44th Coy Army Ordnance Corps - Egypt

6 replies to this topic

#1 Calamity

Calamity

Corporal

• Members2
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

My grandfather served with the 44th Coy Army Ordnance Corps in Egupt, between the end of 1915 and 1918. I would be very grateful if anyone could shed any light on where they may have been stationed on what kind of work they would have been involved with. I have many postcards and photos which would suggest Alexandria. Also have photos of camp life, including AOC Sports Day in Egypt 1916.

#2 munster

munster

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

Hi The AOC looked after the maintainence of armaments and ammunition probably a very basic answer but someone who is versed on same is sure to be along.Some info on link below.john
http://en.wikipedia...._Ordnance_Corps

#3 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

Pages 100-103 of “The Advance of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force” have an article titled 'Ordnance Work in the Palestine and Syria Campaigns; A brief review' which may give you some help with the type of work which the AOC did. The book can be down-loaded from here http://www.archive.o...ofadv00grearich

#4 Calamity

Calamity

Corporal

• Members2
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

Thank you so very much for this link, it's proved to be very enlightening as to what was happening on the ground, and I've actually found 44 Coy AOC mentioned in a listing for the Command Depot (presumably Abbassia from what I can gather?).

Pages 100-103 of "The Advance of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force" have an article titled 'Ordnance Work in the Palestine and Syria Campaigns; A brief review' which may give you some help with the type of work which the AOC did. The book can be down-loaded from here http://www.archive.o...ofadv00grearich

#5 gdgibbo

gdgibbo

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

My grandfather also served in Egypt with the AOC, though I am not sure with which company. He was stationed at Camp Gabbari near Alexandria from 1915 to 1918 and was with 'E' Group for at least some of that time, issuing gun parts, rangefinders, binoculars etc. I have several of his photos from that time including a couple of group shots on the back of which he has written the names of his comrades. Let me have your grandfather's name and I'll see if he is by any chance on either of them. Geoff

#6 Calamity

Calamity

Corporal

• Members2
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

Hi Geoff, many apologies that I haven't replied to you before now, for some reason your post hadn't flagged up on my email. My grandfather's name was Arthur Lomas. Many thanks, Clare.

#7 gdgibbo

gdgibbo

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

Hi Clare, same here, must check my settings.

I've had a look at the photos and unfortunately Arthur Lomas isn't named on any of them. Regards, Geoff

Reply to this topic