Medal Ribbon

13 replies to this topic

#1 Edward1

Edward1

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

Would a forum member kindly identify the medal ribbon of the unknown Yorks & Lancs soldier?
Thanking you

Attached Files

#2 roughdiamond

roughdiamond

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM)

Sam

#3 Edward1

Edward1

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

Thank you roughdiamond
Eddie

#4 HarryBettsMCDCM

HarryBettsMCDCM

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,072 posts
  • Interests:A Life Long{So Far} Interest,Collection & Research Of All Campaign,Gallantry & Service Medals;Particularly those Awarded to Men who served with the 1/1st Cambridgeshire Regiment TF;1908 ~ 1939 & Antecedents[3rdVB Suffolk R.]/1st & 2nd Bns TA[1939~46]Medals Trios & Groups To The 6th Service Battalion The Northamptonshire Regiment,& For Variety Unusual Groups to the Royal Regiment of Artillery & Army Service Corps{RASC}

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

Looks later with Collar Dog being worn,..Africa Star..?? :thumbsup:

#5 Staffsyeoman

Staffsyeoman

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,273 posts
  • Interests:Royal Warwickshire Regiment, Medals and Awards, uniform

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

Not in that jacket. I'm going to be left field and suggest that I think the central stripe is too narrow for a DCM and that it is in fact a British War Medal. And that the picture was taken in the period after wear of the ribbon was authorised (in early 1919) and before the Allied Victory Medal was instituted. A mixture of the light and the type of film have bleached out the edge stripes.

#6 Ian Riley

Ian Riley

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,364 posts
  • Interests:Liverpool Scottish
    King's (Liverpool Regiment)
    55th and 57th Divisions
    Applications of mathematics to warfare
    Development in operations and logistics

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

(Very) Wild card - Military Cross to a warrant officer? Any sign of rank badges? The watch chain bar in the breast pocket buttonhole might indicate a soldier of some position - hardly usual

Ian

#7 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Lieut-General

• Old Sweat
  • 10,705 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

Even more off the wall:

Y&L WO II MC, before 1919 when BWM and VM ribbons issued, he did not go over until 1916.

[evidence: we know some Y&L wore collar dogs [see thread] and the more senior you were, the more likely to get away with it. No 1914 or 14-15 ribbon. All WO could be considered for MC or MM [again, a thread here]. Very short period between BWM and Victory medals, so unlikely BWM]

I rest my shaky case.

Any advance?

Can we see the whole shot, please?

#8 Edward1

Edward1

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 590 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

Here is the the full photo.
It is from a friends album which has his father posing with other WW1 soldiers and about 8 other postcard/photos of soldiers from the Yorks & Lancs and Northumberland Fusiliers, none of which he can identify. Plus a few silk pocket postcards.

Attached Files

#9 roughdiamond

roughdiamond

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

No way he's a WO

Sam

#10 auchonvillerssomme

auchonvillerssomme

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 10,160 posts
  • Interests:First World War in general, Somme specifically. War memorials and losses.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

DCM? it must be a very silky, shiny ribbon to cause that effect. You can see faint lines down the edges, BWM.

#11 Stoppage Drill

Stoppage Drill

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

Temperance Medal. It's pinned on rather than stitched, and in wrong place for a single ribbon. Quote

"Temperance organizations typically issued medals or badges to their members to mark a given number of years of <br soft="">good standing with the organization. These medals were not officially approved by the British Crown for wear on <br soft="">uniforms but it is not uncommon to see them appear unofficially in photographs such as this one. They would have <br soft="">been removed after the photographic session. Often ignored my present day medal collectors these medals none <br soft="">the less offer an insight into the lives of the soldiers who often proudly wore them.

Look at first ribbon in this link.

http://www.stewartbo...rance_Medal.htm

And of course his regiment recruited in the heartland of the Temperance Movement, Band of Hope founded in Leeds.

#12 Ian Riley

Ian Riley

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,364 posts
    55th and 57th Divisions

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

No way he's a WO

Sam

Agreed - unlikely (though, like policemen, they seem to look younger these days), now we have seen the full photograph but I thought it was a suggestion worth making (and still think so on the basis of the evidence then available).

Pre-war Regular Army? India General Service Medal 1908? The 1st Bn Northumberland Fusliers (see #8) were there but not the Y&L . However, if that's a WW1 photo, he doesn't look quite old enough to have put on six years or so since service on the North West Frontier.

Edited by Ian Riley, 11 February 2012 - 04:41 PM.

#13 Stoppage Drill

Stoppage Drill

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

Rather hoping for some comment on my opinion about it being a temperance medal ?

#14 Ian Riley

Ian Riley

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,364 posts
    55th and 57th Divisions

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:11 AM

I am afraid that I don't know anything about temperance medals but I think that I have seen other (authorised) ribbons being worn to justify with the inner seam of the breast pocket. rather than in the centre

Ian