Afghanistan (for work purposes)

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

Ah! A favourite of mine. James Mason's last film. Great performances by James Mason and Edward Fox.

#6 PJA

PJA

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:48 PM

Yes, the scene depicting James Mason saying a prayer and weeping over the dying beater is poignant and very nuanced.

To think that the film virtually coincided with the seventieth anniversary of the conflict, and that we are now on the threshold of the Centennial, is a bit disconcerting.

Phil (PJA)