Ordnance Site at Dolgwili?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Stanley_C_Jenkins

Stanley_C_Jenkins

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 371 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

I have come across an obscure reference to a Ministry of Munitions site at Dolgwili, to the north of Carmarthen, which was served by railway sidings situated on the up side of the "Carmarthen & Cardigan" line, 2 miles 49 chains from Carmarthen Junction. The siding was opened late in the war, circa 1918 (although, in earlier years, around 1885, a siding had been provided on approximately the same site to serve 'the Patent, Slate, Brick & Sanitary Tube Co'). The siding connection and associated ground frame were taken out of use in May 1928. Could this infrastructure have been used in connection with the disposal of shells and other ordnance? Or did Dolgwili have a more active role in the Great War?

#2 Terry_Reeves

Terry_Reeves

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

Stanley

I suspect that this file at the National Archives may give a clue:

MT 6/2573/ Great Western Railway: Dolgwili, Carmarthen. Top File No: R4598 1918-1919

TR

#3 Stanley_C_Jenkins

Stanley_C_Jenkins

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 371 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

I think this MT file refers to the installation of a siding and associated ground frame for the Ministry of Munitions., which was in situ by 10 December 1918 and taken out of use on 15.5.1928. In other words, after the war - hence my suggestion that it may have been a disposal site.